No upload today

Just now, Alex Ramsay said:

Uploader doesn't seem to be working this morning - anyone else?

Alex

I uploaded without problems today (evening now in Oz). 

Images stopped in QC.

For your information I have just uploaded a batch of images on the web loader and they sailed through with no problems. The previous upload was on 16th and I did not experience any problems then either.

Allan

I'm currently watching the spinning spring or whatever it is after uploading 17 photos.  Had the same thing happen maybe up load before the last one.  This isn't on my end, as SpeedTest is showing good rates coming and going.  It's possible that I'm hitting night maintenance for the uploading system.   This has been going on for a while.  I can dump the three images that aren't getting uploaded into the next batch to go, but I'll leave it for a while to see what happens.  Two photos the first time and now three. 

Edited by Rebecca Ore
more information

I just loaded a small batch of 6 images. Immediately got the "Congratulations you've passed QC". So clicked on the "Got it' Button, only to get a message that images in QC. And I could see the images still processing. Checked back 20 minutes later, and passed all ready to go.

I've conducted 3 test uoloads today.

Test 1 resize filw to under 25 meg - instantly uploaded!

Test 2 resize 4 files and leave a fifth file in the middle at original sizing - uploaded first 2 and then failed on file over 25 meg.

Test 3 resize all files to under 25 meg - they all uploaded.

I knew that nothing had changed at my end - it had to be Alamy.

I think some of the problems being encountered are due to the time of day images are being uploaded. Even half an hour difference can mean you are hitting Alamy servers when they are almost at overload due to high volume of images being uploaded.

If you can time your upload to hit a sweet spot when servers are not so busy then your images go through without problems.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I think some of the problems being encountered are due to the time of day images are being uploaded. Even half an hour difference can mean you are hitting Alamy servers when they are almost at overload due to high volume of images being uploaded.

If you can time your upload to hit a sweet spot when servers are not so busy then your images go through without problems.

Allan

A lot of ISPs do maintenance after midnight local time.  My time here is the same as Central Time in the USA.  London is six hours ahead of Chicago, so any upload after 7 p.m. in Nicaragua would be 1 a.m. or later in the UK. 

Cannot upload via FTP tonight - "Could not connect to server" and Connection attempt failed with "EACCES - Permission denied"".  Never had a problem with FTP before.  Uploader worked ok though.

Graham

Edited by Graham

I had problems with FTPing through to alamy as well a few times in the last 7 days, where the server connection failed or was abandoned mid-upload during a news upload. Thought it was related to Filezilla or my mobile hotspot at first, but the same news images went through to other agencies without problems just before or after, also via Filezilla. Would love to know the reasons so I can fix it (if on my side) as I've not changed any Filezilla settings. Did ask a while ago but the response was "no issues on our side". Yes, the image uploader would be an alternative, but it is slow and fiddly when time is off essence and the sets to other agencies need to go out via Filezilla anyway.

On 25/02/2022 at 17:19, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I have said this a few times, but it doesn't help that distributing agencies like Zuma, Sipa, Sopa, et al are allowed to constantly file the exact same sets of images multiple times. Sadly, for news images, it is not possible to hit any "sweet spots" where servers are less busy. 

Last week It wouldn't upload one particular file in a small batch, so I just left that file out. Today it has objected to 2 specific files - just the whirly-bird going round and not actually uploading. It is definitely the same files getting stuck - the rest of the batches sail through. I just have to keep restarting the batch omitting the files it has taken a dislike to.

Sandi

4 hours ago, Sandi said:

Last week It wouldn't upload one particular file in a small batch, so I just left that file out. Today it has objected to 2 specific files - just the whirly-bird going round and not actually uploading. It is definitely the same files getting stuck - the rest of the batches sail through. I just have to keep restarting the batch omitting the files it has taken a dislike to.

Sandi

I had no trouble adding two that had gotten stuck to a later upload.  Different files got stuck later.  For me it was always last two or three files in the batch. 

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, newbie in nyc said:

I have attempted to upload a batch of 6 files since March 21.

Just get the Whirling Circle of Doom whenever I try. Tried leaving out the first file, still won't upload.

Has anyone figured this out?

Worked fine for me using Firefox on Sunday night. Have you tried using a different browser? And how good is your internet connection?

A few thoughts . . .

The last time I had problems trying to upload was 3 years ago in Montreal. The head of Alamy tech found that I was using some bad punctuation signs in my numbering. Now I just use letters, numbers, and periods. 

Carol was clicking too fast for the software to keep up, I think -- slow down to a tai chi tempo.

I use the Alamy upload and Safari with no major problems. 

Steve, your files are LARGE, twice the size of mine. 

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo, you're using a Sony RX100 normally? About 20ish MP with a sensor about 13.2mm x 8.8mm? I've only got 24MP, but it's a full frame sensor, which probably makes the difference. 24MP is starting to seem small today for new cameras.... You need a lot of storage for files from a 42MP camera and upwards!

That comment was directed at Steve Fleming, Steve F.

But yes, most of my snaps are taken with a RX100/7 or RX100/5. I also use the Sony a6000. My Nikon days are over. 

I'm going for an eye exam this morning. I hope everything is still okay with my peepers. 🤪

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

That comment was directed at Steve Fleming, Steve F.

But yes, most of my snaps are taken with a RX100/7 or RX100/5. I also use the Sony a6000. My Nikon days are over. 

I'm going for an eye exam this morning. I hope everything is still okay with my peepers. 🤪

Will be rooting for you Edo.

Allan

18 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

A few thoughts . . .

The last time I had problems trying to upload was 3 years ago in Montreal. The head of Alamy tech found that I was using some bad punctuation signs in my numbering. Now I just use letters, numbers, and periods. 

Carol was clicking too fast for the software to keep up, I think -- slow down to a tai chi tempo.

I use the Alamy upload and Safari with no major problems. 

I'm using Nikon Z7 and Leica SL2 which are 47Mb cameras. 

If I produce a panorama then larger still.

I wonder how the medium format photographers manage their output and uploads?

At the moment if I'm using Firefox then files need to be under 35Mb and for Safari 50Mb.

Still nothing from Alamy IT services - waiting over a month now.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SteveFleming said:

I'm using Nikon Z7 and Leica SL2 which are 47Mb cameras. 

If I produce a panorama then larger still.

I wonder how the medium format photographers manage their output and uploads?

At the moment if I'm using Firefox then files need to be under 35Mb and for Safari 50Mb.

Still nothing from Alamy IT services - waiting over a month now.

Have you tried FTP?

• Like 1