Autumn colours already - UK?

I had to go to wiki to find out what brambles are.  OK, blackberries and the like.  Never heard that term here in the US in connection with those berries.  Maybe in a suspense novel, "It was a dark and stormy night. :D She ran for her life through thick brambles...."  If I were the lass, I'd have to stop and pick some for a cobbler, even if it meant I was murdered. :)

Growing up in Nottingham I had never really called blackberries brambles until I met my Yorkshire wife. If you think brambles are a problem don't get us started on local names for small bread loaves, buns, cakes, baps, cobs, rolls, ... I was once on a bus going on a university field trip and in perhaps 15 minutes we came up with well over 100 different names, just from around the UK, for a small individual bread "roll" (always a cob to me, a roll was a different shape). Then we started on names for a narrow alley, for example between building etc...

The richness of the English language and its dialects.

Blackberries around here in the north midlands are plentiful, I'd go as far to say they are the best crop ever.

John.

Talk about rubbing it in......

Does that mean that the Sottish brambles have voted with their feet and moved south?

I had to go to wiki to find out what brambles are.  OK, blackberries and the like.  Never heard that term here in the US in connection with those berries.  Maybe in a suspense novel, "It was a dark and stormy night. :D She ran for her life through thick brambles...."  If I were the lass, I'd have to stop and pick some for a cobbler, even if it meant I was murdered. :)

Yes, you wouldn't want to have to plunge into a bramble patch....   but they do make exceedingly good pies! (and jams and jellies and lovely hot coulis to have with ice cream....)

Driving up the A82 in Scotland you can already see it happening. Last to get spring and the first to get Autumn. I'm sure there's a scientific reason for it. 

Paul

How often do you go up the A82? I'm think of doing an insane trip my second time in the UK and need some local knowledge on those colours.

Archived