QC question (<<topic title changed by admin>>)

Don't give up too soon.

I had a dusty one pass QC by accident once and deleted it myself afterwards.

I need to get it wet cleaned, I've got one spot in top left corner on every image, sometimes I forget to clone it out.  

I recommend Digipads. Easy to do once you screw up the courage.

(Assuming you don't want to change to an SLT- no dust, ever, despite the shutter effectively being open all the time).

+1 for Digipads from me.

Once you get past the nervous stage, they are pretty easy to use and give great results.

I have a batch in QC now that's an obvious fail, just had a quick look, and it looks like a dust spot on one or two of them.

28 day's in QC prison again..

Terry.

The cells are getting pretty full these days by the sounds of it. Don't forget to pack a lunch. See y'all there!

I agree that our images have improved over the years, and also agree  that some of what passed 8 years ago would fail miserably now.  I have looked back at some of my early images here and actually deleted a bunch.  Felt shame.  Then I had a sale appear of one of those images awaiting deletion (someone really dug deep) and asked MS for the last batch to be taken out of the deletion order.  Didn't help all the ones that actually had gone through and disappeared. I probably deleted 100-200 images in all.

Lesson learned:  Don't delete images because one is ashamed of early work, and worry about what one's peers think.  It is a business, after all. 

Funny thing, on FAA I do a lot of artistic stuff to my images.  My work has progressed in quality as the months have gone by.  I also went back and deleted some early stuff.  Then a couple of weeks ago an image sold that I hadn't gotten around to deleting, yet.  What is the creator's poison may be the jackpot for someone else.  The eye of the beholder, and all that.  Same can be applied to stock.

Lesson learned:  Don't delete images because one is ashamed of early work, and worry about what one's peers think.  It is a business, after all. 

I totally agree, for a while my designer sister (when she was a stock user) was doing the selection for me (10 years ago) and I uploaded many images I would not even have considered, one or two have gone on to be repeat sellers and accumulated serious fees. I don't have enough of them though :(

Photographers are often not the best editors of their own work.

I agree that our images have improved over the years, and also agree  that some of what passed 8 years ago would fail miserably now.  I have looked back at some of my early images here and actually deleted a bunch.  Felt shame.  Then I had a sale appear of one of those images awaiting deletion (someone really dug deep) and asked MS for the last batch to be taken out of the deletion order.  Didn't help all the ones that actually had gone through and disappeared. I probably deleted 100-200 images in all.

Funny thing, on FAA I do a lot of artistic stuff to my images.  My work has progressed in quality as the months have gone by.  I also went back and deleted some early stuff.  Then a couple of weeks ago an image sold that I hadn't gotten around to deleting, yet.  What is the creator's poison may be the jackpot for someone else.  The eye of the beholder, and all that.  Same can be applied to stock.

Interestingly enough, the photo that has earned me the most income on FAA is one that would not have had a hope in Hades of passing Alamy QC. It's much too fuzzy (scanned slide from the 80's). Fortunately, there are still some romantic impressionists out there who don't see the world through HD glasses. B)

In the "good old days" when we looked at slides/negs etc with a critical eye using a lightbox and lope I don't seem to remember the lope giving the magnification to the equivalent of the 100% that we have to use for digital images today.

Maybe we could get away with more then.

Which is not good news for me as I am preparing to digitise my old film collection with a view to adding some images from them to my Alamy port.

Allan

I've yet to build consistent monthly sales on FAA but of those that have sold, none have been personal favorites.  I've eliminate some images over the past year and a half but now I simply push the older, less technically perfect images to the back of the portfolio. 

• 2 months later...

Folks,

I'm a bit new to the forum, so Hi to everyone out there!

on 30 March I was tring a fish eye lens and the t shots were uploaded. these failed QC And after taking a close look they weren't up to standard and I hold my hands up to this.

My problem is a few days later I uploaded a set to the NEws section and i got the "Unable To Process - resubmit media"

Tried again and got the the same message. I then uploaded the same photos to stock and they passed QC and are Now live

So yesterday I tried to upload another set and I'm getting "Unable To Process - resubmit media"

Just read the reoky by Ed Rooney, about sin Bin. does it Look like I've been sin Binned? Is it 28 days?

I'll be uploading the same files to Stock later to day and see what happens!

Kind Regards

Sean

Folks,

on 30 March I was tring a fish eye lens and the t shots were uploaded. these failed QC And after taking a close look they weren't up to standard and I hold my hands up to this.

My problem is a few days later I uploaded a set to the NEws section and i got the "Unable To Process - resubmit media"

Tried again and got the the same message. I then uploaded the same photos to stock and they passed QC and are Now live

So yesterday I tried to upload another set and I'm getting "Unable To Process - resubmit media"

Just read the reoky by Ed Rooney, about sin Bin. does it Look like I've been sin Binned? Is it 28 days?

Kind Regards

Sean

No Sean, this would have nothing to do with the sin bin.

There is no wait time after you have your QC results, no matter whether a pass or fail. The sin bin is the time it takes Alamy to let you know if you failed. Quite often, if your pics have failed, it will take Alamy up to 28 days to let you know. That is your sin bin time, the waiting to hear. Once you hear a lot has failed, you are free to upload away.

I would contact MS about your news upload problem.

Jill

This thread is still alive?

I uploaded at the start of last week, got email saying I failed on Friday. Haven't been on my a-game lately due to some stuff, forth upload I failed this year, time to wake up, me think.

Lucky you. I'm in for the usual month wait by the looks of it. But hey, I did make it into the "Top 500" last quarter, which should prevent me from slashing my wrists (for the time being, anyway) . B)

Folks,

Kind Regards

Sean

I had previously submitted News photos successfully, but I was doing a test upload last week from another device and with some different software and I got the "Unable To Process - resubmit media" message. I'm pretty sure that it was because I only had the caption field filled and not the Headline field as well. I copied the caption to the headline and it went through fine.

I've found Alamy to be very helpful on this. It might be worth doing a test submission of one or two images, as they suggest. I just put the date and then "Test Upload, please ignore" in the Caption and Headline fields, so it doesn't end up on the Live News page!   

I have a batch in QC now that's an obvious fail, just had a quick look, and it looks like a dust spot on one or two of them.

28 day's in QC prison again..

Terry.

The cells are getting pretty full these days by the sounds of it. Don't forget to pack a lunch. See y'all there!

All it takes to get through the prison bars is a few clean, sharp files. Best smuggled inside a cake maybe?

Archived