File Size not Big Enough for Upload RAW images

Hello, 

Apologies, I've found similar threads to this, it seems to be a common problem but I can't find a solution to mine! 

I shoot in RAW on a Nikon D5100 - this gives me RAW files between 15 - 18mb. On the D5100, if you shoot in RAW, you cannot choose the "size" of the image - i've looked to increase resolution but I can't find any other settings on the camera (and I assumed RAW files between 15-18mb would be big enough)

When I try process in CS5 and save as JPEG, some of the images just aren't big enough. I've tried to blow up the image and this doesn't always increase the file size sufficiently. This is when I have quality up full to 12. I usually edit them in camera RAW then go to CS5. If I open an image in CS5 without editing or resizing, the file size in the bottom left corner shows around 10 mb. Sometimes a resize will help with these pictures, but not all of them - why am I struggling so much with file size?! I've been banging my head against a brick wall for a while now, I'd really appreciate a little help, is it just something stupid I'm doing here?! 

Thanks, 

M.

What do you mean by not big enough. I think Alamy are now happy with 6MP files. It is the pixel dimensions that counts not the MB size in JPEG. Eg 3600x2400 should be big enough, save this as JPEG and you get 2MB files.

This seems to be a different problem to the usual confusion over file size if, as you say, the document size at the bottom left in Photoshop is showing as 10Mb. That file is too small. My guess is that you are inadvertently decreasing the file size during the raw conversion. What raw converter are you using? If Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), then you need to check what conversion options you have set for size changes in the conversion by clicking at the bottom of the ACR dialog where it should say something like Adobe RGB (1998)..16 Bit....

Forget MB. In a jpeg it changes according to the amount of detail in the image. Think about MP.
I've looked at your images on sale. Your uncropped image size is 4928x3264, which is 16MP. Alamy's minimum is 6MP. What's the problem?

Your document size, BTW, is shown on your uncropped images at 46.3MB. This is three times the pixel count, as it should be.

I usually edit them in camera RAW then go to CS5. If I open an image in CS5 without editing or resizing, the file size in the bottom left corner shows around 10 mb.

This is the key to the question here and it is not the usual problem. If that is the case, then the megapixel size is about 3.3MP. Check the raw conversion.

I usually edit them in camera RAW then go to CS5. If I open an image in CS5 without editing or resizing, the file size in the bottom left corner shows around 10 mb.

This is the key to the question here and it is not the usual problem. If that is the case, then the megapixel size is about 3.3MP. Check the raw conversion.

I don't see how it could be the conversion from ACR - it's identical to LR, the whole point of which is a lossless conversion...

Forgive me for asking apparently silly questions but I can only think that you've missed something obvious:

• Are you sure that you're importing the RAW files and you're not taking JPG and RAW, then importing the JPG?
  • Your bottom left number in PS is actually set to show document size? 

If all else fails, take a test picture of something and post a link to the RAW and JPG files (dropbox or similar) and I or someone else here can have a look - at least that would eliminate some of the possible issues.

As MDM says, not the usual problem of misunderstanding Alamy file sizes.

I don't see how it could be the conversion from ACR - it's identical to LR, the whole point of which is a lossless conversion...

The conversion is identical but there are different options in ACR and Lightroom. In ACR, there is an option to resize during the conversion which is not available in Lightroom as far as I know. I think older versions of ACR (as with CS5) gave different options but I can't remember exactly what

The conversion is identical but there are different options in ACR and Lightroom. In ACR, there is an option to resize during the conversion which is not available in Lightroom as far as I know. I think older versions of ACR (as with CS5) gave different options but I can't remember exactly what

Interesting - I know that LR is a subset of ACR - i.e. you can "enhance" LR mods in ACR (more sophisticated masking etc. for the same effects).  I confess that I rarely use ACR,

Interesting - I know that LR is a subset of ACR - i.e. you can "enhance" LR mods in ACR (more sophisticated masking etc. for the same effects).  I confess that I rarely use ACR,

Exactly. The different interfaces provide different facilities but the conversion engine itself is the same in both. Lightroom for the most part has more going for it in that respect.

The conversion in ACR in LR is done at export so it's actually the same as in Photoshop except that in ACR in PS you are exporting when saving as an export file i.e. a jpeg/TIFF etc.

I don't use Bridge within Photoshop for raw conversions these days, rather Lightroom to PS, but in Bridge (my version is CS4) there is a size option at the bottom of the screen where you can select the output file size, and it is possible to select smaller sizes than the camera generates.

Just click on the image dimensions within Bridge and you can change the settings. Mine is set for 16 bit Tiff at the native resolution of the camera.

Not sure if that is the problem however  :unsure:

Hello, 

Apologies, I've found similar threads to this, it seems to be a common problem but I can't find a solution to mine! 

I shoot in RAW on a Nikon D5100 - this gives me RAW files between 15 - 18mb. On the D5100, if you shoot in RAW, you cannot choose the "size" of the image - i've looked to increase resolution but I can't find any other settings on the camera (and I assumed RAW files between 15-18mb would be big enough)

When I try process in CS5 and save as JPEG, some of the images just aren't big enough. I've tried to blow up the image and this doesn't always increase the file size sufficiently. This is when I have quality up full to 12. I usually edit them in camera RAW then go to CS5. If I open an image in CS5 without editing or resizing, the file size in the bottom left corner shows around 10 mb. Sometimes a resize will help with these pictures, but not all of them - why am I struggling so much with file size?! I've been banging my head against a brick wall for a while now, I'd really appreciate a little help, is it just something stupid I'm doing here?! 

Thanks, 

M.

You can't be getting RAWS at different sizes. They will always be the same MB every time. My Canon is an 18MP so my RAWS are always 51.3MB.  The only size that can vary is the JPEG as spacecadet has said. The finished JPEG will vary depending on the detail of the image. Lots of sky will give you a smaller jpg than a photo of a closeup of a bee on a flower.  And this isn't smaller is dimensions, but smaller in mb. The dimensions of your JPEGS will all be the same unless you go in to the Images dropdown and change the physical size of the document yourself. Look down in the bottom left hand corner of PS to see your images physical size. As in here:

pssizer.jpg

The number on your left is the current size of your document (or image). The number on the right is the original size of your document (or image)

Also, be sure the quality setting in PS when saving to JPEG is set to 10 or higher.

Jill

You can't be getting RAWS at different sizes. They will always be the same MB every time. My Canon is an 18MP so my RAWS are always 51.3MB. 

Also, be sure the quality setting in PS when saving to JPEG is set to 10 or higher.

Jill

Raws do vary. A lot even. The tiffs you get after you have processed your RAW files do not.

In PS the highest quality for JPEG is 12. This is what you use for Alamy.

In other photo editors it is usually 10. If that's the highest (like in Irfan) that is what you use for Alamy.

wim

Hello, 

Thanks, 

M.

You can't be getting RAWS at different sizes. They will always be the same MB every time. My Canon is an 18MP so my RAWS are always 51.3MB.  The only size that can vary is the JPEG as spacecadet has said. The finished JPEG will vary depending on the detail of the image. Lots of sky will give you a smaller jpg than a photo of a closeup of a bee on a flower.  And this isn't smaller is dimensions, but smaller in mb. The dimensions of your JPEGS will all be the same unless you go in to the Images dropdown and change the physical size of the document yourself. Look down in the bottom left hand corner of PS to see your images physical size. As in here:

Jill - this may be a bit pedantic of me but what you say is actually not true. RAW file sizes (.i.e. pixel size) can differ from the same camera. Some cameras have options for different image size formats (e.g 36X24, 30X20 etc) and even for different raw images in the same format (e.g the Nikon D810). Not to mention different compression options but that refers to the file size on disk, not the pixel size which is what we are concerned with here.

However, that is not the problem here. The OP clearly says his images show as 10Mb in the bottom left hand corner of Photoshop (as in your example image). So unless he is not describing his problem properly, then he is somehow downsizing his images as he converts them or perhaps as as he edits them in Photoshop but that seems unlikely. I eagerly await his return to find out what is happening.

The OP makes a very simple mistake: he/she converts his/her RAWs to JPEGs directly.

wim

But that wouldn't affect the pixel dimensions of the image which is what is shown in the document size info bar at the bottom left corner in Photoshop,

You can't be getting RAWS at different sizes. They will always be the same MB every time. My Canon is an 18MP so my RAWS are always 51.3MB. 

Jill

Raws do vary. A lot even. The tiffs you get after you have processed your RAW files do not.

In PS the highest quality for JPEG is 12. This is what you use for Alamy.

In other photo editors it is usually 10. If that's the highest (like in Irfan) that is what you use for Alamy.

wim

Original OP says there is no variation in size for RAWS on his camera. Mine also only does one size RAW.  Always 51.3. Never changes. I never do tiffs as I do almost all processing in ACR.

I was simply stating that Alamy's requirement is 10 or higher.

Jill

Hello, 

Thanks, 

M.

pssizer.jpg

The number on your left is the current size of your document (or image). The number on the right is the original size of your document (or image)

The stuff about raw file sizes is a diversion and irrelevant to the problem here. What you say there in your illustrated image about the numbers in the PS status bar is also incorrect however. The number on the left is the pixel dimensions on the document, the number on the right is the total amount of data in the image (if you add layers for example). The number on the left is the relevant one here as the number on the right will always be the same or larger.

Hello, 

Thanks, 

M.

pssizer.jpg

The stuff about raw file sizes is a diversion and irrelevant to the problem here. What you say there in your illustrated image about the numbers in the PS status bar is also incorrect however. The number on the left is the pixel dimensions on the document, the number on the right is the total amount of data in the image (if you add layers for example). The number on the left is the relevant one here as the number on the right will always be the same or larger.

You are so right. That's what happens when you never do tiffs and all changes are in ACR.  My right size never changes from the original file size as I don't add any layers. I use PS for removing  telephone wires etc, so no new layers. Doesn't alter the image size in MB.

Jill

I also have a 5100 and the files are more than big enough for Alamy - I usually reduce mine.

Are you shooting in RAW + JPEG mode? If so, what setting do you have the JPEG quality at? Small, Basic? That setting won't alter the size of the RAW file but you might get very small JPEGs produced alongside and maybe that's the file size you are looking at?

Original OP says there is no variation in size for RAWS on his camera. Mine also only does one size RAW.  Always 51.3. Never changes. I never do tiffs as I do almost all processing in ACR.

Nothing to do with RAW at all. Your image size will always be 51.3 regardless of whether it's saved as RAW, TIFF, JPEG or using Uncle Bob's proprietary file format. The RAW file itself will vary in size, just as others have said.

Alan

Nothing to do with RAW at all. Your image size will always be 51.3 regardless of whether it's saved as RAW, TIFF, JPEG or using Uncle Bob's proprietary file format. The RAW file itself will vary in size, just as others have said.

Alan

I"m confused. JPEG is never 51.3MB.  When does a RAW file size vary within one camera?  As mentioned before, mine only has one image size of 5184 x 3456 and quality size of 51.3MB. Can't lower the quality of a RAW like you can a JPEG. Do other cameras have quality sizes for RAWs?

Jill

Alan

I"m confused. JPEG is never 51.3MB.  When does a RAW file size vary within one camera?  As mentioned before, mine only has one image size of 5184 x 3456 and quality size of 51.3MB. Can't lower the quality of a RAW like you can a JPEG. Do other cameras have quality sizes for RAWs?

Jill

The native pixel size does not change - that's fixed but the size on file in MB varies with the content of the RAW - more contrast/colours etc makes the raw bigger expressed in MB...typically not a large variation but easily several MB on similar subjects. The native size TIFF is always the same, as mentioned above.

In addittion to what Geoff says, which is referring to the file size on disk, some cameras have options for different image size formats (e.g 36X24, 30X20 etc) and even for different raw images in the same format (e.g the Nikon D810). These would all give images with different pixel dimensions (the little box on the lower left in Photoshop). Alan is clearly referring to pixel dimensions also (pixel dimensions or document dimensions are the terms used by Adobe)

Archived