February 2023 Favourite Uploads

Michael Ventura

• Michael Ventura changed the title to February 2023 Favourite Uploads

I'll split my favourite uploads by categories.

This is Kewarra Beach in Far North Queensland. Tropical cyclone Gabrielle is lurking somewhere over the Coral Sea. It has since moved to New Zealand with terrible consequences. What devastation! And I was worried about the sail over the swimming pool... State of emergency has now been declared there, only for the third time ever.

2NBK01D.jpg

2NBK2JY.jpg

2NBK192.jpg

Edited by gvallee
Grammar girl, grammar.
  • Love 2

A St Andrew's Cross Spider (Argiope keyserlingi) with cicada prey in its web

2NBK3H2.jpg

Two cane toads (Bufo Marinus) in amplexus with a string of spawn.

Cane toads were introduced in Australia to combat destructive beetles in sugar cane crops. They have poison glands and the tadpoles are highly toxic to animals if ingested. Their toxic skin kills many animals. 

These images were taken in the gutter of the infinity pool of our housesit. One of the dogs regularly go and cool down in there. I need to keep a sharp eye at all times.

2NBK82Y.jpg

2NBK544.jpg

• Love 2

A St Andrew's Cross Spider (Argiope keyserlingi) with cicada prey in its web

2NBK3H2.jpg

Two cane toads (Bufo Marinus) in amplexus with a string of spawn.

Cane toads were introduced in Australia to combat destructive beetles in sugar cane crops. They have poison glands and the tadpoles are highly toxic to animals if ingested. Their toxic skin kills many animals. 

These images were taken in the gutter of the infinity pool of our housesit. One of the dogs regularly go and cool down in there. I need to keep a sharp eye at all times.

2NBK82Y.jpg

2NBK544.jpg

• Love 1

A few from me.

Low sun through trees, Bembridge Coast Isle of Wight 

low-sun-through-trees-bembridge-coast-isle-of-wight-2N96FTB.jpg

Bembridge Lifeboat station Isle of Wightbembridge-lifeboat-station-isle-of-wight

Silhouette of Seahorse tree sculpture Bembridge Isle of Wight

silhouette-of-seahorse-tree-sculpture-be

Work progressing on new transport hub on Ryde Esplanade Isle of Wight

work-progressing-on-new-transport-hub-on

Two Wightlink crew members discussing problem with lifeboat launch crane Saint Faith ferry Fishbourne Isle of Wight

two-wightlink-crew-members-discussing-pr

Sail boat on the Solent

sail-boat-on-the-solent-2023-2N45WNR.jpg

View along Church road Old Shanklin Town Shanklin Isle of Wight

view-along-church-road-old-shanklin-town

Wightlink vehicle ferry St Faith leaving dock, Portsmouth harbour

wightlink-vehicle-ferry-st-faith-leaving

High street Shanklin looking North Shanklin Isle of Wight 

high-street-shanklin-looking-north-shank

View along Ryde railway station platform to the East, Ryde Isle of Wight

view-along-ryde-railway-station-platform

The Codfather fish and chip shop George street Ryde Isle of Wight 

the-codfather-fish-and-chip-shop-george-

Island Flyer hover craft engaging docking ramp at Ryde Isle of Wight 

island-flyer-hover-craft-engaging-dockin

Allan

• Love 6
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

I’ve enjoyed seeing your photos, Allan. I know little to nothing about the Isle of Wight and was surprised to see train tracks. The led me to look up the history of the trains. Looks like an interesting place to visit.

Thank you Cecile.  Yes it is a great place.

The railway line in my photos is to take travellers from Ryde in the North to the south coast resorts. It is an electric line and uses old London underground railway stock.

There is also a preserved steam railway line which has a junction with the electric line to exchange passengers.

Allan

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you Cecile.  Yes it is a great place.

The railway line in my photos is to take travellers from Ryde in the North to the south coast resorts. It is an electric line and uses old London underground railway stock.

There is also a preserved steam railway line which has a junction with the electric line to exchange passengers.

Allan

Interesting seeing some recent photos from the Isle of White. Last time I was there would have been as a youngster on holiday with my parents back in the 1950's, staying at Freshwater Bay and later Niton. Any of my photos from those days would have been shot on 127, then later 620 roll film. I would have developed myself in a Johnson tank and printed with an Ensign enlarger.

Edited by sb photos

6 hours ago, sb photos said:

Interesting seeing some recent photos from the Isle of White. Last time I was there would have been as a youngster on holiday with my parents back in the 1950's, staying at Freshwater Bay and later Niton. Any of my photos from those days would have been shot on 127, then later 620 roll film. I would have developed myself in a Johnson tank and printed with an Ensign enlarger.

Hi Steve, I do have more images from my visits to the Isle in my portfolio on Alamy from earlier this century. The earliest is 2008. There are 324 images so I have not covered everything there is to photograph.

Allan

Although I only have a house on wheels, I consider my beloved Cairns as my home town. We lived here for a year and a half and are considering buying bricks and mortar here in the future. Maybe. Who knows.

Cairns Esplanade Lagoon, taken at Christmas

2NE1WPJ.jpg

2NE1Y2K.jpg

2NE1P2D.jpg

2NE1J01.jpg

View of Cairns seen from the Reef Eye, the popular Ferris wheel

2NE21JP.jpg

2NE273A.jpg

• Love 2

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Although I only have a house on wheels, I consider my beloved Cairns as my home town. We lived here for a year and a half and are considering buying bricks and mortar here in the future. Maybe. Who knows.

Would it not be best to ensure permanent residency before buying into bricks and mortar?

Allan

13 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Would it not be best to ensure permanent residency before buying into bricks and mortar?

Allan

We're fighting tooth and claw for it. We have a new visa for 4 years. Property prices are going through the roof. We'll be priced out of the market if we don't buy soon. We could always sell in 4 years' time. Having said that, travel is a powerful magnet I haven't weaned off it yet. So who knows, anything can happen.

Edited by gvallee

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

We're fighting tooth and claw for it. We have a new visa for 4 years. Property prices are going through the roof. We'll be priced out of the market if we don't buy soon. We could always sell in 4 years' time. Having said that, travel is a powerful magnet I haven't weaned off it yet. So who knows, anything can happen.

Some countries consider owning a house outright to be a plus when applying for permanent residency.

Ask immigration how being home owners would be seen in Australia.   If it would be a plus, more reason to go for it.   If not, perhaps not, though I suspect houses there are far more liquid than houses here, where selling can take years.

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

I agree with Rebecca in your case. If you can afford a house, and still have money for travelling, then buy one. You can rent it out while on the road to give some income and, if you do not manage to get permanent residency, you can sell it on for a profit in four years time.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I agree with Rebecca in your case. If you can afford a house, and still have money for travelling, then buy one. You can rent it out while on the road to give some income and, if you do not manage to get permanent residency, you can sell it on for a profit in four years time.

Allan

Nope. Our particular visa would not allow it. Plus there are other complications I won't bore you with.

1 hour ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Some countries consider owning a house outright to be a plus when applying for permanent residency.

Ask immigration how being home owners would be seen in Australia.   If it would be a plus, more reason to go for it.   If not, perhaps not, though I suspect houses there are far more liquid than houses here, where selling can take years.

The housing market is on fire here. Sellers don't even mention an asking price any more in most cases. You have to come up with an offer. It's most irritating as there will be several competitive offers and you have no idea of the level.

And let's not mention the renting market. There was a story in the newspapers yesterday that a potential landlord had sealed up a balcony with tarpaulins and wanted #300 a week for a bed in there. Apparently, he received 'a lot of interest'...

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

Cairns Esplanade Lagoon, taken at Christmas

2NE1WPJ.jpg

2NE1Y2K.jpg

2NE1P2D.jpg

2NE1J01.jpg

View of Cairns seen from the Reef Eye, the popular Ferris wheel

2NE21JP.jpg

2NE273A.jpg

looks idyllic!....from a miserable rainy Uk!