Clone batteries - Sony users beware

If you buy clone batteries for the RX10, A3000, A6000, NEX-6, A7/R etc - the camera which use USB in-camera charging and do not come with a separate charger - be warned that my various clone batteries which work fine in chargers do not charge at all inside the cameras - nearly got me in to trouble over the last few days, fortunately I had two genuine ones and two clones.

Thank you David.

I bought a "clone" battery for my RX100 and that seems to be charging in camera satisfactorily.

Allan

I haven't noticed that with my clone battery, as I don't charge in-camera.

However, yesterday I noticed that my clone battery didn't want to go into my A3000. Turns out it's a hair larger than a Sony battery (not swelled up, just a tad bigger). The clone fits fine in my NEX-6, and in fact worked for quite a few frames after the NEX-6 said it had 1% remaining. I bought it the same time as I bought the NEX-6, and have been using it for several months.

My RX100 clones work fine - and yes, the clone NP-F50W battery is larger and would be likely to get stuck in my RX10, but would fit my A7R and is fine in all the older models. I tried two different clone batteries same make, two cameras, and two charging methods (direct mains USB adaptor, via MacBook Pro) and only the original Sony cell actually gained charge in the A7R. I could not test the clone in the RX10 because it would have got jammed in it was so tight.

Slightly off topic, but I had a cloned battery for my old Canon 1Ds Mk1. I was out on a shoot, when my camera got rather hot and started to smoke! I removed the battery from its compartment quickly and threw it on the floor, as I had become too hot to hold. Luckily, the Camera was not harmed. But the battery was close to bursting into flames! I’ve not trusted a clone, since!

Slightly off topic, but I had a cloned battery for my old Canon 1Ds Mk1. I was out on a shoot, when my camera got rather hot and started to smoke! I removed the battery from its compartment quickly and threw it on the floor, as I had become too hot to hold. Luckily, the Camera was not harmed. But the battery was close to bursting into flames! I’ve not trusted a clone, since!

That is actually more of a risk with the now ubiqitous Lithium-ion batteries as Boeing have found out with the 787 Dreamliner. NiMH as used on the Canon 1Ds1 was a much more stable technology so you were very unlucky; sound like the battery or a cell went short-circuit - I used several clone batteries to the end of their life for EOS 3 and1D cameras of various types without any problems.

The Lithium fire risk is why there are limits about how much battery Lithium can be carried in luggage when flying.

If you buy clone batteries for the RX10, A3000, A6000, NEX-6, A7/R etc - the camera which use USB in-camera charging and do not come with a separate charger - be warned that my various clone batteries which work fine in chargers do not charge at all inside the cameras - nearly got me in to trouble over the last few days, fortunately I had two genuine ones and two clones.

Thanks for the reminder. I now always use the 3rd party recharger with the 3rd party batteries after learning this lesson years ago with a Canon 30D.

L

I've been using  a clone battery since buying the NEX 6 and it charges both with an external charger and through the camera. However, after a year's constant use it suddenly decided that it would no longer fully charge using the camera, whereas the Sony battery is still functioning.

I'm not sure what to read into this as I don't know what percentage of the time each battery has been in the camera. However the clone cost £12, which is about 1/4 of the cost of a new Sony, so the Sony will have to serve for 4 years in order to be competitive.  I've just bought another clone.

I have clones for my RX100 and RX10.   Both charge OK in camera.  

After I had a problem with the RX100 terminal cover - the little teeth fell off and the door would not latch, I bought a charger so that the little door is never used and batteries are not normally charged in camera.

The clone for the RX10 is by EXpro and its dimensions are identical to the Sony Original.

The Sony battery lives in the camera and is recharged when I connect to download images.  The clone lives in my bag/pocket in case of running out on a shoot.   It should last for ever....

Archived