I'm going to sell my Nikon kit. It's not been used since I got my X-T1. D800, 24-70, latest 80-400, 105 macro, 50mm 1.8, all Nikon brands, and a Sigma 1.4 85mm. This one shot in maybe two shoots).

I've listed it on Craigslist but the people there are not biting.

I'm scared of eBay, I don't sell there so I don't have a reputation. I sold some hand-made jewelry there maybe 11 years ago by setting up a store, but closed that out and promptly forgot everything I knew, plus eBay has evolved since then. I had "chemo brain" then, lol. I don't understand the best way to list, or do I allow bids or just set a buy it now price. Scares me.

So I'm trying to figure out the best place to get the best prices on my kit which every piece is excellent or like new.

What experiences have you had with the online camera buy and sell businesses, who can you trust?

B&H? Who else?

Need some direction. I'd like to get this done because it will finance the X-T2 when it comes out and the Fuji macro lens when it is released. I already have the 100-400 on order.

So....should I try to figure out the eBay route or go with the places that buy used equipment?

Help!

Betty

I'm going to sell my Nikon kit. It's not been used since I got my X-T1. D800, 24-70, latest 80-400, 105 macro, 50mm 1.8, all Nikon brands, and a Sigma 1.4 85mm. This one shot in maybe two shoots).

I'm scared of eBay, I don't sell there so I don't have a reputation. I sold some hand-made jewelry there maybe 11 years ago by setting up a store, but closed that out and promptly forgot everything I knew, plus eBay has evolved since then. I had "chemo brain" then, lol. I don't understand the best way to list, or do I allow bids or just set a buy it now price. Scares me.

So I'm trying to figure out the best place to get the best prices on my kit which every piece is excellent or like new.

What experiences have you had with the online camera buy and sell businesses, who can you trust?

B&H? Who else?

Need some direction. I'd like to get this done because it will finance the X-T2 when it comes out and the Fuji macro lens when it is released. I already have the 100-400 on order.

So....should I try to figure out the eBay route or go with the places that buy used equipment?

Help!

Betty

I am putting my Canon, Mamiya and other kit up for sale with a photo dealer who sells on commission. They take 20% but that is better than part-exchange (at least here in the UK with 20% sales tax), but that covers ALL the sales costs and they give a warranty. I am working on the basis that a dealer and warranty will give buyers comfort so that they will pay a slightly higher price. They have been a major player in the used market for a long time and they come recommended (Ffordes). It goes next week and then the kit is out of my hair, I just have to wait until it sells and the return period is passed and then I get my money.

They are no good for you as they are based in Scotland. But there may be someone in US who does the same?

It's for the  same purpose as you Betty, I have my Fuji 100-400mm on order and the rest will go for 1, maybe 2, X-T1s this summer hopefully.

I recently put all my APS kit on eBay when I got the full frame D750. Its really hit and miss, some of the pieces went for good prices and others went for very low. Overall I came out with about what I expected. My personal rule with ebay is to not buy or sell anything at a value that I can't shrug off and put down to experience.  I have never had  a problem with eBay but  I don't use it much - my reputation is only 160 after ten years - but there are horror stories out there. It only takes someone to say that you sent a broken lens and you can end up with headaches. If I had mint condition high value items like you are listing I think I would try to contact someone who buys used equipment. You may end up with a bit less than if you ebayed it but you might end up saving tears. Do you have kijiji where you are or is that a Canadian thing. Are there any stores that will sell for you on commission? Good luck with it

Colin 

B&H? Who else?

Help!

Betty

Adorama is where I've been selling. I don't trust eBay anymore.

https://www.adorama.com/pages/usedQuote

Craigslist has always worked well for me. However, I've only sold items of relatively low value. I imagine that it's a lot more difficult selling high-end equipment like Betty's, also riskier.

I've heard people say good things about KEH, but I don't know anything about them. Perhaps someone else has experience with them.

I sell lots every week via Ebay, last week that included a Sinar F going to France...... no problems in many hundreds of transactions.  Provided you play by the rules, Ebay/Paypal is as secure a way to sell/buy as anywhere on line. Follow the guidelines and be sensible about where/how you send items.

In the UK I also use Ffordes for commission sales, not sure if there's any similar photography businesses in USA.

DDoug....Oh my gosh, I forgot about the Nikonians. I used to be a member, but let membership lapse. I sold some things there in the past. I guess it might be worth joining up again just to try there.

Colin, no kijiji here.

KEH and Adorama is worth looking into, John and Ed.

Also, I guess I should ask my local camera shop what their policy is. Good idea.

Geoff, :) after being reminded some cheater could claim false damage, you didn't convince me about eBay!

Again, my friends, you have come through for me. I have lots of options to check out.

As far as Craigslist goes, I used to have good luck there. Sold a DX Nikon lens through them and hubby and I met the buyer in the lobby of Walmart. Also sold my computer, wood meat smoker, and hubby's power tools among many other things. I guess no one is in the market for high end photo equipment.

Thank you!

Geoff, :) after being reminded some cheater could claim false damage, you didn't convince me about eBay!

Betty,

Your call, not my experience though. I've bought individual items worth over £2k on Ebay on more than one occasion, bought a Canon 180mm macro from Texas and on the other side of the coin, sell to many countries each week...... fraud cases....only once when I bought some software that was fake and had a complete refund.

It's not about Ebay but about how you pay for an item or sell an item....... and the safeguards you have. That's the problem with places like Craigslist or UK's Gumtree, you don't have an integrated system for safe transfer of money/goods. Many camera suppliers have Ebay shops...so clearly they see it as a vital part of modern commerce. I buy off Gumtree, bought some stock a few days ago but selling safely via any distance is not an option and that is a major drawback.

TBH, I have more issues with couriers than I do with Ebay user....but that's a whole different can of worms.

B&H? Who else?

Help!

Betty

Adorama is where I've been selling. I don't trust eBay anymore.

https://www.adorama.com/pages/usedQuote

B&H in NYC also buys used and they are good to deal with!

I brought a Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 zoom to B&H. They offered me $1,000. Two days later I sold it at Adorama for $1,100. I had planned to put it on eBay with a low-hold of $1,400 . . . because both eBay and PayPal take a cut. I was in and out of Adorama in about 25 mins with a cheque in my hand. I've been dragging my feet on selling things, but I've sold about 7 items at Adorama, all for what I thought was a fair, if not great, price. 

It's nice to know that people can still buy and sell things on eBay safely in the UK. And having a long record of buying and selling on eBay counts a lot. Being in NYC, myself, I did not have to put an ad with photos on eBay, insure, pack or ship anything -- all that adds value for me. Lenses retain their value better than camera bodies, of course. Smaller local shops do not have a big enough audience to turn things over in a timely manner.  

I won't tell you my Nikonians story, but it's Kafkaesque. 

I brought a Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 zoom to B&H. They offered me $1,000. Two days later I sold it at Adorama for $1,100. I had planned to put it on eBay with a low-hold of $1,400 . . . because both eBay and PayPal take a cut. I was in and out of Adorama in about 25 mins with a cheque in my hand. I've been dragging my feet on selling things, but I've sold about 7 items at Adorama, all for what I thought was a fair, if not great, price. 

It's nice to know that people can still buy and sell things on eBay safely in the UK. And having a long record of buying and selling on eBay counts a lot. Being in NYC, myself, I did not have to put an ad with photos on eBay, insure, pack or ship anything -- all that adds value for me. Lenses retain their value better than camera bodies, of course. Smaller local shops do not have a big enough audience to turn things over in a timely manner.

Good to hear Edo! I had a bad experience with Adorama about 10 years, selling my Mamiya RZ system and that has really stuck with me. They gave me a nice quote over the phone and my description was very accurate, regarding condition, but once they got my stuff, they lowered their offer considerably. Perhaps they have changed their ways!!

On this moment for the best place to be is there where the pizza was on ones of Ed's photos on page 2. The ideal thin pizza that reminds me to visit Italy soon :). I hope you enjoyed it after taking the photo.

Sorry that i left topic for a minute.

Mirco

Betty,

I just sold an extra tripod on craigslist.  I have another NIKKOR, high-end MF telephoto that I'm not having

such good luck selling, even though that price is right.  I've bought and sold photo equipment on eBay for

a decade, I have a 100% rating as both a buyer and seller.  I've not had a problem selling on eBay.  I make

sure I know what I'm selling, I photograph it well, without retouching, and I make sure the description is 100%

accurate.  Lastly and most importantly I use the equipment before packing, so I have a record, and photograph

the packing and contents, all date stamped.

eBay is worth the trouble to me.  I don't like selling or trading in equipment to stores.

You're right, Michael -- Adorama was a mess 10 years ago. They revamped their operation since then. 

Mirco, the same thing has happened with pizzerias in NYC. They had really gone down hill for a time, but now there are many great pizza places, with authentic wood-burning brick ovens. Do you know the Neapolitan slang word kesté? It means "this is it," and there's a pizzeria here with that name.  :)

Ciao, Edo

Hi Betty,

There's a Nikon sales forum on facebook, connected to a big Nikon users group there.  I haven't used it but it might be worth checking out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NDCPESalesForum/

Maria

Thank you, Maria. I have just asked to join. Darrell is a long-standing internet friend of mine. He published one of my images in Mastering the D7000. He's a peach of a guy.

Hey Betty,

Other than CL, Adorama, KEH, and Ebay, I have bought and sold a handful of lenses/cameras on the Fred Miranda Buy and Sell forums. The majority of my extensive lens collection ( yes I need all of them :P ) was bought used, and the FM forums have always been easy to use, the community there are a bunch of reliable folks.

Good luck with your sale.

Riley

EDITED- where did I get the name Maria from... ?

Pity you are on the other side of the pond Betty as I would be interested in one or two pieces but post and customs would make it very costly.

Allan

Pity you are on the other side of the pond Betty as I would be interested in one or two pieces but post and customs would make it very costly.

Allan

As would a plane ticket to this side of the pond. A shame. Just checked my actuation, and, my word, only 8068. And I imagine the majority of those were indoor studio, jewelry gig.

I expect it is the lenses you like.

Allan

As would a plane ticket to this side of the pond. A shame. Just checked my actuation, and, my word, only 8068. And I imagine the majority of those were indoor studio, jewelry gig.

I expect it is the lenses you like.

Yes a couple of the lenses. Still I will search locally.

Best of luck with your sale. :)

Allan

Archived