I usually carry around a notepad and jot down subjects and ideas for when I feel stuck or need a bit of inspiration.

Another thing I purchased a while ago was a book entitled 'Photo Idea Index' by Jim Krause. There's a whole load of ideas inside from things quite basic to more advanced. I find it does get you thinking. If anyone is interested and its still available the ISBN number is ISBN 1-58180-766-X.

I still find a good walk works, though!

Jim.   :)

I have found that when I have been out, with the camera, for my morning walk on some days I come back without having taken a single photo. You need to remember my morning walk is in my village and local park so I see the same scenery, people, animals, etc every day.

When I go out the next day I take a photo of any old thing, a chimney pot, a front door, a bicycle, a person doing some activity, a tree, anything when I hit the street. This seems to kickstart my shooting frame of mind and I usually come back with something in the can. Now and again I have even used a "kickstart" photo.

Seems to work for me.

Allan

I suppose this is a bit of a lame question, but I'm wondering what you guys/girls do when you have "photographer's block" (similar to "writer's block" but it involves a lot of expensive camera equipment). You know what I mean: it's beautiful sunny weather out there and you have time on your hands, but you still can't seem to get motivated or think of what to go out and photograph. What are some tried-and-true personal strategies that you use to  alleviate this debilitating condition?

P.S. Sorry about the typo in the title. My proofreader has the day off. B)

http://aperture.org/shop/the-photographer-s-playbook-books might help.

From the book

Bnsm1FGCQAEwsuR.jpg

In 1954 Hemingway was in two back-to-back small plane crashes in Africa and was thought to have sustained brain damage from the second crash. Anyway, he was never the same after that. His last major work was written in 1952, The Old Man and the Sea, for which he was awarded a Pulitzer. He killed himself in 1961, not '65. And, sadly, suicide is a part of his family's history.

A lot of people involved in creative work experience "blocks." I've never had a block when involved in an assignment; if I agree to do a job, I do it, and that's that. The nature of stock is that we have to be self-motivated . . . and sometimes we're not. A block can be mild depression. I don't fight it, myself. I let it roll over me like a dark cloud and in a few days it's passed and I'm back to being productive. 

I have the opposite ailment. I wish I could just take photos 24/7, but I have a full time job. I just switched to news about a year ago which brings me to so many exciting events that I never would have expected I would attend. But now I seem to do less news and more Stockimo lately because I feel like deep inside of me there lies a creative artist. A side of me I never knew I had. My tip for you is that every day go to the Yahoo home screen. At the bottom it lists the top ten searched words in Yahoo for the previous day. That's what I scan to see what photos I should go try to take. Today's list has MERS Virus. Why don't you go to the nearest hospital and see if they have any MERS signs at their Emergency entrance. Ten tips each day of Yahoos top searched words should keep you busy and will sell really well too.

John,

What you wrote  is one of the reasons that I quit drinking.  I was not going to mention the part about Pappa and the gun because it is

Friday night (at least in EST USA) and I had a good day.  I do disagree with you about Hemingway's writing skill.  I think

he was interesting, I've read everything he wrote, but in my opinion he was not great like Pushkin and a few others.

How about Capa, a real nut case, but a great photographer or Jimmy Marshall, a good friend or mine, Rest his sole.

Oh, yes, I agree. Hemingway is not even on my list of favourite writers. His subject matter tended to be too macho (dare I say, too "American") for my liking. Perhaps his greatest contribution was his straightforward and simple writing style.

In 1954 Hemingway was in two back-to-back small plane crashes in Africa and was thought to have sustained brain damage from the second crash. Anyway, he was never the same after that. His last major work was written in 1952, The Old Man and the Sea, for which he was awarded a Pulitzer. He killed himself in 1961, not '65. And, sadly, suicide is a part of his family's history.

A lot of people involved in creative work experience "blocks." I've never had a block when involved in an assignment; if I agree to do a job, I do it, and that's that. The nature of stock is that we have to be self-motivated . . . and sometimes we're not. A block can be mild depression. I don't fight it, myself. I let it roll over me like a dark cloud and in a few days it's passed and I'm back to being productive. 

Yes, Hemingway committed suicide in '61. I said "at the age of 65" in my post. Actually I was wrong about that. Hemingway was born in 1899, so that means he was only 62. I've also read that he might have inherited a degenerative physical and mental disease from his father. Whatever the case, he had a sad end.

Oh, sorry, John -- I misread that. Starting with the father, the Hemingway family have had 7 suicides . . . or more. The Coroner gets to say what is or isn't a suicide. Papa's mom was a piece of work. She dressed him as a girl with long hair until he was age 6. And she dressed his sister as a boy. 

My favorite writer? Favorite singer? Artist? Photographer? I think of "creatives" as I think of wines. There are lots of good ones, and I guess I could make a short list. But I'm not always in the mood for the same one.  Hemingway is on my short list . . . but so are Elmore Leonard and Hilary Mantel. 

Unlearning is a slightly slower process of resetting” Wim

Exactly. I had a major tools down period once – seems a long time ago now. It probably lasted about two years, although exactly when it started I can’t say. It was a time of disillusionment. I had been working my way up (a bit) in the London scene and began to realise it was all pretty vacuous. Trying to achieve something in a very competitive environment that you realize you don’t want anyway can become stressful. So I tuned out. The way I tuned back in was similar to the way that Wim describes: new materials and absolute simplicity of means and approach: I bought some rolls of 6x6 colour reversal film - had never used it before – and photographed very ordinary things near where I lived in Battersea, concentrating only on colour and forms. Old wall, metal fences, bits of pavement, almost anything would do. I later carried on this approach with B&W film. They can’t have been that bad because Duffy bought a print for his collection (and not long after that he had his famous burn out – literally, he set fire to his entire archive of negatives in his back garden).

Rule one: pick up your cameras and go out and commit photography. 

Rule 2: There is no rule 2.

Walk out your door and start taking photos, no plans, no ideas, nothing other than a camera and an open mind.

​go to somewhere new
go somewhere you know well 
do something different 
do something you do every day 

Just carry a camera and take photos 

It is that simple  

you are at your most creative in the morning, early morning - look at the diaries of well published authors -  so after a couple of hours writing - not refining just get the words down, take a break even breakfast, then do some admin, then get the camera out, then back for some more admin, then refine what has been written; then call it a day ............. next day start again.  It is about life style!

There are 2 kinds of people Larks and Owls I am an Owl and always have been.

I HATE early mornings unless I am working through from a late night 

I love staying up late with a project when everyone is asleep and everything is dark and quiet 

I always did my best darkroom work between 10pm and about 3am 

I love photographing at night especially in deserted cities and towns 

find the time that suits you, there is no virtue in getting up early, it is a myth spread by the Larks !

I tend to take stock, no pun intended, of recent sales to see what has worked for me and try to see why. If that doesn't work have a stiff drink and start again. As you don't drink pretend that you are going to teach somebody how to become a stock photographer and make notes on the steps to follow and the themes to create and maximize. This should shake out a few topics to follow up on. Good luck. It is always either feast or famine in this game.

dov

Rule one: pick up your cameras and go out and commit photography. 

Rule 2: There is no rule 2.

Walk out your door and start taking photos, no plans, no ideas, nothing other than a camera and an open mind.

​go to somewhere new

go somewhere you know well 

do something different 

do something you do every day 

Just carry a camera and take photos 

It is that simple  

And do it every single day wether you feel inspired or not.

And John M definitely NOT a lame question, but one that goes to the heart of the matter.

John

I think you better go and take a look at the thread Alamy just posted regarding needs from Canada. I suspect your photographer's block is about to become unblocked :D

Merci beaucoup, Jools. I hadn't seen that post. Quite a list indeed, and certainly a remedy for photographer's block.

And thanks, Alamy, for the heads-up.

No worries John!

Oh, I may be over your way next year. I have a number of airmiles that have been saved up since around 2006 and I am nearly at the point of having a cheap ticket to either Canada or the USA. I suspect that I will take Canada in September/ october 2015 :)

No worries John!

Oh, I may be over your way next year. I have a number of airmiles that have been saved up since around 2006 and I am nearly at the point of having a cheap ticket to either Canada or the USA. I suspect that I will take Canada in September/ october 2015 :)

Oh no, more potential competition. There's nothing like New York City in the fall. B)

No worries John!

Oh no, more potential competition. There's nothing like New York City in the fall. B)

LOL :D Our styles are completely different so I wouldn't worry too much on that front. Anyway, you have the advantage of living in the country whereas I have to be selective on when I go.

Coincidentally I'm heading to Canada in late September, visiting the in-laws. I hate the cold and we are going to a cold place. I hate flying long haul, and plenty of that involved. Country will be full of Alamy shooters  :rolleyes:

Just got to print that list of photos required.....

Coincidentally I'm heading to Canada in late September, visiting the in-laws. I hate the cold and we are going to a cold place. I hate flying long haul, and plenty of that involved. Country will be full of Alamy shooters  :rolleyes:

Just got to print that list of photos required.....

September is usually a balmy month, unless of course you're thinking of heading for Vancouver, where it's frigid at that time of year. Personally, I'd recommend Iqaluit.

I do sometimes get what I describe as  "Photography burnout", but this usually does not last very long. But while it does, I do not want to go anywhere near a camera, or spend any time at all sitting in front of a computer processing images. If I'm honest, processing is often the rate-limiting step for me,  I can only take so much of it and I have to be in the right mood, or my productivity is ridiculously small.  I like the post describing the use of a little used lens, like a macro or fish eye only. Forcing you to look more closely, or differently to you normal  working mode,  has worked for me in the past.  Taking the images is not generally the problem, its processing them that sometimes gets to me!

you are at your most creative in the morning, early morning - look at the diaries of well published authors -  so after a couple of hours writing - not refining just get the words down, take a break even breakfast, then do some admin, then get the camera out, then back for some more admin, then refine what has been written; then call it a day ............. next day start again.  It is about life style!

There are 2 kinds of people Larks and Owls I am an Owl and always have been.

I HATE early mornings unless I am working through from a late night 

I love staying up late with a project when everyone is asleep and everything is dark and quiet 

I always did my best darkroom work between 10pm and about 3am 

I love photographing at night especially in deserted cities and towns 

find the time that suits you, there is no virtue in getting up early, it is a myth spread by the Larks !

I agree 1000%. I've always been a night person,even when Iwas a kid.Getting me up for school was a battle every day. I usually go to sleep around 3-4am and wake up around 10-11am. I think better at night. When I was young I use to be one of the assistant managers at a popular nightclub and when I started photography I was doing concerts and hanging out really late at after parties. Not as safe today as it was back in the 70s or 80s but still I prefer the night.

L

But you can change. I was always an owl, happy to work on into the early hours. However, these days I am usually awake soon after 6am and up shortly after 7am ( I read or meditate for a while). As a result I am asleep by 11pm but still occasionally carry on working or reading into the small hours.

I think it is years of being married to a lark and also having to get up early to travel to distant clients for the start of the working day when I was a consultant.

Archived