March Challenge - Ships and Boats

Congrats Steve! I've got nearly 150 to choose from including a museum in the shape of a ship, hovercraft, and submarines, but I went with saiboats/tallships to help narrow it down. Great subject!

US Coast Guard cadets furl the sails of the tall ship Eagle after the Parade of Sail during OpSail2012, New London, Connecticut (I took this from another ship in the parade - in between being seasick - I love boats but they don't love me)

us-coast-guard-cadets-furl-the-sails-on-

A sailboat in Rockland Harbor, Maine

red-wooden-sailboat-docked-at-pier-rockl

Sunset seen through the rigging of the Californian at the Maritime Museum, on the Embarcadero, San Diego, California

sunset-seen-through-the-rigging-of-the-c

• Love 2
  • Like 1

A highly decorated boat on the Halic River in Istanbul, Turkey, the Republic of Türkiye

2R5FJR7.jpg

Colourful Thai fishing boats at the harbour on the Rayong River, Rayong Province, Thailand, South East Asia

2PPAW73.jpg

A shirtless teenage boy gets ready to jump in the sea from a beached boat at the seaside resort of Nha Trang in Vietnam, South East Asia, Indochina, Asia, on a hot, sunny day during the Tet New Year holiday

2AR5596.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1

TRT289.jpg

Pilot boat racing out to meet a ship at the mouth of the River Liffey, Dublin, Ireland

C89HPB.jpg

Roundstone Harbour, Connemara, County Galway, Ireland

EC9RXR.jpg

A sailng boat glides past the setting sun, Los Cristianos, Tenerife, Canary Islands

Edited by MDM
  • Love 2

AWYJ20.jpg

Starfish and passing dhow, Zanzibar

BY758C.jpg

Boats being unloaded off barge onto beach, Capricornia Cays, Great Barrier Reef

HGBG7R.jpg

Reducing tyre pressure for a smoother ride along corrugated outback road. A few years ago we moved this trailer-sailer from Perth to Cairns, driving from dawn till dusk. That was a LONG six and a half days.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, LSP said:

HGBG7R.jpg

Reducing tyre pressure for a smoother ride along corrugated outback road. A few years ago we moved this trailer-sailer from Perth to Cairns, driving from dawn till dusk. That was a LONG six and a half days.

Was it via the Great Central Road?

20 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I see Australia has a LOT of red dirt. Being from Oklahoma, I know red dirt.
Gen, do you have trouble with it staining everything? Clothes, or whatever? When we were looking to buy a house in Oklahoma City, the realtor would pull up in front of a house to show us & the first thing I looked at before getting out of her car was whether the lawn had red dirt or not. If it did, I told her to drive on. Having it tracked in on carpet? Forget it.  You can never quite get it out of a carpet. Who wants red paths in the house?

Where I am now, I don’t have carpets, but I do have large area rugs on hardwood.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Just now, Betty LaRue said:

I see Australia has a LOT of red dirt. Being from Oklahoma, I know red dirt.
Gen, do you have trouble with it staining everything? Clothes, or whatever? When we were looking to buy a house in Oklahoma City, the realtor would pull up in front of a house to show us & the first thing I looked at before getting out of her car was whether the lawn had red dirt or not. If it did, I told her to drive on. Having it tracked in on carpet? Forget it.  You can never quite get it out of a carpet. Who wants red parts in the house?

Where I am now, I don’t have carpets, but I do have large area rugs on hardwood.

Oh yes, red dirt stains everything. My originally white bus is now a sickly yellowish-reddish hue. Ditto my white bed linen (what was I thinking?). Not to mention our toes, we live in sandals.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

To the best of my recollection this pic was on the road heading north from Barcaldine, Queensland. We were nearly within ~1000 km of the destination by this point. There had been quite a few "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" moments. And by the time we arrived in the Wet Tropics the next day, everything was ankle-deep in floodwater.

• Love 1

On 25/03/2024 at 21:10, gvallee said:

Oh yes, red dirt stains everything. My originally white bus is now a sickly yellowish-reddish hue. Ditto my white bed linen (what was I thinking?). Not to mention our toes, we live in sandals.

When 7-8 yrs old on the farm, a red dirt farm, all we had was a cattle tank to take a dip in. The water was stained red. I’d outgrown my swimsuit so I got in the water dressed in white cotton undershirt & panties. They ultimately were stained sooo badly. My mom bleached the heck out of them. Didn’t work.

BTW, sis & I only “swam” in the cow tank once or twice. Cow slobbers grossed us out. We didn’t even have a lawn sprinkler to cool off in.

• Love 1

2HN43NM.jpg

fishing boats in Struisbaai, Western Cape, South Africa

RGHX6P.jpg

lobster or crayfish boats in Kalk Bay harbour, Cape Town, South Africa

TRKY4X.jpg

Hout Bay harbour, view of fishing boats against mountains 

• Love 1

It’s the final day for entries in this months competition. I’ll close the thread at midnight tonight GMT and start the difficult task of choosing a final eight images, to vote on, tomorrow 🙂

• Like 1