Which Lens should I buy?

Naughtygoat said, "My £200.00 second hand rx100 is good enough for (the strict) Alamy". (My bold and underline). 

Alamy QC is not strict by most professional standards. They simply require a photographer knows the minmum size of file they require, (which they publish clearly), how to focus a camera and hold it still, get the exposure right, and use a decent lens

to avoid ca and the like. Not strict at all. Very, very basic. If you do think it's strict then you ain't seen nothing yet!

• 3 weeks later...

...I adore the pre-raphaelites firstly.  Dante Gabrielle Rossetti is my all time favourite.  Also love Klimt, Munch, Mcintosh, etc, etc.  I can sit looking at paintings for hours.

Great to hear your opinions.

Vickie.

https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/reflections-van-eyck-and-the-pre-raphaelites

Oh, to make this event suggestion for NaughtyGoat loosely connected with the forum. I'm suggesting it for 'Keyword' and "Your lens will be 'fine' because someone from AFP might even get stuck in traffic - its all well and good having the best equipment, but its much better to be there" etc practice.

I like Munch too. My favourites include Bosch, Holbein, Monet and Rembrandt.

Naughtygoat said, "My £200.00 second hand rx100 is good enough for (the strict) Alamy". (My bold and underline). 

Alamy QC is not strict by most professional standards. They simply require a photographer knows the minmum size of file they require, (which they publish clearly), how to focus a camera and hold it still, get the exposure right, and use a decent lens

to avoid ca and the like. Not strict at all. Very, very basic. If you do think it's strict then you ain't seen nothing yet!

Really?

100% for my A58 is the equivalent of a 78"x52" enlargement at 70dpi. I never blew up even 6x6 to anything near that. Nor I suspect did many people.

Not difficult to achieve, but hardly "very,very basic".

If you want to have an inexpensive macro, both Nikon and I believe Canon make screw on diopters that screw on like a filter over the lens. They magnify what you are looking at and let you get closer using lens quality glass and work quite well. Not quite as well as a real macro but I have some online here.

I believe they are 52mm size so you'd need to see what size filter your camera takes (if it takes one) and then get a step up or step down adapter for it to fit if the filter size is close to 52mm.  I've used my Nikon 4T and 2 on my Nikon 50mm, my macro 105mm and my 35mm lenses (the filter size is different than the lens mm - those all take a 52mm filter) and also on my Olympus lenses using appropriate step up/stepdown rings. It looks like Nikon also makes a 5T and 6T with a 62mm filter size. There are other Nikons in the series they don't mention like the 2 but here's some info:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Nikon-Tseries-closeup-lenses-68725

This was using a legacy 50mm Nikon lens on my old Nikon D70 years ago before I got a dedicated macro:

close-up-of-a-common-eastern-bumble-bee-

And this was last year on my inexpensive Olympus 40-150mm lens with a step up filter using my Olympus OMD-E1:

pollen-covered-eastern-carpenter-bee-xyl

I'm going to be getting a dedicated macro for the Olympus and also upgrading to the pro 40-150 lens once I sell my Nikon equipment, but I like those little screw on lenses when I am out hiking with my camera and my back isn't up to carrying a lot of kit.

Bring your camera with you to a reputable camera store and ask them about these lenses and try them to see if they work for your camera (does it allow a screw on filter?) Also, each lens is for a different focal distance (e.g. 35-50mm or over 100mm) so that's something to consider too. Don't know anything about the Sony but if it takes a filter around 52mm or 62mm you might enjoy getting one of these. Or call B&H or Adorama and ask them. I think they allow returns in 15 days. 

If you want to have an inexpensive macro, both Nikon and I believe Canon make screw on diopters that screw on like a filter over the lens. They magnify what you are looking at and let you get closer using lens quality glass and work quite well. Not quite as well as a real macro but I have some online here.

I believe they are 52mm size so you'd need to see what size filter your camera takes (if it takes one) and then get a step up or step down adapter for it to fit if the filter size is close to 52mm.  I've used my Nikon 4T and 2 on my Nikon 50mm, my macro 105mm and my 35mm lenses (the filter size is different than the lens mm - those all take a 52mm filter) and also on my Olympus lenses using appropriate step up/stepdown rings. It looks like Nikon also makes a 5T and 6T with a 62mm filter size. There are other Nikons in the series they don't mention like the 2 but here's some info:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Nikon-Tseries-closeup-lenses-68725

This was using a legacy 50mm Nikon lens on my old Nikon D70 years ago before I got a dedicated macro:

close-up-of-a-common-eastern-bumble-bee-

And this was last year on my inexpensive Olympus 40-150mm lens with a step up filter using my Olympus OMD-E1:

pollen-covered-eastern-carpenter-bee-xyl

I'm going to be getting a dedicated macro for the Olympus and also upgrading to the pro 40-150 lens once I sell my Nikon equipment, but I like those little screw on lenses when I am out hiking with my camera and my back isn't up to carrying a lot of kit.

Bring your camera with you to a reputable camera store and ask them about these lenses and try them to see if they work for your camera (does it allow a screw on filter?) Also, each lens is for a different focal distance (e.g. 35-50mm or over 100mm) so that's something to consider too. Don't know anything about the Sony but if it takes a filter around 52mm or 62mm you might enjoy getting one of these. Or call B&H or Adorama and ask them. I think they allow returns in 15 days. 

That's very useful.  Thank you.

Vickie.

If you can use filters on the RX100 (with an adapter, I guess), Hoya makes inexpensive close-up lenses that screw on to the front of the lens. They come in various diameters. I think my set cost about $35. They work quite well if you don't stack them.

Here's a review.

Hi John.  I mean Santa.

The above is exactly what I have bought.  Thanks.

I found a code for free DX0 version 9.  Am now using it.  Thanks a lot for suggesting it.

Not asking you how to use it, but in your opinion, is it very inferior to Lightroom or Photoshop?  It's fine for me at the moment, and I haven't made use of all the modules available yet....

Cheers.

Vickie.

I found a code for free DX0 version 9.  Am now using it.  Thanks a lot for suggesting it.

Not asking you how to use it, but in your opinion, is it very inferior to Lightroom or Photoshop?  It's fine for me at the moment, and I haven't made use of all the modules available yet....

Cheers.

Vickie.

DxO Optics Pro is a very advanced raw converter (i.e. a program for converting raw images). Lightroom has a very advanced raw converter and functions as a very good image database (essential when you start getting a lot of images to look after) as well as a number of other things such integration with Google Maps and fairly advanced printing. It would not be possible to use just DxO Optics Pro to manage a large image collection - a database (also called a DAM) is essential.

Photoshop is a pixel image editor, far superior to any other pixel image editor on the planet. It used to be absolutely essential to do pixel editing and most people used Photoshop or Photoshop Elements but that is no longer the case and many photographers are now using an advanced raw converter alone. For me, life would not be worth living without Photoshop but I can understand how photographers can function without it.

Cheers.

Vickie.

DxO Optics Pro is a very advanced raw converter (i.e. a program for converting raw images). Lightroom has a very advanced raw converter and functions as a very good image database (essential when you start getting a lot of images to look after) as well as a number of other things such integration with Google Maps and fairly advanced printing. It would not be possible to use just DxO Optics Pro to manage a large image collection - a database (also called a DAM) is essential.

Photoshop is a pixel image editor, far superior to any other pixel image editor on the planet. It used to be absolutely essential to do pixel editing and most people used Photoshop or Photoshop Elements but that is no longer the case and many photographers are now using an advanced raw converter alone. For me, life would not be worth living without Photoshop but I can understand how photographers can function without it.

Ha ha.

Great.  Thanks for that info.  I reckon I'll be o.k with DX0 for 5 minutes.  Will get Photoshop when necessary.

Vickie.

Will get Photoshop when necessary.

You will probably find Elements perfectly adequate, and an older (and cheaper) version at that. Until very recently I was using Elements 5 which did absolutely everything I needed. I upgraded to PSE 10 a couple of months ago purely because PSE 5 would no longer save JPEGs in Windows 10 (I still prefer PSE 5 though).

Alan

Will get Photoshop when necessary.

You will probably find Elements perfectly adequate, and an older (and cheaper) version at that. Until very recently I was using Elements 5 which did absolutely everything I needed. I upgraded to PSE 10 a couple of months ago purely because PSE 5 would no longer save JPEGs in Windows 10 (I still prefer PSE 5 though).

Alan

That's encouraging to hear. I'm still using PSE 5 (how embarrassing). It has a clean, simple interface and still does the job for me.

Archived