Autumn colours already - UK?

Afternoon all

A stupid question or a very real thing?

I'm in the UK next week and I'm wondering if the trees are changing already. here in France (Loire Valley) there is a definite change of colour in the trees. Not fully fledged but the beginnings are there.

So I'm curious about the UK. Anyone?

Depending on where in the UK you are I guess the first two dates might work for autumn colour. I tend to associate Bonfire Night (5th November) with essentially leafless trees and misty, cold autumnal days - "season of mists and mellow fruitfulness". The colour has normally gone by my birthday at the beginning of November and the days are getting seriously short and we are  into our winter coats.

I hope Martin that your prediction doesn't come true! Last year and the year before I was lucky to be in the UK in November and still found autumn colours around.

Hopefully there will no gusts of wind that will be strong enough to get the leaves off the trees.

I hope Martin that your prediction doesn't come true! Last year and the year before I was lucky to be in the UK in November and still found autumn colours around.

Hopefully there will no gusts of wind that will be strong enough to get the leaves off the trees.

May just be my aging memory ;)

I took this on 27 October last year because of the wind stripping the trees.

DGXF5B.jpg

First two pictures Abergavenny-way, all the rest home counties.

26th October 2013
DHFXH1.jpg

26th October 2013
E15JM7.jpg

3rd November 2010
CTBXF1.jpg

17th November 2012
D2W92W.jpg

10th November 2013
E5W85N.jpg

6th October 2012
DA9KR6.jpg

17th November 2012
DA8JC2.jpg

Seems to me that - last year aside, when things seemed a little late in appearing - peak time in the SE of the UK is last two weeks of October, first few days of November.

As others have said, it depends where you are and what the Gods decide this year. However I'd say that the mid-point is most likely to be your best option overall, while in Scotland and the far north of England, late September would likely be preferable.  After Bonfire night, everything's likely to be on the floor!

The young silver birches in our street (near Edinburgh) are blazing orange this week. Beech hedges have gone yellow and when I went down the coast yesterday there were already some trees that were dropping their leaves.

I did read somewhere that the more rain we get in the summer, the better the colourful display in autumn.  We've had a bit of a mixed bag weather-wise this summer here, but I also noticed that my favourite place for picking brambles (because there are usually millions) is very disappointing, with the fruit not ripe or the bushes having just died back. 

Sometimes autumn colour has been and gone here really quickly because of the wind - a.k.a. 'gales' if you are not used to it.

Good luck with it anyway!

People were picvking what seemed to be a good crop of brambles 2-3 weeks ago down here. Shame about the Scottish crop.

I know - I finally perfected my bramble jelly last year and was looking forward to another few jars this year....   Goes really well with poultry as a nice substitute for plum sauce.......  

I will have a rake around and see if I can find a new supply!

Supermarket? Not the same I know but needs must and all that...

I'll find some - I know some other good spots to look. They don't all have to be ripe as you need some unripe ones for the pectin. Involves a bit of a scramble over an old shale bing, but worth it if I get a good bagful.  They'd be a little pricey to buy them in the supermarket for making jelly, but your suggestion has reminded me of a market where I might get a boxful quite cheaply.....  

Hmm.  Thanks.  Have an unripe sticker on me!

Thanks Danny.

I was always under the impression that Scotland was later than England in regards to colours in the trees.

T'other way round The further north, the later the spring and the earlier the autumn. The East Midlands are only 100 miles north of us as the crow flies and it can be as much as a fortnight different near the coast.

Not too many trees in Lincolnshire to turn autumnal though. My mum lives in Boston and she has just about the only one in the street.

I actually can't believe this. I took this image on the 24 Sept 2013, and I distinctly remember the feeling of dread because Autumn just landed on us with no warning. 

DEW5TW.jpg

That's under two weeks away from now. Last year I was all down in the dumps about it, however, this year, I'm thinking, glass misty lochs, no haze in the air, golden landscapes and nice low sun light. I can't wait. 

Archived