June challenge "Night"

Hi All

Totally stoked to have won the 'Excess' challenge, with a family of four on a motor bike. If you have been to India you will know that four on a bike is for mere beginners. The most I have seen is six, five adults with mum sitting side-saddle carrying the baby. 

This month's challenge is 'night'. I love night photography, especially in town with all the lights and a bit of glow in the sky, and of course the fact that after shooting its a very short walk for a well earnt beer.

For the sake of definition 'night' is when the sun is below the horizon. It could be cities, landscapes, indoors, just as long as it represents the night.The usual rules apply, a maximum of three shots per person and the contest ends on the 30th June.

My three to get going 

AATMJ0.jpg

The beautiful Aiguille Verte and star trails. Taken from a bivouac in the Alps ,lying in my sleeping bag watching the stars wheel round, a profound and gorgeous experience. 

B8J9MR.jpg

Westminster Bridge, London. A lovely place and if you are a Brit there is always something touching about seeing Big Ben.

BTCFA1.jpg

La Paz, Bolivia. 

I hope you like the theme, its a temporal rather than an emotional one this month. I can't remember who started the challenge idea back on the old forum (was it Philippe aka Arterra?) but its great. Its always interesting to see how everyone interprets the theme. 

Can someone please advise on the rules?

Do we have to use an image already accepted by Alamy, or can we upload other images we have taken that we think are good images but for IQ uncertainty reasons, we have not uploaded to Alamy? Understandably, many of us are a bit paranoid about IQ as you can gather by the stream of posts on this over the years.

Alamy may wish to comment if this rule has not been considered by them?

Ken

Great Challenge Col!  I think we will see most entries than my May challenge!  Bizair, I think it is okay to submit photos that are not on Alamy but I would size the image to be about the same size as the ones posted here.

Here are my three.

Baltimore Couple

A896GJ.jpg

Roasting Marshmallows 

A2JH1P.jpg

Luxor Temple, Egypt

C3NHKH.jpg

I think it is okay to submit photos that are not on Alamy but I would size the image to be about the same size as the ones posted here.

Agreed Michael. Pics have been submitted to this "comp" from all sorts of places, not just Alamy contributions. Nothing to do with being paranoid about QC either B) it's just how it's evolved.

dd

I cannot see how to link an image which is not on Alamy.  When I use the Image icon, I get the message "You are not allowed to use that image extension..."  Has Alamy removed the ability to do this.  Also their How to upload image instructions have disappeared or am I missing something!

Cheers

Sheila

I cannot see how to link an image which is not on Alamy.  When I use the Image icon, I get the message "You are not allowed to use that image extension..."  Has Alamy removed the ability to do this.  Also their How to upload image instructions have disappeared or am I missing something!

Cheers

Sheila

Sheila

All still works.

You need to "grab the BBC code" from your source. Then paste into "Link"

Hope this helps

I don't have many taken at night :(

Not sure I could compete with some of the impressive images already posted anyway.

My avatar pic is the only one I can enter currently. Maybe I need to get out in the dark more.

BPW2JY.jpg

Decided to post something from the night sky.

BMX33D.jpg

The Elephant Trunk Nebula in Cepheus, 8 hour exposure photographed in narrowband from London, UK

...and Orions Belt with the Horsehead Nebula, imaged in Hydrogen Alpha (monochrome)

BY5FW1.jpg

also, the Veil Nebula in Cygnus

BY8MA2.jpg

Not necessarily a barrier to entering: just because the theme is "night" doesn't necessarily mean an entry must have been taken "at" night. Okay, almost every pic so far is a building of some sort at night, but that is surely only one interpretation of "night" as a theme . . . dunno know about you, but my thinking cap is getting a bit of a workout.

dd

Not necessarily a barrier to entering: just because the theme is "night" doesn't necessarily mean an entry must have been taken "at" night. Okay, almost every pic so far is a building of some sort at night, but that is surely only one interpretation of "night" as a theme . . . dunno know about you, but my thinking cap is getting a bit of a workout.

dd

I'm going to have to ponder on that for a while I think. This statement seems to imply that they do have to taken at night: "For the sake of definition 'night' is when the sun is below the horizon."

Archived