"Lisa wrote: I have seven photos approved so far via Stockimo, with my highest score a 3.3 out of 4

How or where do you see the score?

Rolf

On the App screen, at the bottom there is a green house icon. Those are the photos that have been accepted. click on one and at the top it says "Commercial - People: 0 - Rating 3.3". The rating lines up directly underneath the green "EDIT" word at the top right, in gray font.

The Stockimo images don't appear in Alamy's manage images so I can't amend/add tags and assume there will be a different way of checking for views/zooms/sales. Possibly only on the iPhone (which I borrowed so will need to wait and check again).

I've had 4 passes and 3 rejected out of 15. I can't see anything wrong with those three apart from the fact they were slightly cropped and adjusted in photoshop. It's possible the full frame photo has to be uploaded although I'm sure someone reported larger than normal iPhone images had been uploaded at the start?

Update: One of the images that passed was slightly cropped so that wasn't the reason the others failed.

It appears that the acceptance criteria is subject based as a priority.

I have uploaded 5 photos. 3 perfectly good ones rejected that i would call standard editorial stock type. 1 accepted that is a pretty double rainbow over whitby and one still waiting of a very unpretty foot amputation, quite curious on that one.

If this is the case then it is a welcome change to the usual unedited pics of everyone's dinner.

I must say that there are some wonderful photos already uploaded that seem to err strongly towards the creative side.

Only images taken with iPhone can be uploaded. You can sync your  iPhone with your PC if you want to upload old mobile photos.

You can only upload to Stockimo using the app so from iPhone or iPad but not PC

Edit: Sorry, you probably meant to get old phone photos from your PC to your iPhone to upload. They will be rejected if they are not iPhone photos though.

Thanks Mihai and Alex - that has clarified it for me.   Like many others on here I don't use an iPhone. As iPhone images don't match Alamy's current requirements for normal uploads I just wondered if I could upload quality images into this lower spec section that I have taken in the past on non-approved cameras etc.

Oh well - just a thought ...  :D

Regards

John

"Lisa wrote: I have seven photos approved so far via Stockimo, with my highest score a 3.3 out of 4

How or where do you see the score?

Rolf

On the App screen, at the bottom there is a green house icon. Those are the photos that have been accepted. click on one and at the top it says "Commercial - People: 0 - Rating 3.3". The rating lines up directly underneath the green "EDIT" word at the top right, in gray font.

Rolf,

I just discovered an even easier way to see the ratings. On the Home page (green house at bottom of screen) at the top left, switch your view from 'Grid' to 'List'. The ratings are more prominent in the 'List' view.

Still don't understand what is their criteria for accepting an image. 

It is not quality as I have uploaded some beautiful landscapes taken with iphone 4s which were rejected and some arty but lower res pictures using hipstamatic on iphone 3gs which were accepted, I have now 14 pics accepted out of over 20 submitted. I don't know what to upload... 

Still don't understand what is their criteria for accepting an image. 

It is not quality as I have uploaded some beautiful landscapes taken with iphone 4s which were rejected and some arty but lower res pictures using hipstamatic on iphone 3gs which were accepted, I have now 14 pics accepted out of over 20 submitted. I don't know what to upload... 

I think beautiful landscapes would be 'stock' not 'stockimo'. Why not take your beautiful landscapes and add a filter, texture, frame and/or border and see if that scores higher. 

Getting back to the OP question, Alamy has made no mention of any buyers' discount for a Stockimo picture sale.  Therefore one would have to presume that Stockimo images will sell for the same amounts (in many cases paltry) as the rest of the collection.  Or did I miss something?

According to the Stockimo website:

"All prices, it depends on the rights we're licensing - where it's used, how big, for how long etc. You may make a sale for $5 or you may make a sale for $500 or sometimes even more.  The average sale price on Alamy is around $90."

Why should there be any discount for purchases of Stockimo photos? Surely it is right that they sell dependent on the use as Alamy are stating. Why does it matter what an image was shot on? If it is good enough to be used, it is good enough to be paid for in the same way as regular images.

I don't think there's a lot to debate over Stockimo. Alamy saw that Instagram is probably thee biggest photo-sharing web platform known to man for mobile photography. There's so much creativity, and buyers would love to tap into the images that are produced for commercial use, however, Facebook's handling of terms and conditions changes where it said that it could sell your photos anytime they liked, fell on angry ears and had to backtrack. 

Alamy seen a gap in a market and knew there would be content. All they had to do was provide the platform for people to use, and clients to buy. 

It's likely to be volatile in the terms and conditions dept for a while till it settles into a trustworthy library for clients, however, the content that is on there just now is actually pretty good so far. It's typical of the creativity seen on Instagram. I'm glad to be a part of it. 

It's likely to be volatile in the terms and conditions dept for a while till it settles into a trustworthy library for clients, however, the content that is on there just now is actually pretty good so far. It's typical of the creativity seen on Instagram. I'm glad to be a part of it. 

Hi Paul,

I have real trouble agreeing with you about the quality of the Stockimo content. The vast majority of the pictures accepted to date would not get on to any of the major microstock libraries simply on the grounds of subject and composition alone, let alone quality issues; the microstock libraries are saturated with images of views through a plane window, apples, cakes flowers, sunsets and too many others to mention. There are some nice pictures in the collection but creativity seems mostly to consist of adding a border, vignette or filter - something well within the imagination and capability of any likely buyer. Given the additional limitations of the file resolution and quality issues, why on earth should any buyer chose an image from Alamy's collection over the microstock offerings being sold for pennies?

If Stockimo has a role it is surely in the increased and fast availability of instant news images from  people on the spot when the photog with his/her DSLR is somewhere else.

It may be that I'm just out of touch in my old age, but it may also be that I have a better grip on reality than the cheerleaders for this passing fad. Time will tell.

Regards,  Joe

Hi Paul,

I have real trouble agreeing with you about the quality of the Stockimo content. The vast majority of the pictures accepted to date would not get on to any of the major microstock libraries simply on the grounds of subject and composition alone, let alone quality issues; the microstock libraries are saturated with images of views through a plane window, apples, cakes flowers, sunsets and too many others to mention. There are some nice pictures in the collection but creativity seems mostly to consist of adding a border, vignette or filter - something well within the imagination and capability of any likely buyer. Given the additional limitations of the file resolution and quality issues, why on earth should any buyer chose an image from Alamy's collection over the microstock offerings being sold for pennies?

If Stockimo has a role it is surely in the increased and fast availability of instant news images from  people on the spot when the photog with his/her DSLR is somewhere else.

It may be that I'm just out of touch in my old age, but it may also be that I have a better grip on reality than the cheerleaders for this passing fad. Time will tell.

Regards,  Joe

Hey Joe :)

I think there's a contingent of buyers who aren't looking at photos anymore for their composition or technical quality. The target market for Stockimo images might very well be different to the market for the higher quality standard library. I think it's about catering for all buyers, covering all angles and making sure that the gaps are filled in. 

When you delve deeply into the iphone photography domain you realise that it's a living breathing eco system that has a very much as modern as it gets. I am in no way a cheerleader for this either. I would hope that Stockimo would fill the gaps with creativity where the standard Stock library would not. I've had to get a wee bit more creative minded with my shots before uploading. I think the edit you place on an image can enhance it's message in some way. That's not to say there's more than a few images that you wonder about, but Alamy has passed it through to obviously see some sales potential. The rate in which the library is growing does worry me though. Just under 10,000 now and on Friday it was just 3000. 

It's early days but I think I'd rather be a part of it than sit wondering if I should have jumped early or not. Splashing in at the start of something is tough going and I usually wait till the dust settles, but this time I haven't.  

To help with the original question of sales. 

Checking All of Alamy for Stockimo searches it looks like a promising picture. I think that it's only registered clients who search that appear on the All of Alamy section? If that's the case then there's a lot of traffic on that search. However, only 41 zooms out of nearly 10k images, and no reported sales yet. Not to say there isn't any, but they'll just take a while to filter through no doubt. 

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe the first week after Stockimo had launched danmog  tweeted they'd had a Stockimo sale that appeared on the BBC site. A day or two later they tweeted that the sale did not yet appear in the app. So if any more sales have been made it's possible photographers don't yet know about them. It could take just as long to report a Stockimo sale as it does regular Alamy sales.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-26383185

S005FJ.jpg

Hi Paul,

Regards,  Joe

Agree totally with you. Any discerning buyer wouldn't waste their time on this low grade rubbish when there are millions of much superior images in the main collection. Unless of course they can get the stockimo photos for peanuts.

Archived