February 2023 Favourite Uploads

Michael Ventura

On 23/02/2023 at 01:29, Ed Rooney said:

That's the second cat I've seen on a lead in Liverpool. Hmm.

Cats on leashes are now a fairly common sight in Vancouver. They seem to take to it quite well. Personally, I welcome the trend. I like cats, but the fact of the matter is that they are serial murderers. It's awful what they do to birds. However, it's not really the cats' fault. Hanging out with Homo sapiens for so long has screwed up their hunting instincts. They kill things just for the heck of it, not out of necessity. Hate to say it, but we're not good examples.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I was once photographing the terrace of a restaurant on the seafront. I noticed a female customer holding her napkin in front of her face when she spotted me. Perhaps she was not supposed to be there? Was her companion her lover? I took several shots and she did it every single time. I pretended not to notice and walked away.

I'm no longer comfortable taking candid shots of people. Good thing I'm not a news photographer. In fact, if I see someone pointing a camera or phone in my direction, I now look the other way. You never know where images and videos will end up these days. Social media have completely changed street photography IMO.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

These images are by no means a wow! Yet, they show a very important, heritage-listed location in Australian history: the most northerly camp of Burke and Wills, the famous explorers. For those unfamiliar with the details of the expedition and interested, here is the fascinating story.

Burke and Wills had been tasked to cross Australia from south to north. They left Melbourne on 11th February 1861. They were under intense pressure to beat competition. A camp was established at Cooper Creek.

Another camp further north was set up by Little Bynoe River (in my pictures). Two of the party, Gray and King stayed in the camp with B&W pushing north in an attempt to reach the Gulf coast.

B&W were defeated by mangrove along the coast and returned to the Little Bynoe River camp. They picked up Gray and King, and with severely depleted supplies and failing camels, continued to the Cooper’s Creek camp, 57 days away. Gray became very ill and died.

Meanwhile, the team at Cooper’s Creek gave up hope after four months of waiting and in the most extraordinary twist of fate in history, they left the camp just a few hours before B&W arrived. Messages and food had been buried at the foot of a tree with the letters DIG carved on the tree but B&W failed to find them.

The 3 men then attempted to reach Mt Hopeless. Their health was seriously failing, a camel became bogged and the other had to be shot. Unable to carry water, the men could travel no further. Malnourished and exhausted, they turned back towards the Cooper’s Creek camp. Within a month, both Burke and Wills perished. King was found and cared for by local Aboriginal people. He survived but died 11 years later at the age of 33, never having regained his health.

2NKNR6T.jpg

2NKNR8R.jpg

During the occupation of the most northerly campsite by the Bynoe River, the party blazed 15 trees to mark its location. These are called blazed trees or signature trees. They represent the explorers’ signature.

2NKNRE1.jpg

2NKNRFP.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Portrait of Manuel Pamkal, a Dalabon Aboriginal artist from the Top End, Northern Territory, Australia

2NMTR4P.jpg

Decorated old steam engine at Barunga, a small Aboriginal community in the Top End, Northern Territory, Australia

2NMTRYR.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1
  • Like 1