Very confused of Essex - small cameras.

Hi all

I have spent all day browsing the web looking at cameras, it seems that there are some cameras that will be suitable for making images for Alamy that are smaller than my full frame Canons.

This is a bit of a shock for me ,I started on 10" x 8" and 5"x4 cameras with 6cm x6cm for rush stuff. When I "went digital" it was the 1Ds that chose, I was amazed at how small it was!!!

Now it seems that things have moved on, hence my browsing today .I was looking for a camera costing about £400 new or used (where do people buy used cameras from these days in the UK) the camera would be used (  Ithought) for web images and family snaps. My browsing suggests that I may actually get something that would also be OK for alamy images.

I have read so many reviews that I an baffled:-(

I would like great image quality, stabalisation, in a small package. Not pocket small but something that would fit and a large coat pocket.My daughter has a Canon 400d and I would like something smaller than that. Is my budget too small?

It struck me that this would be the best place to ask for advice.

I have read the "transitions thread and I am working my way through the cameras mentioned there next............ back to the browser

ATB

Mark

I faced similar dilemma as I was finding my Canon 1Ds3 outfit too heavy for everyday purposes. Like you I searched the options and went for the Fuji X-E1 because of its fast lenses, excellent lenses and its high ISO performance. Slight;y disappointed by the AF speed for moving subjects (my AF expectations perhaps too high having used top-end Canon for sport) although new Fujis are apparently better.

I think it will be a bit expensive for your budget but you might find s/h X-E1 discounted  because it has been replaced by X-E2. Or you could buy an X-Pro1 and sell on the "free" second lens and get closer to your budget. I find the images the Fuji produces seem to have something special about them.

The Fuji has reinvigorated my photography. It goes pretty well everywhere with me.

I am using both a Fuji X-Pro1 and a Fuji X100S everyday (still use 5D MK III bodies for studio or reportage). I am looking forward to the Fuji X-Pro 2 scheduled to be announced late January/early February.

I am also seriously considering a Leica M240 but for the price, the Fuji's really perform well despite some small quirks.

.....I was looking for a camera costing about £400 new or used (where do people buy used cameras from these days in the UK) the camera would be used (  Ithought) for web images and family snaps. .....

ATB

Mark

Mark,

For used cameras / photographic kit my normal haunts are:

- MPB Photographic - fair prices, excellent service and a nice guy. I have both bought and sold with them. Has more 4/3 cameras now - was just Canon/Nikon SLR/DSLR

- Mifsuds

- Fixation (more heavily used ex-pro gear)

- Aperture photographic (tends to be mainly Nikon and Canon but good prices)

then it is eBay, and private sellers on forums.

HTH

Agree with Mike above, MPB Photographic are very good. I have bought 2 x used camera bodies here in the last year.

Always a very accurate description of the camera.

Well packed & priced etc

If you have been using Canon, why not snag an EOS-M mirrorless compact, and try to make sure it comes with an EOS adaptor? They are heavily discounted as they didn't really make any impact on the market, but actually a good camera, and with the adaptor you can share larger lenses as and when needed.

Mark,

I can recommend Ffordes for second hand (or new!) camera sales.  I have had excellent service from them in the past both for buying and for commission sales.  If you like David's idea of an EOS-M, they currently have a couple of these with 22mm lens on sale for £349, so would meet your budget.

Only snag is you probably would have to buy without trying it as they are located beyond Inverness, so some way from Essex,

Another +1 for the Fuji. I've both the X-pro1 & the X-E1 with most of their lenses. I used to have the Canon 5dmkii but these cameras offer near on identical IQ, better at higher ISO. Most importantly, their lenses are fantastic. I held on to the 5d and 100-400L until the last minute but once I had the 55-200, I knew I had sufficient quality with that lens to finally let the Canon + lenses go.

I used to have a Nex 7 for a while, about 1yr. Another good system and worth looking at but for me, I preferred the Fuji lenses. Fuji raw files seem to take a lot more processing (highlights and shadows) that the Sony files before adding noise to the image.

There is a lot of choice these days in this category, a bit of hands on time with some of these cameras would be good. I like the X-Pro1 for it's slightly bigger build and comfort in the hand when compared to the X-E1, more of a personal thing. Both have the same IQ, same sensor.

I would agree with David on the Canon EOS-M. This goes with me everywhere and is handy when I don't need to cart around my 5D. I purchased mine from WEX photographic about 6 months ago and at the time it had a £50 cash back with it. Unfortunately stocks of the lens adaptor that they were giving away with it at the time had run out when I purchased. Mine came with an 18-55 mm IS lens. Does the job for me.

Jim.

Another vote for the Fuji X-E1 from me.  I still use my Canon 5Diii for serious stuff especially around the house but am increasingly using the Fuji for travel.  I intend to update to the X-E2 as soon as there is RAW support for it and invest in some more lenses.  

I also have the Olympus E-M5 which I like (because it is weatherproof so good for skiing etc) but not as much as I like the Fuji.  There is just something about the Fuji files.

Pearl

Hi all

Thank you for tyour comments and recommendations. At the moment I have two short lists,

1) Those that I would like but would have to find used and/or savefor  a bit longer.
Fuji X-Pro1
Fuji X-E1/2

2) Cameras that I can afford to buy new,
Sony RX100
Panasonic Lumix GF6
EOS-M
Olympus PEN E-PM2

I am now thinking that the Sony RX100 for a very portable camera and in the long term the Fuji or Olympus 4/3 systems look very tempting for out of the studio, backed up with a phase one system for the studio...  lottery win allowing :-)

I have been reading a lot on the web that the Fuji and Olympus 4/3 systems can match Full Frame cameras for image quality which I find very difficult to believe.

ATB

Mark

I have the RX100 as a pocket camera for when I'm wandering around. They are really good but don't really touch IQ of my X-E1 and X-Pro1.

I can't speak for Olympus but the Fuji files are very much like the Canon 5dmkii files and as such, I haven't missed that camera at all. I don't have it but I would imagine they will not match / beat the 5dmkiii.

I've printed the Fuji files up to 20x30inch and they are spot on. I have also printed a 3 file stitch pano up to 37.5 inches long and 17 high and the detail is very crisp even when viewing close up. 

Modern FF cameras will still have the edge over the X system, but do we need that edge?!? I prefer the smaller lenses at reasonable prices with exceptional quality. I'm finding it hard to think when I would ever need to return to FF, if ever.

Hi Duncan

> I have the RX100 as a pocket camera for when I'm wandering around. They are really good but don't really touch IQ of my X-E1 and X-Pro1.

Interesting,it is the wandering around that I want a camera for, it seems that you find the Sony more convenient than your Fujis orpresumably you would wander with those?

The IQ is an issue but so is the cost Sony is £400 the X-E1 is averaging £700, so cost and convience go to the Sony.

> I've printed the Fuji files up to 20x30inch and they are spot on.

Very impressive.

> Modern FF cameras will still have the edge over the X system, but do we need that edge?!?

If I were starting from scratch it would be a difficult choice, but I have the Full frame Canons with a lens kit which includes tilt and shift lenses.

I do like the big viewfinder with the Full frame Canons, I also like the handling when shooting models I am not sure how well the mirrorless kit would cope there.

The more that I think about it the Sony is looking ideal at the moment for Alamy submissions and walkabout where the Canons would be too heavy.

But

The Fuji could be the start of a whole new smaller complete system when I do not need tilt/shift.

Interesting post TVM

Mark

Hi Duncan

> I have the RX100 as a pocket camera for when I'm wandering around. They are really good but don't really touch IQ of my X-E1 and X-Pro1.

Interesting,it is the wandering around that I want a camera for, it seems that you find the Sony more convenient than your Fujis orpresumably you would wander with those?

The IO is an issue but so is the cost Sony is £400 the X-E1 is averaging £700, so cost and convience go to the Sony.

> I've printed the Fuji files up to 20x30inch and they are spot on.

Very impressive.

> Modern FF cameras will still have the edge over the X system, but do we need that edge?!?

If I were starting from scratch it would be a difficult choice, but I have the Full frame Canons with a lens kit which includes tilt and shift lenses.

I do like the big viewfinder with the Full frame Canons, I also like the handling when shooting models I am not sure how well the mirrorless kit would cope there.

The more that I think about it the Sony is looking ideal at the moment for Alamy submissions and walkabout where the Canons would be too heavy.

But

The Fuji could be the start of a whole new smaller complete system when I do not need tilt/shift.

Interesting post TVM

Mark

The good thing about the Sony RX100 is it is so handy to have around, doesn't draw any attention at all. I also like to hand it to the better half when we are away on trips as it means the shots she takes can also be considered when submitting to Alamy etc.

Check out Zack Arias. Funnily enough, he also uses the Phase One MF cameras but sold all DSLR gear to use Fuji as his everyday system. He does a lot of model work so it would be worth checking out. He loves the X100s for the very high flash sync speeds you can get with those cameras. Oh

Oh, and if you start looking for an X-E1/2. check out ebay. Some retailers in the UK sell split kit packs (camera body on it's own) at a really good price. I got my X-E1 for £495.

But back to the RX 100. Still makes me laugh how they can produce great quality images from such a small package... it has to be a must for anyones kit bag to be honest!! 

As well as the Fuji and Olympus I mentioned earlier I also have the Sony RX100 but I haven't used it a great deal.  I have to admit that it is impressive for its size but I only carry it when it really isn't worth carrying anything else.  In good light the IQ is very good but I find it gets dodgy in less than perfect conditions.  I also don't like the lack of viewfinder.  Great for in my handbag for those unexpected moments but I wouldn't use it seriously if there was an alternative.  The Fuji really is worth the extra money IMO.

Pearl

As well as the Fuji and Olympus I mentioned earlier I also have the Sony RX100 but I haven't used it a great deal.  I have to admit that it is impressive for its size but I only carry it when it really isn't worth carrying anything else.  In good light the IQ is very good but I find it gets dodgy in less than perfect conditions.  I also don't like the lack of viewfinder.  Great for in my handbag for those unexpected moments but I wouldn't use it seriously if there was an alternative.  The Fuji really is worth the extra money IMO.

Pearl

That's pretty much how I find it. It's a great supplemental camera that can easily be carried for those "Just in Case" moments. I only use it in good light. The Fuji's are excellent up to 3200 and even 6400 at a push..... depending on what you are doing.

Thanks again guys and lady

I have just discovered that a friend has the Sony and he has emailed me a couple of images. It seems great fo ra family camera but I would not

want to use it professionaly.

Which means a rethink, the EOS M looks interesting but I am beginning to change the plan,ie start to build a light weight system that will eventually

replace my Canons. There seems to be two systems that would be good for that, the Fuji X and the Olympus omd 1, both seem to be good systems

but reading some blogs ie Zack Arias.,the fuji system is looking good.

So I will have to rethink my budget (or look for a great deal on a used camera) anyone got an fuji ex 1 with a lens that they want to sell :-)

Mark
slightly less confused now

Thanks again guys and lady

I have just discovered that a friend has the Sony and he has emailed me a couple of images. It seems great fora family camera but I would not

want to use it professionaly.

Which means a rethink, the EOS M looks interesting but Iam beginning to change the plan,ie start to build a light weight system that will eventually

replace my Canons. There seems to be two systems that wouldbe good for that, the Fuji X and the Olympus omd 1, both seemto be good systems

but reding somblogs ie Zack Arias.,the fuji system is looking good.

So I will have to rethink my budget (or look for a great deal on a used camera) any one got an fuji ex 1 with a lens that they want to sell :-)

Mark

slightly less confused now

X-E1 for £420 new on ebay or £769 for the E2  :-)

You could probably get the E1 and 18-55 for about £750

Well if anyone's in for it I have a very complete OM-d E-M5 kit going for sale - with 12-50mm (proper 24-100mm range and well corrected), 45mm f/1.8 portrait, 15mm f/8 snapshot 'cap' lens (useless, but came with the kit), vertical grip and extra battery for it, and a new Sigma 60mm f/2.8 which is awesome. Mucking around with Sony A7R is forcing me to sell some other stuff as it is proving very expensive to feed.

Be careful. There are lots of things that the Fuji X- cameras cannot shoot. At all. For some things, they are total rubbish.

http://photosfujiscanttake.tumblr.com

http://www.oscarsson.dk/blog/?p=1205

Be warned...

*whistles nonchalantly*

Brilliant link,thank you:-)

Hi David

Well if anyone's in for it I have a very complete OM-d E-M5 kit going for sale - with 12-50mm (proper 24-100mm range and well corrected), 45mm f/1.8 portrait, 15mm f/8 snapshot 'cap' lens (useless, but came with the kit), vertical grip and extra battery for it, and a new Sigma 60mm f/2.8 which is awesome. Mucking around with Sony A7R is forcing me to sell some other stuff as it is proving very expensive to feed.

All for my budget,that is a very kind offer :-)

Archived