January 2023 Favourite Uploads

Alan Beastall

This years December 2022 Dave Wilcox Memorial Trials for Pre War Austin 7 vintage cars. Alamy Live News.

Best Photograph of the day. The Guardian's picture editors photo highlights from around the world.

2M5H8ED.jpg

2M5H8P6.jpg

Even Santa turned up.

2M5H89J.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Alan Beastall said:

A typical English winter afternoon, wet, cold, muddy and raining.

2M7956M.jpg

2M79575.jpg

2M795AA.jpg

I wouldn’t enjoy being the person to have to clean the shower stalls after this crew finished with them. 😁 Great action shots!

• Love 1

I am appalled with myself! After a two month hiatus due to my laptop breaking down, I have to re-learn my workflow! I am so slow at editing!!! Must be getting Alzheimer.

Anyway, after a couple of coffees, I managed to upload these images taken last month. We had come for 3 days but camped 3 weeks at this dream beach. That's the beauty of nomadic life without any deadlines. We like a place, we stay. I used to live about 10km away from it, so had never camped there. Wonderful sunrises almost every day. 

2M9CBMX.jpg+

2M9CBW4.jpg

2M9CBX0.jpg

2M9CC0N.jpg

2M9CC1G.jpg

• Love 6
  • Like 2

A very remote old Australian Outback pub which can only be reached via red dirt roads. 

2M9NYXJ.jpg

Jillaroos and Jackaroos from the nearby cattle station

2M9NYPA.jpg

2M9P05G.jpg

2M9NYHC.jpg

2M9P00W.jpg

2M9P0EH.jpg

A Ned Kelly letterbox

2M9P15H.jpg

• Love 4
  • Like 1

Your facilities with pictures for signs reminds me of something I heard took place at "Cowboy" restaurant in Greenwich Village. A woman was heard asking her friend "Am I a Heifer?"

Paulette

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Your facilities with pictures for signs reminds me of something I heard took place at "Cowboy" restaurant in Greenwich Village. A woman was heard asking her friend "Am I a Heifer?"

Paulette

I've been called a 'filly' in a cattle station 😀

• Love 2

A few from me.

Mad pumpkin man behind bars

mad-pumpkin-man-behind-bars-cherry-willingham-lincoln-2022-2M74RP6.jpg

statue of Young Red Deer Stag

statue-of-young-red-deer-stag-in-cherry-fields-cherry-willingham-lincolnshire-2022-2M74RY6.jpg

Flames with arms head and face from top of bonfire

flames-with-arms-head-and-face-from-top-of-bonfire-2022-2M77GT7.jpg

Three young Mute swans on River Witham in evening light

three-young-mute-swans-on-river-witham-in-evening-light-cherry-willingham-lincolnshire-2022-2M77H30.jpg

H&M clothing and homewear store Waterside shopping centre, Lincoln city

hm-clothing-and-homewear-store-waterside-shopping-centre-lincoln-city-2022-2M7ME2K.jpg

Three stained glass windows commemorating three Subdeans of Lincoln Catherdal Lincoln city

three-stained-glass-windows-commemorating-three-subdeans-of-lincoln-catherdal-lincoln-city-2022-2M7MEA3.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

The Gulflander is a 1950 railmotor running between Normanton and Croydon, North Queensland, Australia

It is  a popular tourist attraction and lovely ride through savannah.

2MA1TFE.jpg

2MA1TFJ.jpg

2MA1TX1.jpg

2MA1W1T.jpg

2MA1W1B.jpg

• Love 2

5 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I love trains. That one looks great.

Paulette

Yes, it was a nice little ride through savannah and wetlands. We saw kangaroos and even crocodiles.

Processing a few of my older insect photos, plus a few from last years dive trip to Bali. Chose to process these insects, as it has taken me months to identify what they are.

Those "balls" are insects - Wattle Tick Scale Insects, and the females produce honeydew, which is harvested by ants.

wattle-tick-scale-insects-cryptes-baccat

This is the tiny larvae of a Tortoise Beetle, and I finally got an ID via a video from the Queensland Museum which was absolutely fascinating.

mottled-tortoise-beetle-larvae-either-de

A Blind Shrimp cleaning out the burrow that it shares with a Shrimpgoby. The shrimp keeps an antennae touching the fish, which signals danger. And big bubble belching divers sticking a massive camera a few inches away is something they rarely like. 

steinitz-shrimpgoby-amblyeleotris-steini

Clownfish with eggs are always good sellers. The males do the tending and need to do a very good job, or the female will banish him from the anemone, and allow and there younger male to mate with her. An interesting fact about Clownfish is that they change their sex. If the females dies, the dominant male will change into a female. I was really lucky to get the male actually blowing water over the eggs to aerate them, if you look closely you can see the water swirling over the eggs just below the fish's mouth.

clown-anemonefish-amphiprion-ocellaris-t

• Love 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cbimages said:

Processing a few of my older insect photos, plus a few from last years dive trip to Bali. Chose to process these insects, as it has taken me months to identify what they are.

Those "balls" are insects - Wattle Tick Scale Insects, and the females produce honeydew, which is harvested by ants.

wattle-tick-scale-insects-cryptes-baccat

This is the tiny larvae of a Tortoise Beetle, and I finally got an ID via a video from the Queensland Museum which was absolutely fascinating.

mottled-tortoise-beetle-larvae-either-de

A Blind Shrimp cleaning out the burrow that it shares with a Shrimpgoby. The shrimp keeps an antennae touching the fish, which signals danger. And big bubble belching divers sticking a massive camera a few inches away is something they rarely like. 

steinitz-shrimpgoby-amblyeleotris-steini

Clownfish with eggs are always good sellers. The males do the tending and need to do a very good job, or the female will banish him from the anemone, and allow and there younger male to mate with her. An interesting fact about Clownfish is that they change their sex. If the females dies, the dominant male will change into a female. I was really lucky to get the male actually blowing water over the eggs to aerate them, if you look closely you can see the water swirling over the eggs just below the fish's mouth.

clown-anemonefish-amphiprion-ocellaris-t

Great photos and info as always Carol !

• Thanks 1

What a fascinating world we live in. I've been re-reading "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" by Annie Dillard. It is a lot about looking, looking, looking at nature. I can only read small amounts at a time because there is a density to the way she describes the world.

Paulette

• Love 1

Just a few more.

Cosy Club sign over doorway at night

cosy-club-sign-over-doorway-at-night-lincoln-2022-2M7MDWK.jpg

Pho Vietnamese street food restaurent sign

pho-viet-amese-street-food-restaurent-si

Everman neon cinema sign at night

everman-neon-cinema-sign-at-night-lincol

Allan

• Love 2

On 18/01/2023 at 18:03, NYCat said:

Paulette

Obviously, being from cowboy & ranching country, I expect she went to use the restroom & the Ladies room had a “Heifer” sign on it. The men’s might have said “Bull” or “Steer.”

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Obviously, being from cowboy & ranching country, I expect she went to use the restroom & the Ladies room had a “Heifer” sign on it. The men’s might have said “Bull” or “Steer.”

I have a couple of funnies on Alany. Potential sales uncertain.

2FNFCYF.jpg

KAP37P.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

I have a couple of funnies on Alany. Potential sales uncertain.

2FNFCYF.jpg

KAP37P.jpg

People do come up with those funnies! There have been times I had to look at both door signs to figure out which one I belonged in. Once I got it wrong, but before I got in I spotted a urinal & turned around mighty fast. Kinda made me mad. I know the ones marked “Fillies” are for me.

Happy New Year to all Asian contributors!

It is The Year of the Rabbit, a positive sign. I'm trying to decide if I should walk that cold uphill rather long walk to the Liverpool Chinese Arch, the largest outside of China. In NYC, I lived just a few minutes from Chinatown but was never able to get close enough to capture anything worthwhile, like the Lion Dance.

2GH7X37.jpg

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 3