Very confused of Essex - small cameras.

Hi David, sorry a poor attempt at humour on my part.

That sounds very tempting, and might be doable in the new year. If you still have it then.

I need to sell a 400d that I brought for my daughter who needed it for a course...... and then changed her mind (for good reason).

ATB

Mark

Hi Mark

>It's on a fixed price listing.

Ebay non user here, so I have no idea what that means. I assumed that if something does not sell or does not reach the required price that it would still be available?

ATB

Mark

If you have been using Canon, why not snag an EOS-M mirrorless compact, and try to make sure it comes with an EOS adaptor? They are heavily discounted as they didn't really make any impact on the market, but actually a good camera, and with the adaptor you can share larger lenses as and when needed.

Jessops have these at £299 inc zoom lens, flash and lens adaptor and with free delivery....

OK,last post just as an update.

All the useful advice here prompted a lot of thinking so...

I have just picked up a Sony Nex5n via a private sale for £199, that is the immediate need solved.

I am now considering a change from Canon to Fuji or Olympus in the future,after I have tried them out.

ATB

Mark

I take issue a bit with "RX100 being dodgy in bad light".  I have at least 20 images taken with it accepted by Alamy, (bunches more in good  outdoor lighting) that all were indoors with "dodgy" light.  Inside a shopping mall images, but most notably, images taken in an exam room (eye exam) with the lights dimmed. Also in a different exam room.  I would have more, just haven't had the opportunity to shoot those kind of images recently.

I set the camera to shoot RAW, and set one of the intelligent auto settings.  I had ISO set to go up to 800.  There was some noise in some of them, but it is a grain much like shooting 400 film. One of the most pleasant noises I have encountered if you must have it. It was easily corrected in LR.  I will say this, not every image would pass Alamy QC, but not every image I've shot with my Nikons were suitable for Alamy.  I'd say about 60% of the exam room shots were used, but a lot of the rejects were because they were so crooked I didn't have enough image left after straightening, LOL!  The price of shooting sneaky with the camera in my lap. There's where an adjustable LCD would help Like the MK2 has.

I've taken nice images inside restaurants, where lighting was subdued.  The flash on my RX100 is rusting away (pun) because I never use it.

Congrats, Mark, on finding a great bargain.

Here are a couple from a shoot the other night... on a moving car taken with the X-E1 and 14mm radio control. Both using auto focus.

Which ever camera you go for they will have strengths and weaknesses, it's how we overcome these that matter. I shoot a lot of images in low light with both X Pro1 and X-E1 you adapt to.

As David says though, take a look at the M4/3 as well. Find the one that ticks the most boxes and run with it :-)

I0000uwjMMOVIRd8.jpg

I0000t3CsLmFEmI0.jpg

Mark,

Can’t say much about small cameras, looks like I don't agree with most of what has

been written so far.

As far as used equipment goes I buy, keeping in mind that I am

in the U.S., a lot of equipment on eBay. I communicate with the seller before I bid

or buy and after I do buy something I also buy the eBay warrantee. The last time I

sent something covered by the eBay warrantee in for repair I had their payment for the

repair and the shipping costs in my bank before the repair was completed.

FYI currently using Nikon DSLR's 800's and 700's and I snow ski with a Canon G15.

Mark,

Can’t say much about small cameras, looks like I don't agree with most of what has

been written so far.

As far as used equipment goes I buy, keeping in mind that I am

in the U.S., a lot of equipment on eBay. I communicate with the seller before I bid

or buy and after I do buy something I also buy the eBay warrantee. The last time I

sent something covered by the eBay warrantee in for repair I had their payment for the

repair and the shipping costs in my bank before the repair was completed.

FYI currently using Nikon DSLR's 800's and 700's and I snow ski with a Canon G15.

Hi Chuck

Despite my meanderings in the world of cameras I came back to the original premise. A tiny camera that is capable of passing QC.

It will come with me when walking the dog,canoeing, bushcrafting and in the mountains. It can also live in the car so it is almost always with me.

This is all part of a plan to shoot more for alamy in my quiet times.

The cost of the Nex 5a is covered by may last two Alamy sales.

Time will tell how much I like small cameras :-)

ATB

Mark

Hi lynn

I picked up a Sony NEX 6 a couple months ago and although it will never replace my 5DM2 I'm having no trouble getting the images through Alamy QC.  It fits your budget and takes interchangeable lenses. 

Good to hear the images pass QC :-)

ATB

Mark

Thanks Betty

I take issue a bit with "RX100 being dodgy in bad light".  I have at least 20 images taken with it accepted by Alamy, (bunches more in good  outdoor lighting) that all were indoors with "dodgy" light.  Inside a shopping mall images, but most notably, images taken in an exam room (eye exam) with the lights dimmed. Also in a different exam room.  I would have more, just haven't had the opportunity to shoot those kind of images recently.

I set the camera to shoot RAW, and set one of the intelligent auto settings.  I had ISO set to go up to 800.  There was some noise in some of them, but it is a grain much like shooting 400 film. One of the most pleasant noises I have encountered if you must have it. It was easily corrected in LR.  I will say this, not every image would pass Alamy QC, but not every image I've shot with my Nikons were suitable for Alamy.  I'd say about 60% of the exam room shots were used, but a lot of the rejects were because they were so crooked I didn't have enough image left after straightening, LOL!  The price of shooting sneaky with the camera in my lap. There's where an adjustable LCD would help Like the MK2 has.

I've taken nice images inside restaurants, where lighting was subdued.  The flash on my RX100 is rusting away (pun) because I never use it.

Congrats, Mark, on finding a great bargain.

Cracking shots Duncan, impressed :-)

Cheers Mark. We are lucky these days for the wide range of choice we have in terms of equipment, spoilt even. The likes of Sony, Fuji, Canon & Nikon all offer a vast choice and I guess it's down to us to decide which one fits us best.

Those shots could be taken with any camera and I believe it's more important how we approach a problem / type of shot. Do we say the camera we have can't do something and then look for a different camera or do we take a closer look at the problem, understand the cause of it and then think of alternative ways to resolve it. After all that, it may mean a new camera but in most cases it doesn't. There's more than one way to skin a rabbit..... so they say :)

For instance, night shots on the car with a 1.5sec exposure generates a lot of blurred shots.... especially with all the pot holes around :angry: . So, what doesn't move as much on a car?!? The chassis. So I built an adjustable rig to attach to the car out of solid timber and attached and attached the camera to that... problem solved. Same for inside the car. The wood cost £30, a lot cheaper than a new camera and can be used on any car. The camera is only one element of the shot and I would be amazed if we ever have a camera that does everything we want. Go with the closest fit and allow our photographers imagination to resolve the remaining obstacles.

Personally, I would go in and try out different cameras first. Some you may right off just on feel alone. Then, especially if you have a Jessops (or equivalent) near by, make use of their 30 day money back offer. That way you can try your preferred systems knowing you can take them back and try another if it doesn't work out.

Hi Duncan

Just to clarify, I have picked up a Sony Nex 5N for a tad under £200, if I don't like it has not cost much and I can move it on.

All our local dealers have gone bust or moved, our nearest Jessops is an hour away. I used to have a pro dealer that

would delivers cameras to try and collect if I did not want them, those were the days.

I agree with your diy approach, I used to spend days building room sets, no space these days sadly.

The reason for the low budget is that Alamy is a small part of what I do so real investment in kit goes to my full frame cameras.

ATB

Mark

Hi Duncan

Just to clarify, I have picked up a Sony Nex 5N for a tad under £200, if I don't like it has not cost much and I can move it on.

All our local dealers have gone bust or moved, our nearest Jessops is an hour away. I used to have a pro dealer that

would delivers cameras to try and collect if I did not want them, those were the days.

I agree with your diy approach, I used to spend days building room sets, no space these days sadly.

The reason for the low budget is that Alamy is a small part of what I do so real investment in kit goes to my full frame cameras.

ATB

Mark

The Nex 5n is a canny camera. You can also stick on most of your existing lenses with the an adapter and get good results.

Duncan

> The Nex 5n is a canny camera.

I will let you know what Ithink of it.

> You can also stick on most of your existing lenses with the an adapter and get good results.

I am trying to visualise my 70-200 2.8 on the sony :-)

Duncan

> The Nex 5n is a canny camera.

I will let you know what Ithink of it.

> You can also stick on most of your existing lenses with the an adapter and get good results.

I am trying to visualise my 70-200 2.8 on the sony :-)

:lol:  Yeah. I used a canon 100-400L on the Nex7 I had..... pimple on a pigs arrrr...  :)

Archived