Anyone know what this building might be for?

Took this coming home from a dog show last weekend. Trying to think what it would be used for. There are no visible stairs that I can see. Thought maybe it would be used for hay storage for livestock to feed in the winter, but doesn't seem large enough to hold a lot of hay. Could have drop down stairs I suppose, but anyone seen anything like this? 

building-on-stilts-in-a-farm-field-EXA6D

Jill

Hmm, I’ve come across similar stuctures on mountains where heavy and deep snow is expected in winter, refuges and the like - however this area aint mountainous. How about a structure designed for high water events - the ground looks marshy with all these grasses and reeds.

Hmm, I’ve come across similar stuctures on mountains where heavy and deep snow is expected in winter, refuges and the like - however this area aint mountainous. How about a structure designed for high water events - the ground looks marshy with all these grasses and reeds.

Just tall grass as there was no livestock that I could see eating down the grasses. We don't get that kind of flooding around here. Could be for snowmobilers in winter, but again, the lack of stairs confuses me. I thought maybe a combo livestock shelter and hay storage, but no livestock out, and judging by the height of the grass, hasn't had any for awhile. 

Jill

It looks like it has a little window.  Some sort of hide maybe?

Not a window, its a vent. I thought of a hide, but for what purpose? Not a lot of trees for birdwatching, although there are some. Could be a window on the opposite side. Maybe if I"m ever down that way again, I'll check it out. 

ill

Would it be a hunting stand?  But it seems the window is too small for that, and there would need be a trap door...I'm having trouble determining the scale of the structure, maybe the window is large enough to shoot through.

Did you notice a feeding station anywhere nearby?  Sometimes hunters fix up a bait station well ahead of hunting season to make deer feel comfortable visiting.  A feeding station could be well away, 50-100 yards, from this structure.

It's designed to take quite a load: why else would it have 6 stilts in stead of just four.

It may be on stilts because of snow.

Because of high water.

To keep out vermin.

Because you can park things under it.

It's green so it doesn't stand out.

Hunting stands look different the world over. But all offer perfect viewing because basically they are are observatories.

wim

It looks a bit like a modern version of a structure for drying wood and/or hay. You get old wooden versions in Eastern Europe and I have seen structures a bit like this in Finland where agriculture is still often small scale between clearings in the trees?

Would it be a hunting stand?  But it seems the window is too small for that, and there would need be a trap door...I'm having trouble determining the scale of the structure, maybe the window is large enough to shoot through.

Did you notice a feeding station anywhere nearby?  Sometimes hunters fix up a bait station well ahead of hunting season to make deer feel comfortable visiting.  A feeding station could be well away, 50-100 yards, from this structure.

The window is a vent, not a window. And right along the side of a busy road, not where I would think would be a good place for a hunting blind. Not a lot of trees, there is a big field right behind the treeline you see behind the building. Possibly they feed deer in the winter and are photogs  :) .  Maybe a photo stand.

Think I'd just call it a metal storage shed on stilts and call it a day. B)

Oh, I will. It's more my curiosity than anything else. Wouldn't want to call it something in keywords unless I knew that is what it is.

Jill

It's hard to determine the size of the thing with nothing close by to scale it by, but I'm guessing the stilts are 6 - 8ft high, which means the height of the actual building to the apex is only about the same (6-8ft), so most of the building is not tall enough for people to use comfortably. That seems to suggest it is for accommodating animals or things that might be prey to wild creatures locally. Any bears or wolves round there?

The ridge line of the roof looks a little odd at the far end.  Maybe it is an observatory.

I am thinking possible as mentioned for photography.  Did consider astronomy observatory, but it would have to have tracks for the roof to slide away.

Jill

It's hard to determine the size of the thing with nothing close by to scale it by, but I'm guessing the stilts are 6 - 8ft high, which means the height of the actual building to the apex is only about the same (6-8ft), so most of the building is not tall enough for people to use comfortably. That seems to suggest it is for accommodating animals or things that might be prey to wild creatures locally. Any bears or wolves round there?

A bit too far south for wolves, but lots of coyotes and yeah, bears would be about. 

Jill

Raccoons more likely: the stilts are only covered like 3 feet.

The posts look like regular 6x6-s to me -because they usually are ;-)

wim

edit: + rats and mice.

edit 2: posts are more likely 8x8-s -oops. (I hadn't noticed braces before. Here we would use 2x3 for the braces, but in North America it's definitively 2x4-s.)

I imagine that it would get too hot and stuffy in there, even for the most stoic wildlife photographers. Not enough vents for drying, so I'd stick with storage, of what is another question, probably only the owner knows for sure.

The posts are about 10-12' up, that's why I thought it possible for livestock shelter. The steel covered posts are also necessary as here you are not allowed to put pressure treated lumber directly into the ground, must be inside covers in the ground and just above the ground, but I do think the are also there to keep away the racoons, we have millions of them.

Jill

Archived