I was recently pestering a person in a local park operating a helicopter drone containing a lightweight Go Pro.

For quality stills you need a powerful drone, connected to a small mirror less camera. The camera should have wifi, that can transmit the camera image back to a monitor next to the operator. The camera should also be remotely controlled through a smart phone.

A DSLR with a mirror, would only extra add weight. It looked like a 2 person operation. One to fly the drone. One to control the camera.

You need considerable experience to handle the drone. The pestered person had years of experience handling model helicopters. Even he was having problems. It gave me the wilies because he had all that expensive equipment flying over water. He said they were useless around civilization because of wireless interference. Claimed interference from a cell phone tower would throw everything off.

I had this blade runner vision of dusk flying a drone between skyscrapers of a major city. Pestered person just laughed.

There is potential in the idea however.

You can get excellent results, have a look at the Versadrone site.

The Octacopters though are very large beasts and not cheap. They are a lot easier to fly than normal RC helicopters. You train on normal model helis and then move on to a Drone, training is just down the road from me - HexCam site has info on what's required.

The idea of a well trained operator with quality kit operating in rural or remote locations sounds interesting, but how do you quantify well trained? Officialdom is already lining up to put a stop to this. A very long pole with light camera would offer a lot for relatively little. 

Would you go for a ride in a home built helicopter with a self-taught pilot? 

Will we really be getting our pizzas delivered by drone? It's a lovely story, but I doubt it

But good aerial photos do sell, so I can see the temptation. 

Would a drone with a camera be an easier target than a clay pigeon....................??

Yes, that could be the killer!

Some useful information from everyone here. It seemed like an interesting idea...

Alan

Have a read of this CAA document...

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2014081.pdf

Still think its a good idea? Particularly note section 7 - the CAA really is serious about prosecutions, it does not mess about. Also bear in mind that even though the CAA do not require public liability insurance (under 7kg) you would be foolish to fly without it. For example; frighten expensive horses in a field so that they injure themselves, or throw a rider, and you could easily be facing bankruptcy or worse.

Also for flying radio control model aircraft at clubs and competitions appropriation certificaton from the British Model Flying Association is required. That is even required on a club's private flying site unless being closely supervised by an authorised instructor. If you don't even have that level of certification it would be difficult to argue that you met the CAA's basic "reasonable view that it was safe to fly" requirement; certainly there would be no evidence you were a competent pilot.

So it is not simply a buy and go. A lot of time and money will be needed to do it properly especially if you want to make any money from it.

I thought about it a year or two ago (I was model flyer in my youth and have had flight instruction on full size aircraft) but after researching what was involved decided it was just too much hassle for the returns - it will go the way of all other photography. A few will do well, most will get their fingers burnt.

Have a read of this CAA document...

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2014081.pdf

From page 2...  A person must not cause or permit any article or animal (whether or not attached to a parachute) to be dropped from a SUA so

as to endanger persons or property...

That explains all the hamsters I see wearing parachutes...

As Martin said, a lot of time and a lot of money to get the certification needed to fly these commercially. You won't get much change from a grand just to train, get certified and even getting your owners manual checked can cost money. A decent heavy duty drone like the Versadrones costs over £10k.

Would a drone with a camera be an easier target than a clay pigeon....................??

Yes, that could be the killer!

Some useful information from everyone here. It seemed like an interesting idea...

Alan

Mate, it still is an interesting idea.

I learned many years ago to never let the reluctance of others to take a risk prevent me from doing so.

If you're interested, look into it, and seek out folk (like some here, thankfully) who can help you with reasons and encouragement to have a go.

Good luck.

dd

Don t get me wrong, I'ld love to have a go but for 15K + (£) I could log up a lot of hours in a Cessna and walk away if not getting the rewards. You would take a long time to make that back from stock so you would need to be pretty confident you could drum up commissions and charge good money to claw back the investment.

Yes, if you modify the object, e.g. Plane or helicopter, you must correct the Center of gravity with the camera mounted to it is very possible. Or just get a simulator take a similar model re-program it to the variable weight, CoG and conditions and see how it goes.

I have a friend who uses a drone for his film company and it does some really nice shots.

If you're going to use R/C stuff, pending where and what type (petrol or electric) you will only need BMFA insurance if you fly in public and or do events, if you hit someone they pay upto I think it was at the time when i was member it was like upto £15,000 for injury.

I would suggest, just going down to a local model flying club first and ask.

Unfortunately, flying remote control wasn't my thing, went back to real ones.

Started flying when I was under 10, plan to get my PFL I complete uni.

Personally I think images taken from a model carrying a camera, of any kind, have a very limited use/appeal. Certainly not enough to recoup outlay.

In the UK all model flying clubs insist on BMFA membership for the insurance cover wether flying at the club site only or being involved in displays etc. There is always the chance of a flyaway and possible damage to property and/or injury or death to people. Yes people have been killed by out of control model flying machines.

To fly in public a minimum 'B' certificate rating is required and with some models a 'C' certificate is necessary these days. Only available if you are a member of the BMFA and have passed a test taken with one of their accredited examiners. Most clubs require their members take the minimum 'A' cert just to fly at the club ground.

If you are a loner then you would be silly not to take advantage of the BMFA membership also for the insurance cover which gives £25,000,000 legal liability cover and £35,000 personal accident cover. For £32/year it is worth it.

Allan

Personally I think images taken from a model carrying a camera, of any kind, have a very limited use/appeal. Certainly not enough to recoup outlay.

http://skyvantage.co.uk/aerial-fliming-clients/

Remember that not only are you talking about work in the image field but also they are used for power line inspection, high construction inspection, environmental mapping plus a host of other applications.

Remember that not only are you talking about work in the image field but also they are used for power line inspection, high construction inspection, environmental mapping plus a host of other applications.

I agree, very useful for various applications, in the right hands. But I understood the OP was about stock photography and that is what I was replying to.

Allan

The links you provided to the Hexcam site prove that . . . although close inspection of some of their gallery images shows they could do with the services of someone who knows how to use Photoshop properly :-)

Some of the images these setups are capable of are unique: a long pole or low-flying aircraft can't replicate much of it, so there is potential for all sorts of revenue streams for anyone interested, with the time and willingness to have a go . . .

dd

. . . whereas others would see "limited use/appeal" as a synonym for "niche", something that many photographers here and elsewhere have capitalised upon very nicely thank you very much :-)

dd

The links you provided to the Hexcam site prove that . . . although close inspection of some of their gallery images shows they could do with the services of someone who knows how to use Photoshop properly :-)

Some of the images these setups are capable of are unique: a long pole or low-flying aircraft can't replicate much of it, so there is potential for all sorts of revenue streams for anyone interested, with the time and willingness to have a go . . .

dd

I gave the link to HexCam as I have met Elliot (he's fairly local to me) when I was thinking about the costs etc last year. As he does certified training, the site is more useful for those who want to know what's involved in setting up for that business. I didn't offer him my services for photoshop - starting to outsource my own stuff.

The other link does show what sorts of businesses use the services - I suspect a lot of drone work is collecting of raw material for film etc plus the more basic inspection type work - little PS required.

The reason I was interested was a previous f/t stock colleague now does all types of aerial work - plane/heli/drones. 

Archived