Mobile phone camera

On 13/12/2023 at 11:39, NYCat said:

Nice idea. Small would not do. It's the small on the phone that drives me crazy. I'm going to have to get up my courage to buy the newest iPhone and with that camera I might take better iPhone photos than I manage now. That could make it appealing to take S......mo seriously.

Paulette

I would never buy a new iPhone for photography, any potential return would be minimal. I use my daughters old iPhones when she obtains a new one on contract. I current use an iPhone 12 that does me. Have also my last iPhone, an iPhone XR, as a backup. Just dumped 2 older iPhones, a 5 and 6, in a pre new year tidy up. Whenever I go out I always cary either a single D750, D500, my RX100 M7 or a backpack/shoulder bag.

Edited by sb photos

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

I would never buy a new iPhone for photography, any potential return would be minimal. I use my daughters old iPhones when she obtains a new one on contract. I current use an iPhone 12 that does me. Have also my last iPhone, an iPhone XR, as a backup. Just dumped 2 older iPhones, a 5 and 6, in a pre new year tidy up. Whenever I go out I always cary either a single D750, D500, my RX100 M7 or a backpack/shoulder bag.

Mine is a 6plus and there are many apps I cannot get now. I see that St....o is indeed being shut down but maybe a future for iPhone pics on Alamy itself??? Who knows but I must move into the present with my phone.

Paulette

3 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

My one photo, submitted over a month ago, was just accepted!

Yes, they are slowly getting through the photos. I had one accepted yesterday too. What doesn't help is that the curator app doesn't download and work on iPhones with the newer versions of iOS unless the phone is jail broken... so they are short of curators as a consequence.

• Like 1

I had a bunch taken over the holidays I was going to upload this week, so glad I read this. Also planning to switch carriers and replace my 4-year-old iPhone 11 (which takes very good pix if you don't want to blow them up too large) so it would be nice to know what's up and good to get a head's up that changes are coming. 

I've gotten to the point where even my Sony A7riv seems heavy some days if I've got a larger lens on it, and so the iPhone is a nice backup, but doesn't really replace carrying a second camera. I was just thinking that it's time to get a small Sony as a backup and even as a main walking around camera if I'm shooting stock and not traveling far from home. 

9 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I've gotten to the point where even my Sony A7riv seems heavy some days if I've got a larger lens on it, and so the iPhone is a nice backup, but doesn't really replace carrying a second camera.

Have you considered something like the Sony FE 35mm Zeiss F2.8 or something of an equivalent size? It's only 120g. It's a very lightweight setup on the A7 bodies - disadvantage is it's just a prime so no zoom.

5 hours ago, Steve F said:

Have you considered something like the Sony FE 35mm Zeiss F2.8 or something of an equivalent size? It's only 120g. It's a very lightweight setup on the A7 bodies - disadvantage is it's just a prime so no zoom.

Sony have some lightweight zooms and I have tried one or two but they are not very good for quality images.

I put them in PX for better kit.

Allan

7 hours ago, Marianne said:

I had a bunch taken over the holidays I was going to upload this week, so glad I read this. Also planning to switch carriers and replace my 4-year-old iPhone 11 (which takes very good pix if you don't want to blow them up too large) so it would be nice to know what's up and good to get a head's up that changes are coming. 

I've gotten to the point where even my Sony A7riv seems heavy some days if I've got a larger lens on it, and so the iPhone is a nice backup, but doesn't really replace carrying a second camera. I was just thinking that it's time to get a small Sony as a backup and even as a main walking around camera if I'm shooting stock and not traveling far from home. 

Marianne, Edo does great with his RX100VII. That might be a good option for you. I use the RX100lll & desire the Vll. Kit got heavy for me over 5 years ago, when I could no longer trek very far carrying my Nikon. I began having to shoot things I could drive to, get out, take the shots with my car nearby. I sold all of my Nikon gear & bought Fuji, so much lighter. My heaviest lens is the 100-400 but I don’t walk around with it.

Indoors in shops, the RX is my workhorse.

2T3RA3A.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Marianne, Edo does great with his RX100VII. That might be a good option for you. I use the RX100lll & desire the Vll. Kit got heavy for me over 5 years ago, when I could no longer trek very far carrying my Nikon. I began having to shoot things I could drive to, get out, take the shots with my car nearby. I sold all of my Nikon gear & bought Fuji, so much lighter. My heaviest lens is the 100-400 but I don’t walk around with it.

2T3RA3A.jpg

I have a Nikon D7000 and a Sony RX100 M3 like Betty. I love using the Nikon.. but use the Sony 75% of the time now simply because it will fit in my pocket where the Nikon won't which makes it more convenient. It's also less conspicuous meaning I can take shots with it which would attract unwanted attention with he bigger Nikon.

• Like 1

Just now, Matt Ashmore said:

I have a Nikon D7000 and a Sony RX100 M3 like Betty. I love using the Nikon.. but use the Sony 75% of the time now simply because it will fit in my pocket where the Nikon won't which makes it more convenient. It's also less conspicuous meaning I can take shots with it which would attract unwanted attention with he bigger Nikon.

Yes, Matt! 😁 I call the RX my stealth camera! I slip around these shops like a spy!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

2T3RA3A.jpg

When I was out visiting my daughter for Christmas, I took my Sony A7riv with the 24-150mm G Master lens when we went to the Columbus Zoo for the winter lights with my grandson. I'd been to the Train Show at the Botanical Gardens here in NY a week before with my niece, great niece, SIL, BIL, etc and since I was still not feeling great only took my iPhone. For the first time, at the zoo, walking around with the lens that I thought would be my travel workhorse, I realized it has now become way too heavy after a couple of hours and I wished I'd just relied on my iPhone, or at least opted for my 35mm or 50mm lens instead. A year ago it was great. 

Like you, I sold all my Nikon equipment in 2018 when I bought the SonyA7rii. I'm thinking I'll sell it if I can get enough for it (probably unlikely), keep my A7riv and get the RX. I'm shooting more fine art and can still manage the heavier Sonys and larger lenses if I'm out in my garden or hiking for an hour or two, but if I'm out for the day, I think I need something lighter. I don't really know anything about the RX cameras, but if I can find good but light travel zoom for one it would be great. Suggestions? Or are they fix lens cameras?

My Olympus OM-1 is still a great little very light camera but not for low light. I used it this summer but I'd really prefer a little larger file than the 16MP it provides. it's perfectly fine for daytime travel stock but i've gotten so used to the Sony's much larger files that I'd like something a bit larger - like 24-32MP - I think that 's the sweet spot. 61MP is huge and requires so much storage space. I love it on a tripod especially for macro and landscapes but I think I'd hike a lot further with a smaller camera. At 65, I'm feeling my age and figure the profits are not worth the pain.

With winter here, I'll probably hold off and switch to shooting indoor subjects with a tripod (I got a geared tripod head this past year and it's really a game changer but I haven't had as much chance to use since I got quite ill right after I bought it). Come spring, I'll look into the RX series. When they have sales they sometimes sweeten the pot by taking as much as $500 off when you sell your older equipment (in addition to what they pay for the equipment). And while cameras always sell at a loss, an RX would be a fine backup, I don't need two A7r's anymore since I'm no longer shooting assignments. I don't regret selling my Nikons and I'm far less attached to the A7rii with it's short battery life and no touch screen. 

When we were in Ikea I was thinking I wish I had a little RX although I still feel intimidated shooting inside shops. Thought about shooting with my iPhone for S but now that they are going away glad I didn't. Running around after a 5-year-old makes it tough anyway, LOL. (And his parent don't share his pix on social media so although he's an adorable subject, not for stock). Great practice taking portraits on the run though. 😎

7 hours ago, Marianne said:

When I was out visiting my daughter for Christmas, I took my Sony A7riv with the 24-150mm G Master lens when we went to the Columbus Zoo for the winter lights with my grandson. I'd been to the Train Show at the Botanical Gardens here in NY a week before with my niece, great niece, SIL, BIL, etc and since I was still not feeling great only took my iPhone. For the first time, at the zoo, walking around with the lens that I thought would be my travel workhorse, I realized it has now become way too heavy after a couple of hours and I wished I'd just relied on my iPhone, or at least opted for my 35mm or 50mm lens instead. A year ago it was great. 

Like you, I sold all my Nikon equipment in 2018 when I bought the SonyA7rii. I'm thinking I'll sell it if I can get enough for it (probably unlikely), keep my A7riv and get the RX. I'm shooting more fine art and can still manage the heavier Sonys and larger lenses if I'm out in my garden or hiking for an hour or two, but if I'm out for the day, I think I need something lighter. I don't really know anything about the RX cameras, but if I can find good but light travel zoom for one it would be great. Suggestions? Or are they fix lens cameras?

My Olympus OM-1 is still a great little very light camera but not for low light. I used it this summer but I'd really prefer a little larger file than the 16MP it provides. it's perfectly fine for daytime travel stock but i've gotten so used to the Sony's much larger files that I'd like something a bit larger - like 24-32MP - I think that 's the sweet spot. 61MP is huge and requires so much storage space. I love it on a tripod especially for macro and landscapes but I think I'd hike a lot further with a smaller camera. At 65, I'm feeling my age and figure the profits are not worth the pain.

With winter here, I'll probably hold off and switch to shooting indoor subjects with a tripod (I got a geared tripod head this past year and it's really a game changer but I haven't had as much chance to use since I got quite ill right after I bought it). Come spring, I'll look into the RX series. When they have sales they sometimes sweeten the pot by taking as much as $500 off when you sell your older equipment (in addition to what they pay for the equipment). And while cameras always sell at a loss, an RX would be a fine backup, I don't need two A7r's anymore since I'm no longer shooting assignments. I don't regret selling my Nikons and I'm far less attached to the A7rii with it's short battery life and no touch screen. 

When we were in Ikea I was thinking I wish I had a little RX although I still feel intimidated shooting inside shops. Thought about shooting with my iPhone for S but now that they are going away glad I didn't. Running around after a 5-year-old makes it tough anyway, LOL. (And his parent don't share his pix on social media so although he's an adorable subject, not for stock). Great practice taking portraits on the run though. 😎

Edo can tell you more about the RX100-7 but I believe it has the longest zoom of all the RXs. (200 zoom?)I know B&H had them when I looked a couple of months ago. Just looked & B&H is out of them. But found one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Premium-Compact-1-0-type-DSCRX100M7/dp/B07VPQV7BY/ref=sr_1_1?hvadid=557387025302&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9024247&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=3240467525915493171&hvtargid=kwd-568123466523&hydadcr=18853_13355412&keywords=sony%2Brx100%2Bvii&qid=1704507797&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5&th=1

Look for them. Best Buy has some locally, check yours.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Thanks 1

I had a couple of images sit in the queue over in "the app" for about a month and they just passed the app QC the other day (after the 1st of January). I haven't seen any other news about the up or down of the app.