Have you ever won an award for your photography?

...either for a single image or a collection?

If so we'd love to hear from you as we're preparing some promo emails that will go out to our customers that promote award winning photographers and images.

The only rule is that these images need to be available on Alamy.

Deadline for letting us know: 30th October 2015

Cheers!

Alamy

This image was part of a winning portfolio for the Silver Award "Single Subject Portfolio" from the annual contest called the Muster Photo Showcase, conducted by the Society of American Travel Writers, in 2009. The image was part of a story on the Cajun Country area of Louisiana, USA.

usa-louisiana-la-cajun-country-breaux-br

This didn't win an award as such but was exhibited in the RPS International Print Exhibition back in the '90s. It was quite eye catching back then as Photoshop was unknown. Its taken through a microscope (we had gorgeous microscopes where I used to work) and the grain is the film grain. Nowadays its nothing special as you can do this in PS in 60 seconds. 

a-close-up-of-a-tornado-jet-fighter-in-r

This is the original slide, miserably underexposed and somehow it escaped being thrown out on my first edit. 

a-tornado-performs-a-hard-turn-at-full-p

World View winner for Outdoor Photographer of the Year 2010 for an image of the Julian Alps from the summit of Triglav in Slovenia. Link.

I only ever entered two competitions but stopped after quickly realising they were more concerned about making money from entrants than recognising talent etc.... It was nice though  :D

World View winner for Outdoor Photographer of the Year 2010 for an image of the Julian Alps from the summit of Triglav in Slovenia. Link.

I only ever entered two competitions but stopped after quickly realising they were more concerned about making money from entrants than recognising talent etc.... It was nice though  :D

I agree.  I regularly get invites to enter competitions.  Nearly all of will set me back around £50, or sometimes quite a bit more, if I supply the maximum number of images.  I never do.  Last year I got an invite to put up work at an art fair in London.  I looked at the cost, and politly declined.  Competitions, fairs, shows have become a racket.  Artists are led to believe that if they haven't got a sprinkling of prizes on their CVs they are failing.

Around the turn of the new millennium,  I won a prestigious, international award in wildlife photography with Nature's Best Magazine. I was flown to Washington, D.C., got to meet the gracious staff there, and was treated to an exquisite hotel and  a variety of events. My winning picture was displayed in the Smithsonian Institute National Museum of Natural History  where an award ceremony was held for me and others who won in other categories. The whole thing was simply wonderful- something I will never forget.

It was my "fifteen minutes of fame" as the saying goes. My philosophy is that when those things happen, enjoy the moment, but don't take yourself too seriously. There are myriads of excellent photographers all over who are taking truly great photographs, even outstanding pictures from time to time, many of which should be winning contests. And the quality continues to get better and better. 

Now, where is that picture? I think I need to upload it! In a subsequent year, I did receive an  honorable mention as well for this same contest (it;s yearly), and one of those photographs is on Alamy: Image ID : AXB1C2  "Masked Bison"  And this made a really nice sale on Alamy a few years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

All I ever won was a tennis medal and a rock climbing competition beker.

I never entered photography competitions. They don't open doors. Dream on! :rolleyes:

My reward is what I see on my bank account. Awards and compliments don't pay my bills  ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

On a local level they help to get your name recognised, I've had press coverage and tons of social media due to being involved with local exhibitions and there ain't no such thing as bad publicity as someone once said!

They also show that you're a serious professional photographer which helps to lift you above the 1000's of wannabe togs undercutting us professionals.  

All directly helps my bank balance ;)  :D

Phil

All I ever won was a tennis medal and a rock climbing competition beker.

I never entered photography competitions. They don't open doors. Dream on! :rolleyes:

My reward is what I see on my bank account. Awards and compliments don't pay my bills  ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

On a local level they help to get your name recognised, I've had press coverage and tons of social media due to being involved with local exhibitions and there ain't no such thing as bad publicity as someone once said!

They also show that you're a serious professional photographer which helps to lift you above the 1000's of wannabe togs undercutting us professionals.  

All directly helps my bank balance ;)  :D

Phil

Might work for some, but fact is that many believe that you win a competition and invitations of prestigious agencies and assignments of famous magazines will be served on a silver platter. Most competitions are simply about getting great pictures ......... for free (read the competition rules in small print ;) ). 

Cheers,

Philippe

Differs with Awards offered by professional organisations who respect the photographer. And, it's only those I enter.  ;)

Phil

I've won quite a few over the years, all helps to get my name out there, and having the studio plastered with bits of paper with my name on, helps to loosen the purse string of my my customers.

I've always stuck to the ones run by professional photography associations, winning pro awards means more than just a photo competition (which are usually just a rights grab)

http://www.picturesbyrob.co.uk/awards.php

Photographer of the Year in 2013 at Focus Photo Club. This is a group of about 125 members in my area. Competition is based on the total of 11 monthly contests with 3 entries per event (33 total entries in the year).

Oh, well, I'll have to raise my bar to try for something international. Oh wait, I did get a 5th place in a 2014 competition between 3 photo clubs from Ohio (USA), Australia, and the UK. My Bald Eagle among the top 10. http://www.focusphotoclub.com/images/winners/Intl%20Comp/2014/1.png

Archived