wow, I can see you are new to Alamy!  How many nearly identical shots are there of that wolf?  Why would anyone do that? Alamy says 5 max. Give us a break and save yourself a whole lot of keywording. 

You can batch process to a certain extent on Manage Images, and you can cut and paste from any document. A word document on the side would do. I've even been known to use a post-it note as that is small and can be positioned in a handy spot.  Post it notes will have come with your iMac

I agree with Robert. Cull some of the wolf and some of the fireworks images. You need a nice varied selection as in the bottom lines on your page of images.

Personally I do not present more than three similars and those are noticeably different in some way.

Don't be disheartened by our comments just keep loading a variety of good images well keyworded and sales will come to you.

I was not keen on keywording but am now used to it. Do not try to fill the boxes with non relevant wording as this will affect your CTR and lower your ranking.. If you cannot think of lots of keywords when looking at the image just put in what is necessary to get it seen for what it is.

Allan

You can preload your keywords using Lightroom, but then they all appear within the Comprehensive section of the Manage Images Keywords and you have to shunt them around. 

I believe that there is some clever software available that allows you to upload into the required slots, but I've not used it.

The batch processing option within Manage Images is very useful, but you need to take a bit of care.

My first move after passing QC is to batch process the Attributes of all of the shots (with the exception of the number of people) as this stuff is normally generic to all or most of your photos.

My next move is to batch process the Location field for all those images that were taken in the same place. I often paste some of this into the Caption field at this stage.

Finally I copy and paste relevant bits from the Comprehensive section ( completed in LR) into the other fields and edit as necessary. You can then copy and paste entire sections between images where appropriate. (You can have two Manage Images windows open simultaneously, with different images in the two).

A word of warning about batch processing, if you elect to batch process any particular field then any previous entries within that field will be lost. You can't easily batch add additional words that way - something that contributors have been asking for for as long as I have been a contributor!

I have to agree also about the similars in your port. For example the wolf photos. They are really great. Just to many simillars if not exactly the same. At the end this great photos of that wolf will end up at the bottom and nobody will even see them. There are 5 photos in a row that are exactly the same. The costumer has nothing to choose from. It is like you are going to a clothing store and you find only 20 exactly the same t-shirts with same color and size. It fills the store but the effect is like you are selling just one T-Shirt. In Alamy case as good as nothing to sell since they end up below in the search engine.

In my opinion things are different if your would photograph 5 Volkswagen Golf cars from the same year same position but different colors for example. Then it is not really a similar since clients could want a specific color. But here it is important to mention the color in the title and keywords so you will not have for 5 photos the same title. If a costumer searches for blue Volkswagen Golf only 1 will show up instead of five. Thats why accurate keywording and captions are very important.

I am not a master myself but i am allready working on boosting mine as well.

Mirco

New to Alamy.  Not new to microstock as I have ports on at least 8 other agencies.  I use Adobe Lightroom CC to edit and keyword all my images.  Every other agency is able to pick up the metadata as far as keywords, name and description of each photo uploaded which by the way sell well on other agencies.  I use the keyboard more than the mouse as I work in IT and it's far faster for me to type and use keyboard shortcuts.  I work on both Mac and PC so shortcuts are not a problem for me.  Thought there would be an easier way but I guess not on this site.

• 2 months later...

I agree with Josef Pittner. I am new in Alamy and also work with many micro stock agencies. All them recognize all the keywords registered in Lightroom metadata, which makes it much easier to upload and manage the images. I have been unpleasantly surprised to see that the Alamy system does not automatically recognize these metadata...  and has three keywords categories!!!??? I see that the ultimate answer to this thread is March, and since then nothing has changed. Had thought upload numerous photos to Alamy, but do it with this system would be a real torture. I'll wait to change.

• 2 weeks later...

Josef, Alamy has some changes in the works....eventually...and we can only hope some of those changes will make keywording easier.

I seem to spend more time doing that than shooting.

Hi Betty,

Glad to hear that Keyboarding feature is being worked on. What I would like to be able to do, because many of my presets are almost the same, is to set a default response for each image so that I don''t have to repetitively select each drop down again and again. Must be an easier way? Let's hope so. :-)

• 6 months later...

Josef, this is a minor problem when compared to your endless and pointless number of similar images, but I see that you have stated that your images are "digitally altered." Routine editing in Lightroom or PhotoShop is NOT considered digital altering. Good luck.

The reason I posted was because I ran into a problem searching for my own images to check out the search engine changes.  When I do a search for "grand canyon arizona" the first few pages are fine but starting on page 3 I get scores of Josef's duplicate images that continue to page 14 when I use "New" and 100 per page.  It gives the impression that Alamy doesn't have control of its own website.  I saw that Josef viewed this thread yesterday shortly after I posted, but I guess he doesn't have anything to say.  You can see here what I am talking about. 

Out of the first 100 images on Josef's port, I would not have submitted more than 10-11. A huge failure is none of them are verticals.

Josef, numbers aren't everything. Your images are well-exposed, but you need to restrain yourself when out in the field.

In the subject matter you have on the first page, I would limit myself to one or two horizontals. I might take 2 or three and pick the sharpest to submit. Then, I would zoom that scene and take two or three, submit the sharpest.

Then take a couple in vertical. Same as above.

So what you'd end up with is 4 at the most. One zoomed out horizontal, one zoomed horizontal, one zoomed out vertical, one zoomed in vertical. Clearly different-looking images. Instead, you've ended up with dozens of just alike or close to just alike images that make my eyes glaze over to the point that none look interesting.

The object here is to inspire the interest of a buyer, not bore them to tears. You could have a good port. But if it were mine, I would ruthlessly go through it.

First, decide on a few images, the best, of a scene. For the rest of similars, delete all of the keywords from the boxes. Seems like you can't delete the caption, but you can put nonsense letters to replace the caption. Like XZXZXZ.

Wait one day for the system to update, then go back and put those stripped images up for deletion.

You will end up with about 1/4 of what you have now, but your port will be more visually interesting. Your CTR should improve, and your chances of sales will improve. Not overnight, but eventually.

And in the future, restrain yourself in the field and what you upload.

Then the subject of your original post won't be such a pain, because you'll have far fewer images to keyword. ;)

Archived