Hi Tiazeg ! Just like the $0.90 sale came through, sales for other amounts too would come in. WE as sellers don't MAKE any sales happen OURSELVES, big or small. Proper keywording, the relative use-suitability & the overall quality of the image pulls the client IN, and MAY result in an actual transaction. Just be patient. Keep developing your portfolio, and the sales, big & small, shall start trickling in. Also, if you're signed-up for "Novel Use" scheme, you may well be seeing quite a few lowly sales, as reported by you. Cheers.

Tiazeg

The price paid to Alamy for an image depends on a large number of factors, determined by Alamy and the purchaser. 

Those images selling for 3 figure prices tend to be images used in print, eg. textbooks, and for commercial reasons like advertising. Those selling for tiny amounts tend to be for web use only, and also are being bought by companies who have a bulk purchase agreement with Alamy like many online newspaper websites 

Kumar

"How to make BIG Sales": Take BIG Pictures........

P.S. $100-200 are not big sales....

You took the words right out of my mouth, although $100 is a big sale compared to $0.90. Mind you $1 is big compared to $0.90

At an agency you don't have any control over pricing. My widest range for the same image is 100:1. The same image can easily sell for $5 on the newspaper scheme or $300 for a book. The important thing is the average.

My best ever sale for a 4 figure sum, there were only 7 images of that particular building on Alamy, so that can be a factor too.

John.

I don't see how the exclusivity of an image should influence the price on Alamy. If you have less competition on a certain subject, it will increase your chances of selling something, but the price stays the same. Would be great though if Alamy could charge higher prices in such cases.

BTW, all my sales so far have been of subjects which are not well covered on Alamy (<100 pics), but the prices were mediocre.

Christoph

give up on stock and go into real estate... 

I now have 13 positive votes, can risk a few red flags again  :ph34r:

Really, I wish I knew it. I think those sales are to magazines, books, textbooks and the like. The small sales owe to blogs and stuff like that. 

I hadn't had a single sale all year until two weeks ago, when suddenly there was a sale of $384. The image was the simplest thing you could imagine, taken in my own back garden. You upload and you wait. There is absolutely no control other than appropriate keywording that I know of.

I think the OP has some good images... I suspect it's probably a case of adding greater volume.. as I think Philippe said in another thread somewhere.. it's a bit like fishing.. the more bait you have out there, the more chance you have of catching the big fish!

At the risk of going off on a bit of a tangent... I see the OP is very keen on adding text over images to support concepts. I think this surely drastically reduces your chance of selling an image and will damage your CTR. For example:

breastfeeding-quote-g33kfd.jpg

This is a lovely image.. but who is going to buy it with all that text about breastfeeding? If someone wanted to make a poster or a leaflet about breastfeeding then they probably have the ability to add this text for themselves. But a company which sells baby milk formula, or a journalist writing an article on baby development have now been excluded from buying this image.

And another example:

international-food-day-g4gkhk.jpg

Is World Food day on the 16th October every year... or just this year? Even if it's every year, that's one day in 365 days that this image is useful to a very niche audience. But if anyone outside of that niche finds your image when searching for any of:

breakfastcelebrationconceptdaydinnereateggfarmfarmerfoodfood dayfruitfruitsgardenhealthhealthyholidayinternationallunchmarketoctoberoctober 16thorganicrestaurantvegetablevegetablesworld food day

.. then your CTR just took a hit.

Others might disagree.. but I would tend to think that anyone who wants to put some text over the top of an image probably has the know-how and technology to do so!

Archived