Overcast Days vs Open Shade

I've been trying to find NYCat's comment on shooting on overcast days, but I cannot find it.  :blink:

Sure I shoot on overcast days . . . but I much prefer the light of open shade (not on the sunny side of the street). Open shade is often brighter and the direction of the light is better. The light on overcast days is overhead lighting and can cause problems, shadows where we don't want them. 

Paulette's comment was a response to my saying I wanted a sunshine day to test the RX10. That's because sunshine makes all the varied lighting situations available for my tests.  

I see no sun in NYC in the near future.  :angry:

On overcast days I tend to do macro stuff outside as I find the soft light good for lighting foliage & fungi, or stay in and do studio (well, kitchen table stuff).

You could I guess test the RX10's close-up ability.  

Parm  :ph34r:

Because of below comment, I clicked on your port link, Ed. It's not one of your recent 10 images, but do you happen to know if the cheerful Birdman a frequent fixture in the park?

Sure, but I want to do all my tests in one outing, not drag things out over a number of days. In the meantime, I've been shooting. The most recent 10 images in my collection were done with the RX10. 

Dave, my new RX10 has image stabilization.  :)

Ann, I just happened across him that day, but from looking him up on the Net I found that he does, or has been, going to the Washington Square Park often. But . . . he didn't look well at all (some bird flu?) so who knows what the future holds. He was in the western half of the park. Look for a lot of pigeons.  He was being shoot by a film crew that day. Good luck.   :D

I had my best ever sale this month of a market sign in Woolwich, London on a horrible, overcast and miserable day. I was surprised I managed to get a handheld shot that didn't have camera shake.

Ya never know!

Just goes to show...something...oh yeah - I can happily ignore all advice about cloudy day shots now!  In fact, I only just recently uploaded one:

DJ82BT.jpg

Woke up to 2" of ice this morning and 20 degrees brrrrrrr! Anyway, I shoot in all kinds of conditions if I feel it will be a good shot. At PP, I may trash them all, but it's good practice for me. ;)

Is that a blue northern, Charley? I used to live in DFW. 

Is that a blue northern, Charley? I used to live in DFW. 

Haven't a clue Ed, but if I were to take a guess, I'd say onset of a mini Ice Age. We're cyclically due for one ... this past summer was very mild for Texas and this winter very cold, one of the coldest I'd seen in my 15-20 yrs. of being here. Rarely see this before the first of the year into Feb.

Well Ed, as someone who had done nothing but complain about the dark dull dismal dreary dank days we have been having for the past few months here, I feel your pain. Manged a bit of sun yesterday for a couple of hours, but it soon wandered away and the clouds rolled back in. Dark today, dark tomorrow, Sunday supposed to be partly cloudy. Then 4 or 5 days of flurries in a row. Ugh! Sunshine is good for the soul as well as the camera lens, so lets hope somewhere down the line there are a number of sunny days in a row.

Following complaints of very cold, dank, dreary, cold, sun-less, bleak, cold, rainy, dismal, cold weather . . . . .

. . . ummm . . . well, even though the great Muhammad Ali said "it's not bragging if you can back it up", I'll not comment  . . . :-)

dd

I think my comment on overcast days had to do with the fact that I am most often shooting (with a camera) animals and the sunny days can make for a harsh and contrasty light that is not good for them. Also, at the zoo the animals love to FALL ASLEEP in the sun. Chilly is better and the even light of an overcast day is better. That is for the most part. Of course it's not always the same and different for people who are more versatile in their photography than I am.

Paulette

What's that I see out the window? Sunshine! Not Arizona sunshine, true, more like British sunshine, where by the time I get my coat zippered it will be gone. I'll just go uptown and shoot. The testing will have to wait until next week . . . or January.  And by then it well may be redundant. 

What's that I see out the window? Sunshine! Not Arizona sunshine, true, more like British sunshine, where by the time I get my coat zippered it will be gone. I'll just go uptown and shoot. The testing will have to wait until next week . . . or January.  And by then it well may be redundant. 

We did get some a bit closer to the AZ model in July and August, and our heating didn't go on until the end of October.

Back to nearer normal now, though.

Lots of sunshine here but -30 Celsius here (-40 with the windchill). My camera stays inside despite the lovely low light and frost on the trees :ph34r:. Although if some fluffed out magpies come to my yard I might give it a try.

Chris

At last! A warm day in Alberta. Now I remember why I moved to balmy Vancouver.

Archived