f2 is coming back home :-)

This may be slightly cryptic for those who don't remember when my last mirror broke, but a little over seven years ago, in late summer 2006, I made a sudden decision to cease publishing f2 Freelance Photographer magazine. With hindsight, my timing was wrong, as the DSLR market was about to boom, full frame high resolution arriving properly in 2008, mirrorless cameras in 2010, and 'freelancing' took on a new meaning as the web speeded up to the point where every photographer is their own publisher.

EC1, who took the magazine over from me, told me last week that they were closing down and without even considering the possible state of the magazine, I immediately agreed to take the title back, and will be at The Photography Show with the first revised edition. José Ramos, the dedicated photographer of Portugal's Atlantic coast whose work has been portfolio featured in Cameracraft (which will not be affected!) has agreed to be on the first front cover.

cover-april14.jpg

To bring a little lightness to a magazine which I think has become very solid in recent years I'm putting back into it some open gallery pages for all comers, and One Vision Imaging, the UK lab, is sponsoring these pages under the title of 'Your Vision' by providing a voucher redeemable against their services for every pic used.

I'm more than open to Alamy regulars - especially UK - and if you would like any pics considered in the next couple of weeks run up to my press date, why not post the Alamy preview here, and we'll see what looks good? I'm also looking for any freelancing success stories (I can think of a couple of photographers here who had a very stormy winter and some amazing coastal shots used all over the media).

David

To bring a little lightness to a magazine which I think has become very solid in recent years I'm putting back into it some open gallery pages for all comers, and One Vision Imaging, the UK lab, is sponsoring these pages under the title of 'Your Vision' by providing a voucher redeemable against their services for every pic used.

I'm more than open to Alamy regulars - especially UK - and if you would like any pics considered in the next couple of weeks run up to my press date, why not post the Alamy preview here, and we'll see what looks good? I'm also looking for any freelancing success stories (I can think of a couple of photographers here who had a very stormy winter and some amazing coastal shots used all over the media).

David

Hi David, would you kindly consider humble submissions from an Alamy forum newbie and Canadian-based travel photographer?  Good luck with your renewed venture.  I hope it's a smashing success. :)  The submissions:

1. The Bay Lights. Bay Bridge, San Francisco, California, USA.

DEXJPC.jpg

2. Dreaming of the World Cup.  Vittoriosa, Malta.

DGY5BN.jpg

3. Beautiful girls. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

BRMK91.jpg

4. Dreamspace. Place Masséna, Nice, France.

ATCCGJ.jpg

5. Guarding the house.  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

DF6JMJ.jpg

Kind regards,

Felix

dingobear photography

http://www.dingobear.com

This may be slightly cryptic for those who don't remember when my last mirror broke, but a little over seven years ago, in late summer 2006, I made a sudden decision to cease publishing f2 Freelance Photographer magazine. With hindsight, my timing was wrong, as the DSLR market was about to boom, full frame high resolution arriving properly in 2008, mirrorless cameras in 2010, and 'freelancing' took on a new meaning as the web speeded up to the point where every photographer is their own publisher.

EC1, who took the magazine over from me, told me last week that they were closing down and without even considering the possible state of the magazine, I immediately agreed to take the title back, and will be at The Photography Show with the first revised edition. José Ramos, the dedicated photographer of Portugal's Atlantic coast whose work has been portfolio featured in Cameracraft (which will not be affected!) has agreed to be on the first front cover.

cover-april14.jpg

David

Congrats David,can't wait to see it! :)

Great news David. I for one would be interested in seeing the magazine when you finally publish. Will it be hardcopy, digital or both?

Could you let us know when it will be available?

You are welcome to look through my 1900 odd images on Alamy to see if any would be of use to you in f2.

Please let me know if I can be of help in any way.

Allan

David, Great news and best wishes with the reincarnation of Freelance Photographer. It explains why you have been a bit quiet here recently.

I stopped reading (and writing for) Freelance Photographer/F2 when my subscription expired shortly after the sale and I realised they were not paying for content (it showed).

I'll probably be in touch in due course through other channels.

Martin

Martin - it will be a while before I know whether I return to having a budget for contributions. EC1 was certainly paying a few writers recently, Kevin Carter and Adam Woolfitt for tests/gear, Gavin Stoker and maybe one other non-staff writer for interviews or miscellaneous stuff. It's ironic that when they took the mag over, the budgets existed to do this but in the state it's been handed back, they do not. I've got to meet £2800 worth of not-refunded subscriptions, most running to late in the year, and honour some pre-commissioned work.

The worst that can happen is that is that I lose a lot of money :-)

David,

Payment is not my main concern at this stage. What I do know from working with you on and off over many years is that you will be honest and straightforward. As you do with CameraCraft you will find ways to play fair by contributors, after all you are one of us, not some invisible bean counter.

As you say you cannot operate in a way that will harm yours or the magazines reputation. So, ouch on the inherited problems; you have to get that sorted before anything else.

My hope is that you can get it back to a viable condition; if I can help I will. I have a busy couple of days but I will try and drop you a line with some thoughts at the weekend. I hope I will be able to get to the show and meet up with you there.

Good luck,

Martin

Felix - thanks for showing those images - I really like the lights on the Bay bridge, if I remember that's not a permanent thing? The gallery pages are I guess really aimed at UK photographers as the voucher given for the use is from a UK photo lab. I will pm you.

Linda - I know one of the things which really knocked the wind out of the last owners of the magazine, after I passed it on to them, was their ambitious plan to sell it in the USA. They shipped 10,000 copies at great expense to a distribution hub in your own great city but they did not understand the US magazine market, pricing, content or how to handle their 'distributor' - I believe it was a very expensive way to send magazines for landfill or pulping. They never repeated it.

But we WILL have continuation of their existing bookstore App so it will be available in iPad, Android etc version. Just not got that sorted yet.

David,

Great news, I enjoyed F2 very much when it was yours before, but soon stopped subscribing in 2012, it just was not my thing any more.   I will be looking out for when it starts. (Subscription money ready and waiting).   Good luck with the new venture.

Felix - thanks for showing those images - I really like the lights on the Bay bridge, if I remember that's not a permanent thing? The gallery pages are I guess really aimed at UK photographers as the voucher given for the use is from a UK photo lab. I will pm you.

Thank you, David.  Regarding the Bay Bridge, yes the lights are part of an art project called "The Bay Lights", and they're scheduled to be taken down March 2015.  I think there are many who are hopeful they become a more permanent feature of San Francisco Bay, however.  (I sure hope so, I think it's beautiful).

Ok, going to check my email right now.

Felix

Linda - I know one of the things which really knocked the wind out of the last owners of the magazine, after I passed it on to them, was their ambitious plan to sell it in the USA. They shipped 10,000 copies at great expense to a distribution hub in your own great city but they did not understand the US magazine market, pricing, content or how to handle their 'distributor' - I believe it was a very expensive way to send magazines for landfill or pulping. They never repeated it.

But we WILL have continuation of their existing bookstore App so it will be available in iPad, Android etc version. Just not got that sorted yet.

A few years ago I really disliked APPS for reading books and magazines now I love them. I appreciate them the most in PDF format because I can search and read on any medium. I don't want to be hampered in the future if I changed formats and not be able to access something. I've recently sold off so many books because I'd like to relocate in a year or two and I'm starting to sell things off now.It's so nice not to have a 4 foot stack of magazines and 3 bookcases bending from the weight! At least in Chicago,the bad part for magazine sales is not too many outlets to pick them up. I really miss Borders Books. Barnes and Noble is the only chain left and not really in most neighborhoods. The grocery stores and drugstores only carry the best selling titles.Can't wait to see f2!

I'm well under way with my issue and I would like a bit of feedback. My original (2004) logo was very much f2 as the identity for the magazine, before that it was just Freelance Photographer. I still like f2 as a title and that's what we call the magazine here. My design for the cover puts f2 very small and Freelance big as a word. Now considering the impact of this on news-outlet buyers - is Freelance a word anyone uses today? f2 is obviously a bit cryptic but maybe it was, and still is, a better name.

It's suggested that I must have 'Photographer' big or no-one will know what the magazine is about.

Any thoughts?

Depends how much passing trade you expect.

'Photographer' is big enough, it might go to the same size as 'Freelance' but it wouldn't worry me as it is. It's not unclear what it's about. f2 might go bigger, but maybe it's more a title for the 'in' crowd than the casual browser. But don't let this committee design your horse!

People who don't know that f2 has to do with photography are not your audience, David. Is there anyone out there on Alamy or other agencies who does not know what PDN means? 

Here's a little test I used when I was in control of designing the covers for American Airlines brochures. In the WH Smith or the like I would take a half-second to look at the entire magazine display. Then I looked away and tried to visualize which covers I remembered best. Black and red made the best color impressions. Closeups caught the eye better that landscapes. 

You don't need to answer all questions about what is inside a magazine with the cover. It's more important to activate curiosity.   

Ed is right. Testing is the way to go.

I don't know how magazines are displayed at the main outlets in the UK, here your layout would be disastrous: most magazines overlap the others about 2/3 coming from the right. So the spine and about 1/3 is visible on the display. Cover layout usually reflects that. It's different for magazines that get a full size display slot of their own, Like the Vogues of this world. Photo magazines seldom fall in that category I'm afraid. They may though, if you decide to distribute through your own channel (lots of work) and you sell them from the counters of camera shops. (How many of those left?) In the US many outlets show the upper 1,5 to 2 inches.

What sells? Eyes that look at you. And if your audience is predominantly male: those of a young woman. If your audience is predominantly female: eyes of a young woman. (I'm not kidding.) Open face. Well known is a bonus of up to 1000%. Scandal? Sky is the limit.

Usually you do not move layout design to far from what the other magazines in the same field are doing (like yours now) because clients wouldn't recognize it as a photography magazine. That's overall typology. In typography; the choice of typeface and the size (big & tight = loud = mainstream  vs small& space = quality = expensive -could be value for money)  positions your magazine in that field. The same goes for paper and cover of course. Heavy and stiff is quality is good. Big differences in paper there. On the shelf it has to stay fresh for at least a week. No sagging, no creases or blemishes. Square spine with title: people may collect and display them.

Make PDN-UK and you will have a sure winner. And you wouldn't have to worry about putting a woman on your cover. (PDN covers)

wishing you lots of success! wim

Archived