The only image of a particular subject on Alamy...

From my Measures...

Your Views Sessions Your Zooms    Your Sales   Your CTR(%) Total Views Total Zooms Total CTR(%)

1                2                1                   0                  100.00             1                1                  100.00

Now the image in question is of a building and is named and key worded with its official name. It was taken on travels in 2012... Im not sure if it is on the tourist trail (probably not) but it is quite well known and has a wiki and other pages about its history....

Just really surprised mine in the only image? The subjects are out there you know....... 

Good to know!

I've got a few and one or two are repeat sellers, but they are becoming much more difficult to find and erosion of my store of exclusives is occurring all the while; probably more rapidly than I am finding new subjects. It must have been great to have been here at the start!

It's even more satisfying when they sell :) .  I've got a number of cases where I've got the only image(s) of a subject on Alamy (not surprising given my concentration on botanicals) so I know I'm the only choice.  One popped in earler this month.  Very satisfying.  Let's hope yours goes the same way.

It does raise another interesting point.  How many shots of what, for Alamy, is a unique subject is it worth uploading?  Buyers need some choice - but how many is too many?

It's even more satisfying when they sell :) .  I've got a number of cases where I've got the only image(s) of a subject on Alamy (not surprising given my concentration on botanicals) so I know I'm the only choice.  One popped in earler this month.  Very satisfying.  Let's hope yours goes the same way.

It does raise another interesting point.  How many shots of what, for Alamy, is a unique subject is it worth uploading?  Buyers need some choice - but how many is too many?

As many as it takes!

My philosophy as to how many shots of any subject is to more or less use Alamy's guidelines about similars. If they are different shots then I upload as many as I've got that I think are relevant with maybe 3 or 4 similars at max.

John.

As many as it takes!

My philosophy as to how many shots of any subject is to more or less use Alamy's guidelines about similars. If they are different shots then I upload as many as I've got that I think are relevant with maybe 3 or 4 similars at max.

John.

I think that's very good advice . . . you don't want to bore searchers with heaps of near-identical similars, but different, well-composed views of the same thing are a GOOD THING tm .

dd

I think that's very good advice . . . you don't want to bore searchers with heaps of near-identical similars, but different, well-composed views of the same thing are a GOOD THING tm .

dd

Generally that is probably good advice, but I have noticed that certain markets prefer only landscape shots, while a front cover might be always be portrait. I have recently pruned some of my offerings where I have too many available, as the Alamy search engine appears to select from my collection at random, rather than always promoting the shots that have sold in the past. This even applies within the so called Creative list, the selling image languishes down below while my also ran appears top of the list.   :rolleyes:

The subjects are out there you know....... 

That's true . . . but they are few and far between. There are over 1.5 million images of NYC on Alamy now, and over 2 million images of London. What has been missed? 

I found an important subject last year that no one had yet successfully captured, and I happened across it in a unique spot where I could make a controlled capture in good light. Serendipity. Within a month or so there were two sales, each for $175. 

I have a "one of a kind" image (sorry, folks, not divulging the subject) that leased this month for $175, and it has sold regularly in the past, always for a good price. So I guess there is still something to be said for scarcity. However, scarcity is getting scarcer all the time.

The only image of a particular subject on Alamy...

Sounds like an opportunity to charge a premium,

to me!

I'd be OK with that. What surprises me about the image I mentioned above is that it has remained the only one on Alamy for at least five years, and it's obviously a subject that there is some demand for.

An interesting topic. I have a few places in my collection which are the only representatives on Alamy. This week I'm on holiday in your very own county of West Sussex and I've already found some virgin territory, though whether anyone will ever want pics of these places is debatable. But even when Alamy has lots and lots of images, there is still room for more. I'm always amazed when visiting coastal towns or villages, for example, to find that Alamy has dozens, even hundreds of pics of a sand dune or a breakwater that could be absolutely anywhere, but hardly any which are uniquely representative of the place in question. Yesterday I visited a village for which Alamy has about a dozen images of a breakwater, and two of the church with the horizontal so uncorrected that it looks as though the church is sliding down a hill.

There is still plenty of room for good, relevant, images.

Alan

Archived