August 2023 Favourite Uploads

Steve Hyde

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Betty, Lower Manhattan has been a center for delis and pizzerias for over 100 years. After the Irish settled, the Jews and Italians followed. A lot of people think pizza is Italian, but it's not. It was born in Naples and Naples did not become part of Italy until 1881, over 100 years after America got its independence. When I lived in Rome in the 1960s, there were just 3 pizzerias in the city. Fortunately, the best one was near where I lived in Trastevere. Nowadays, every restaurant, bistro, and wine bar does pizza.

My favorite pizza in Little Italy (NOLITA) was Emporio. Jay Maisel and I had lunch there sometimes before he sold his bank and moved to Brooklyn. I had pizza or pasta. Jay ordered the burger. Hey, they did great burgers. 

I wish my brother was still living in New Jersey. It made it really easy for us to visit New York and Washington. I’d love to go back and check out some of the places that get mentioned on here. We usually went over for Thanksgiving which involved a visit to a local Amish Farmers Market. The food they bought there, for the Thanksgiving meal, was amazing. Pizza wise, this is what I treated my wife to during a visit to Manhatten. From memory that was somewhere near The High Line  😀

a-woman-eating-a-cheap-pizza-slice-bough

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

best pizza i've had was one with a sourdough crust and topped with foraged morels at lovely fifty fifty in portland. i've sold 27 photos of 22 different nyc pizza places in nyc and would not eat at any one of them except maybe two.

14 hours ago, sooth said:

best pizza i've had was one with a sourdough crust and topped with foraged morels at lovely fifty fifty in portland. i've sold 27 photos of 22 different nyc pizza places in nyc and would not eat at any one of them except maybe two.

I’ve walked into a few restaurants & turned right around & walked out. Filthy floors or bad odors you see/smell two feet into the place. One place had carpet with greasy nasty paths worn by the help. Yuk.

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

More than you'll ever need or want to know about pizza.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/09/01/pizza-favorite-styles-chicago/

Interesting. Sorry if I’m veering off the thread, but my favourite has to be thin crust pepperoni with plenty of mozzarella, sun dried tomato’s and generously loaded with green jalapeño chilli. I think I must be addicted to chilli because, amongst other things, I like lots of hot chilli sauce with spag’ bol’ and jalapeño’s in cheese or ham sandwiches.

Pepperoni is one of the most popular toppings. It's tasty, but I don't eat processed meat anymore. Jalapenos I get on my 5 Guys cheeseburger and I use them in guacamole. They are not predictable as to how hot they are. I used to enjoy eating out in London, Dave.

Edited by Ed Rooney

On 01/09/2023 at 20:34, NYCat said:

I have one of those dollar a slice pizza places around the corner. It is REALLY good and that always surprises me.

Paulette

You used to have several famous pizzerias on your street, Paulette. Kesté was a good one. Kesté is Neapolitan slang meaning, "This is it!"

That was the situation here too, and probably everywhere, Paulette. I took a virtual walk around Little Italy on Google Maps this morning. Alleva, the Italian deli on my corner is gone. It had been there for over 100 years. Almost all the real Italian places are gone. What's left is a tacky tourist horror show. I wonder if there are any Italians in Little Italy anymore. 

21 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

That was the situation here too, and probably everywhere, Paulette. I took a virtual walk around Little Italy on Google Maps this morning. Alleva, the Italian deli on my corner is gone. It had been there for over 100 years. Almost all the real Italian places are gone. What's left is a tacky tourist horror show. I wonder if there are any Italians in Little Italy anymore. 

Puglia's and Ferraro's gone?   I also remember another place on Elizabeth, and then John Bellotos's (spelling?) was on Houston near Mott, northern Italian.  Way back in the 70s.  I left in 1975.   Here in Jinotega, we have a Florentine family that runs Libertalia, named after an anarchist pirate community.  Good pizza and other real Italian dishes, but I think they're about the only Italians here.  Tourism tends to overwhelm places, and some of the change may be more Chinese who were coming in.  My north of Houston Mott street block went from mostly black and Hispanic to white and Chinese after I left. 

I didn't know you lived in my old hood, Rebecca. 🙂

I never liked Pulia. It's FarrarA . . . and I'm sure they are still there. I tend to get carried away when I'm bitching. Sorry. 

I lived above Angelo's. My regular go-to place was Il Fornaio. JFK Jr. used to eat there and I had the great pleasure of meeting Danial Day Lewis there after he finished Lincoln. He spoke better Italian than I do.  He was having a late lunch with an Italian shoemaker he had worked with in Italy. 

20 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I didn't know you lived in my old hood, Rebecca. 🙂

I never liked Pulia. It's FarrarA . . . and I'm sure they are still there. I tend to get carried away when I'm bitching. Sorry. 

I lived above Angelo's. My regular go-to place was Il Fornaio. JFK Jr. used to eat there and I had the great pleasure of meeting Danial Day Lewis there after he finished Lincoln. He spoke better Italian than I do.  He was having a late lunch with an Italian shoemaker he had worked with in Italy. 

North of it, Mott Street above Houston, with a view out my windows of the Puck Building.  John Bellato's is now Emelio Bellato's on a map I found, so a son or grandson has it now.  Pulia was a bit weird -- I liked their escarole soup and the half a sheep's head.  Farrara's was the dessert place.   The map showed a number of things that weren't Italian, though.  Was interesting to live there and be walking distance of Italian and Chinese restaurants and shops, and a whole range of other things.  I was a poet then, read a couple of times at the Poetry Project at St. Mark's, saw Patti Smith live a number of times.   Now NYC is insanely expensive.   One friend now lives in Denver, one in St. Louis.

On 30/08/2023 at 19:13, Mr Standfast said:

Have you tried Apple and Plum??? Magic....just magic!

James, we need to meet up. I picked these from a Damson tree today and then someone had a box full of ‘help yourself’ apples outside their house on the walk back. I’ll turn them into Damson and Apple Jam tomorrow. I’ll let you have a few jars if we can sort something out 😋

Damsons

• Love 2

• 2 weeks later...