Shooting stock - Where would you go in January?

Afternoon all

Finally have a chance to post again here.

So, if like me you were based in France and were looking to go somewhere for a few days in janaury to shoot some stock, where would you go?

In my mind, I was looking at the Lake District. I've been there a few times now but never in Winter. In my head, it would be great to get some of those fells covered in snow.

Ideally, would love to see somewhere like Iceland but I have no idea how to get around the place and certainly haven't a clue as to dealing with those type of winter conditions.

Any ideas?

If you want winter/snow scenes you do not need to stick to the month of January in the UK. Februaury, March, April and yes, even May will se snow somewhere in our fair isle now. :)

And you don't have to limit yourself to one northerly area, it even appears in the south of the country. :D

Allan

Thanks Allan. I made a quick trip to the Lakes in May this year and there were hints of snow on some of the fells. Couldn't believe it! Mind you, with the weather as rubbish as it's been then was it really such a surprise?

There a few Alamy shooters consider the Lake District their patch, mind your step! Seriously though, its is really well covered and demand isn't overwhelming as far as I can see. Lovely any time of year though. I've got two shots which sell now and again, the rest just pad out the portfolio.

Robert

Iceland in winter is not any colder than NYC on any given day, but daylight is in short supple (about 4 hours). If you don't get a lot of rain, and it's likely you will, the low-angled dusk light can be fabulous. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=211&month=1&year=2007&obj=sun&afl=-13&day=1

If you want to visit lakes and freeze to death, try Minnesota. 

You live in France, the most visited country by international tourists (IIRC) and you want to go shoot in Scotland in the snow for stock......... am I the only one who doesn't get this....

Drive out of Tours, get on the E11 and when it stops, turn left......

Yes, I live in France but I am not going to limit myself to the country. I like to get around if I can. 

I'm aware of how well photographed the Lakes are. I had a similar comment when I mentioned I was off to Provence. Didn't stop someone paying a couple of hundred dollars for an image I did during that trip.

In my head, I was thinking somewhere in Italy for a change.

Keep the ideas coming though!!!

How about the French Alps. Thats where I go in early winter. Snow plus blue and sometimes dramatic skies guaranteed (I’ve been going for 8 years now). The Lakes and Scotland (while beautiful) can be dreich at that time, Scotland is not alpine at that time, it’s more akin to Arctic (I used to bag Munros in Scotland, so have some idea of what the weather can throw at you) and while blue skies are possible, they are few and far between. It’s a long way to go in winter to see nothing. The best shots are taken by shooters living in the area, they can get out when the weather suits. Just my opinion, of course.

Thanks Malcolm. The Alps or the Pyrenees are a consideration.

And why not be shooting in January? Does stock work only have to take place during spring, summer and autumn? Earlier this year in January (or late last year around December - can't remember which), I took a photo in a railway station in Paris. That photo was my biggest seller! Just a shame that the big G took the majority of the commission.

What about North Africa? Morocco and Tunisia are easy to get to and cheap as chips. Heck even the Gambia is only a 5 hour flight from Paris and the neighbouringing Senegalese are Francophones.

Me? In January, I shall be in hacking my way through the jungles of Uganda  :D

You can tell because of all the roadblocks.

They are made of a soft, white, slippery material.

Alternatively, there may be a ford. Your should not attempt to cross it unless you are driving a Bedford 4-tonner.

Unfortunately, as a Bedford 4-tonner is wider than a bicycle, most roads will be inaccessible to you anyway.

If they are they will be full of those sheep which are clever enough to have avoided being snowed on.

(That should keep a few away).

In my mind, I was looking at the Lake District. I've been there a few times now but never in Winter.

The Lake District is closed in January, for, er, refurbishments. Sorry...

That's why they're moving it to Scotland for the whole of January ;)

Guest Azure-images

You live in France, the most visited country by international tourists (IIRC) and you want to go shoot in Scotland in the snow for stock......... am I the only one who doesn't get this....

Drive out of Tours, get on the E11 and when it stops, turn left......

Yes, I live in France but I am not going to limit myself to the country. I like to get around if I can. 

I'm aware of how well photographed the Lakes are. I had a similar comment when I mentioned I was off to Provence. Didn't stop someone paying a couple of hundred dollars for an image I did during that trip.

In my head, I was thinking somewhere in Italy for a change.

Keep the ideas coming though!!!

To echo incamerastock, it's not how well photographed a place is, it's 'can I make any  profit from a shoot there'. I shot some stock in Rome a few years ago, had fairly good sales including a very nice cover - yet only just seeing a profit in that trip. It was a holiday in business terms. The same sales, twenty miles down the road.......I'd be laughing.

Guest Azure-images

In my mind, I was looking at the Lake District. I've been there a few times now but never in Winter.

About time too....... thy whippet's long being waiting for that new kennel.... :)

John, I wondered how long it would take for you to pop up with something like that  :lol:  When I was there in May I thought about trying to send you a message to see if you wanted to meet up but didn't have much access to the technology to do this.

And is it for stock or holiday? Um, what's a holiday! They don't exist anymore;)

Presently thinking about somewhere in Italy. I'd probably avoid the countryside and head for a city or two. Of course, I am still open to suggestions:)

Living in France, you have easy access to several great places.

Austia or Grenoble would be excellent for snow images. Austria you could also focus on villages.

The Dolimites look gorgeous in winter.

If you prefer, consider Romania or Tunisia fr slightly further locations.

I also have to think that Normandy in winter would make for some nice images.

Eman

Hi Jools,

I would say that if Iceland is a consideration then go for it. Do a bit of homework and plan your trips, book organised trips to the glaciers, stay in the ice hotel.

At least they are prepared for the snow unlike the UK where everything stops while it melts away.

The others may have been joking about the Lakes being closed but if we get a lot of snow this may be the case.

Just got back from Cumbria this weekend and it is spectacular but some of the best places are a bit remote.

Just my two pence worth.

Regards

Paul

John, I wondered how long it would take for you to pop up with something like that  :lol:  When I was there in May I thought about trying to send you a message to see if you wanted to meet up but didn't have much access to the technology to do this.

We tend to use semaphore up here. Always happy to meet up for a beer. My favourite beer? One that somebody has bought me... :)

Archived