Novel Use AI payments

Reimar

Question

I got one too. $0.14 though, which is a little disappointing.

30 June 2024 Other income spacer.gif Novel Use AI payments   0.14 0.14 Cleared

Other income? What does that mean? And I thought I opted out Novel Use but I guess it didn't register at all so that's also infuriating.

Edited by KitJames

From Alamy's last contract update (below). Novel use permits the use of your images for AI training. This is why I pulled out of Novel Use, because AI will destroy a lot of the stock industry. Maybe I should just be pragmatic and take some money before the inevitable comes...

9. Novel Use Licences (participation in novel use is optional)

• 9.1. If you grant Alamy the right to grant Novel Use Licences, you give Alamy permission to: (i) license your Content at any price, by any method and for any use we feel appropriate; and (ii) make the Content available to third parties without consulting you, including but not limited to trials with potential Customers, Machine Learning and prototypes/proof of concept and high volume low unit price Licences; Where Alamy does not make a charge to these third parties, you will not receive payment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alexander Hogg said:

Feeling the same way Lost interest at the moment 

My interest waxes and wanes... I thought you were seeing increased sales numbers?

28 minutes ago, Steve F said:

My interest waxes and wanes... I thought you were seeing increased sales numbers?

It is not too bad Cannot complain for the size of the port roughly 47 photos to date sold think that might include ones not cleared yet 

• Love 1

Today Novel Use AI payments of 100.82 appeared on my account, but otherwise, June was a terrible month

5 hours ago, Reimar said:

I just got $43 for "Novel Use AI payments".  Did Alamy sell it's content for AI training?

Was this for a specific image, or an individual payment?

I always thought the "novel use" license was meant to cover things that didn't fall into another standard licensing model - kids' homework or printing on a mug etc. 
AI training should, and quite easily could, be a separate licensing model (with a choice to opt out). I opted out of NU a long time ago, thank goodness, but it seems the 'novel use' label has become just a lazy way of selling photos for almost nothing for any use.

Edited by Phil Robinson

The AI learns so that it can later generate its images. It is the beginning of the end of stock photography

• Like 1

On 30/06/2024 at 14:14, Jill Morgan said:

Was this for a specific image, or an individual payment?

Now that we're working again...

This appears to be for AI training.  No idea how it's calculated.  I would have thought it's based on the size of the collection used by an AI company.

On 01/07/2024 at 01:52, John Mitchell said:

It sounds as if opting back into NU might be worth reconsidering.

What exactly is "AI training" anyway? 🤔

AI is trained on your image so someone, in the future, asking for such an image can use the AI-generated one rather than actually licensing your image. 

Edited by Mark Scheuern

2 hours ago, Mark Scheuern said:

AI is trained on your image so someone, in the future, asking for such an image can use the AI-generated one rather than actually licensing your image. 

Can A.I. please generate a sad and angry face emoji for me??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Scheuern said:

I don't think that's a smart thing to say.

2 hours ago, Mark Scheuern said:

I think I'd prefer to not to make a few bucks than help contribute to the decline of the industry. 

You're probably right about that. These days I'm mainly pursuing photographic interests other than "stock". However, it would be nice to continue making some extra pocket money. 🤠

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Scheuern said:

Thanks for the link. Hmmm... 🤔

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Can A.I. please generate a sad and angry face emoji for me??

I just asked ChatGPT on your behalf, and here is what he/she/it came back with:

"Sure, here's a sad and angry face emoji: 😠😢"

Not a terribly creative response...

• Love 2

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I just asked ChatGPT on your behalf, and here is what he/she/it came back with:

"Sure, here's a sad and angry face emoji: 😠😢"

Not a terribly creative response...

Thanks John (and ChatGPT), greatly appreciate it! 😆

Edited by Michael Ventura

2 hours ago, KitJames said:

I don't think that's a smart thing to say.

I agree, and it's not the first time she's been a less than stellar spokesperson for the company. I'm surprised they let her give interviews. 

21 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for the link. Hmmm... 🤔

Management jobs might go away first.   Some people elsewhere have argued that a lot of the resistance to work at home and salaries based on productivity, not hours, has proved that middle management and accounting could be replaced quite easily by AI units who don't get their jollies topping people trapped in office suites. 

As for why she get to give interviews..... 

A friend who's written against Bit Coin has see some of the same BS with AI.  Computers can generate images.  A trail camera can capture images, but doesn't know when not to capture images and when to capture more of the action.   Computers are tremendously fast at sorting data, but bad algorithms give bad data.   Noise reduction software, AI is brilliant, but I don't think it can figure out if a noiseless, in focus, subject framed right amount off center is a good photograph.

I wouldn't mind being able to generate movies without having to have a studio and real money, producers, camera people, and all.   Being able to tweak action and expression shots cheaply would be fun.  The typical AI products that I've seen are derivative and as long as they're trained on prior material, they'll be generic product.   A lot of companies run by people who truly could be replaced by AIs do like generic product with tweaks.

The more detailed the instructions given to an AI program, the more the unique perspective and thinking of the human giving those instructions will matter.   If you can make a movie for time spent with a fairly high end computer, the need for the studio and producer and all that becomes less. 

George Bernard Shaw pointed out that theater managers needed to be basically competent but improvements over that were wasted since the best management in the world couldn't have a bad play and the worst management would have to be truly terrible to kill a truly great play.   "Copy X best seller and change the to New York rather than Manchester" isn't going to generate a brilliant TV series.  UK Queer as Folk" was brilliant.   US "Queer as Folk" nope. 

• Like 1