Sony RX100

Phil

Question

The RX100 appears to be a popular pocket/purse camera with many Alamy contributors.

For those with an Alamy track record with an RX100 - 

Is there any benefit when shooting RAW to reducing file size when Exporting an uncropped .jpg with LrC as an effort to preclude any noise or "soft and lacking definition" or other Alamy QC rejections that might result from the RX100's smaller sensor?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

I bought one for my wife's birthday last year and was lucky to get £100 off the RRP as John Lewis was closing it's camera section and it was the last one. Her mk1 developed a problem with the lens cover sticking so keeping it in a spectacle bag might be a good idea rather than in a pocket or handbag, just to stop any dirt or fluff getting in there. I haven't really had any use of it yet but I'm sure I will given time. 😉

There are cases for them. Mine has a pocket for an extra battery and a cord so I can hang it around my neck.

Paulette

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

There are cases for them. Mine has a pocket for an extra battery and a cord so I can hang it around my neck.

Paulette

Good call. It never crossed my mind about an actual case. For a fairly cheap one I like this. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leather-RX100II-RX100III-DSC-RX100-Shoulder/dp/B0767C7WT5/ref=asc_df_B0767C7WT5/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=394361812931&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14495316443786528591&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046950&hvtargid=pla-561501567019&mcid=76cb7e92accb3ffab8ddd3f8c358c192&ref=&adgrpid=87233665892&th=1

RX100 II here, bought new years ago and immediately fitted with a little handgrip - can't recall who produces them, but they make a big difference to ease of use and security. I keep thinking I'll get a newer model when it finally dies, but it just goes on working faultlessly. I do reduce the file size slightly when submitting to Alamy - and with the new Lightroom noise reduction I'm more than happy shooting at high ISOs.

Alex

• Like 1

I prefer to have it in a pocket with my hand through the strap, that is fixed to righthand side, and holding camera ready to use. No cover of any kind. When I see an opportunity photo arising out it comes flip EVF lever and bring camera up to eye level. Other movements will be going on at the same time. eg step to side, crouch, etc.

I do have the front grip fitted which makes it much easier to handle.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

35 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Oh for the nice pockets men have. It's very iffy where women's clothes are concerned. The wrist strap is very handy.

Paulette

Look for made in Pakistan.   I've also had pants made with very nice pockets locally, but I suspect that would be pricey in New York.   I've even found pajama bottoms here with pockets.  The other pockets option is an apron, but that's probably going to look terminally weird in the US outside a garden.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Look for made in Pakistan.   I've also had pants made with very nice pockets locally, but I suspect that would be pricey in New York.   I've even found pajama bottoms here with pockets.  The other pockets option is an apron, but that's probably going to look terminally weird in the US outside a garden.

One of my pet peeves is that a lot of men's shirts no longer have a breast pocket, so there's nowhere to put my reading glasses, which drives me nuts. As a result, I'm hanging on to my old shirts with pockets until they disintegrate. At some point, gull-wing and button-down collars are bound to come back in style.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 07/01/2024 at 04:07, Sultanpepa said:

I bought one for my wife's birthday last year and was lucky to get £100 off the RRP as John Lewis was closing it's camera section and it was the last one. Her mk1 developed a problem with the lens cover sticking so keeping it in a spectacle bag might be a good idea rather than in a pocket or handbag, just to stop any dirt or fluff getting in there. I haven't really had any use of it yet but I'm sure I will given time. 😉

I've not had the pleasure of meeting John Lewis. He sounds like a nice chap. 🤠

13 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I've not had the pleasure of meeting John Lewis. He sounds like a nice chap. 🤠

As cordial as Jack Daniel's?     😄 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

Oh for the nice pockets men have. It's very iffy where women's clothes are concerned. The wrist strap is very handy.

Paulette

I'm with you Paulette! In the summer I have a couple of pairs of men's shorts I wear when I'm out hiking simply because of the ample pockets - at my age, the fact that they are nice and long is an added bonus.

My favorite summer dress has pockets but not big enough even for my iPhone - though at least good for a lens cap. I was in the Gap some years ago and was looking for some cotton dresses during a vey hot spell. As I was headed to the dressing room, the saleswoman came running after me and said "you have to try this one, it has pockets!" I bought it though it was two sizes larger than what I wore at the time - as a simple T-shirt dress it really didn't matter. It still fit when I gained a ton of weight during Covid, so I'm doubly grateful for the pockets!

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

One of my pet peeves is that a lot of men's shirts no longer have a breast pocket, so there's nowhere to put my reading glasses, which drives me nuts. As a result, I'm hanging on to my old shirts with pockets until they disintegrate. At some point, gull-wing and button-down collars are bound to come back in style.

Similar here, although I prefer thicker shirts with 2 pockets. One for my phone, the other for my wallet when the pockets have buttons. I would never buy a shirts without at least 1 pocket. T shirts are the exception.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Anyone use a "photographers" vest anymore?  Lots of pockets of different sizes on those.

Very versatile garment for photography, video, loading the pockets with carry-on items for travel, and various outdoor activities etc.

I suspect they may be looked down upon as somewhat nerdy and unfashionable nowadays.

Edited by Phil

I have a wonderful big one with lots and lots of pockets. It even has a collar so the camera strap doesn't rub. The only thing I don't like about using it versus a bag is you have the weight all the time. You can put a bag down.

Paulette

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I have a wonderful big one with lots and lots of pockets. It even has a collar so the camera strap doesn't rub. The only thing I don't like about using it versus a bag is you have the weight all the time. You can put a bag down.

Paulette

Better to have the weight distributed about your body rather than have someone snatch your bag when you put it down I would have thought.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Anyone use a "photographers" vest anymore?  Lots of pockets of different sizes on those.

Very versatile garment for photography, video, loading the pockets with carry-on items for travel, and various outdoor activities etc.

I suspect they may be looked down upon as somewhat nerdy and unfashionable nowadays.

I have a fisherman's vest which is great for multiple pockets to carry the smaller stuff even Sony RX100 cameras fit in nicely.

Allan

21 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I shop for shirts in M&S and Pitlochry shops here and most of the shirts have a breast pocket on the left side for reading spectacles.

Allan

46 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Better to have the weight distributed about your body rather than have someone snatch your bag when you put it down I would have thought.

Allan

I was using it in the wild where the only other people were in my group so theft not a problem. I've also used it a few times in the zoo. The Bronx Zoo is less of a "zoo" than my neighborhood.

Paulette

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I shop for shirts in M&S and Pitlochry shops here and most of the shirts have a breast pocket on the left side for reading spectacles.

Allan

Sadly, M&S decided to exit Vancouver a number of years ago. I may have to start sewing "spectacle" pockets on shirts myself. Maybe masking tape will do the job as well. 😉

18 hours ago, NYCat said:

I was using it in the wild where the only other people were in my group so theft not a problem. I've also used it a few times in the zoo. The Bronx Zoo is less of a "zoo" than my neighborhood.

Paulette

😧

Allan

18 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Sadly, M&S decided to exit Vancouver a number of years ago. I may have to start sewing "spectacle" pockets on shirts myself. Maybe masking tape will do the job as well. 😉

Or tie them to a piece of string around you neck.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

After following this thread and hearing others extolling the virtues of the RX100 series cameras I have taken the plunge but gone for the VI instead of the VII. Main difference seems to be video related which I'm not into. The VI is selling for £775 on Amazon at the moment in the UK and with gift cards the cost was £640 to me. 

I hope to be pleased🤞🏻

On 09/01/2024 at 11:55, Allan Bell said:

I have a fisherman's vest...

I bought this 5+ yrs ago:
(I only wear when traveling)
(its wearing out, getting dirty)
(washing requires extensive ironing, wifey don't like that)
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-aventur1-fly-vest

Just ordered this in red less than half the price $17.59US
(prices change often,multiple vendors offering same product)
(but then I found out company may be linked to Uyghurs slavery)
(so may back off buying more from them)

question about RX100 VII:
is it still pocketable when "on" at widest angle (or shortest "on" lens length?
how many seconds from "off" to "on" ready-to-shoot?
how many seconds zooming from widest angle to 200mm?
does anyone have both RX10 & RX100 & able to compare these measurements?
thanks in advance

Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

question about RX100 VII:

is it still pocketable when "on" at widest angle (or shortest "on" lens length?
how many seconds from "off" to "on" ready-to-shoot?
how many seconds zooming from widest angle to 200mm?
does anyone have both RX10 & RX100 & able to compare these measurements?
thanks in advance

According to my iPhone 14's Stopwatch and RX100M7:

As for pocketablity - its 3 in. thick when on at widest zoom and pokes out to 4 in at full zoom. Both measurements from rear of LCD screen to front edge of lens

Secs off to on:  slightly less than 2 sec

widest to max zoom speeds - 2 settings available:  "Normal zoom speed"  slightly less than 3 secs - "Fast zoom"  slightly less than 2 secs.

Edited by Phil