Doesn't this really get to you?

geogphotos

Question

33.95 -25.80 8.15

So a 'reasonable' ( these days!) overall fee to start with but then the photographer ends up with 6 quid. 

How many of these do you need a day to make a living??

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

17 answers to this question

It rankles… of course. But, well, even without being any kind of authority about the business we call stock, I’ve been aware of the ‘direction of travel’ over the last decade, and see no reason for optimism that the situation will improve.

Everyone has a camera; they can all produce images which are ‘good enough’ for many purposes. Once our pix are ‘piled high and sold cheap’, there’s seems to be no way to differentiate, price-wise, between a pic that’s easy to take - the roses in my back garden - and something more demanding.

So… I guess I’m disappointed by low prices… but not surprised…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Everyone has a camera; they can all produce images which are ‘good enough’ for many purposes. Once our pix are ‘piled high and sold cheap’, there’s seems to be no way to differentiate, price-wise, between a pic that’s easy to take - the roses in my back garden - and something more demanding.

So… I guess I’m disappointed by low prices… but not surprised…

Everyone having a camera still does not justify the distribution arm keeping 76% of the licencing fee. 

• Love 2
  • Like 3

My thoughts are best put into words by

Jud Paynter "t'aint right, t'aint fair, t'aint fit, t'aint proper" and

General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett "If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through".

Stay safe...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

It gets to me alright, but I have no doubt that things will continue to get worse. Oversupply and falling prices mean that the only way the middlemen can increase profits is to keep squeezing the suppliers.

we have also seen environment where the middlemen gets squeezed.  I still don't understand why the recent changes had 0 impact on Affiliates and Distributors. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gordon Scammell said:

How bad can it get?

When Alamy decide to charge contributors a fee to upload images.  Or they could introduce a storage fee for each image.  

Unfortunately there will still be contributors who will be more than happy to pay to upload their work.

Don't give them ideas!

I have already indicated in another thread or two that if any fees were introduced for uploading or storing images I would pull my port and that would be the end of my association with them.

Allan

• Love 2

On 30/09/2021 at 09:19, geogphotos said:
33.95 -25.80 8.15

So a 'reasonable' ( these days!) overall fee to start with but then the photographer ends up with 6 quid. 

How many of these do you need a day to make a living??

It is of course no longer possible even for someone with a port your size to make a living purely from stock.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BobD said:

It is of course no longer possible even for someone with a port your size to make a living purely from stock.

Seriously, I am making more from DACS and chasing infringements. Stock sales are becoming just a means to get the images out there.

Sad but true.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

It gets to me alright, but I have no doubt that things will continue to get worse. Oversupply and falling prices mean that the only way the middlemen can increase profits is to keep squeezing the suppliers.

There's no need for falling prices other than world domination.

On 30/09/2021 at 04:45, meanderingemu said:

Everyone having a camera still does not justify the distribution arm keeping 76% of the licencing fee. 

I had one of these sales recently - so excited when I saw the sales amount and then what I ended up getting was about a third of it. Had to do with paying a middle-man-distributor their percentage. I wasn't too upset because it was such a random point and shoot photograph that was basically an afterthought when I took it. I sell the strangest images. 

Edited by kimba
Adding thoughts.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kimba said:

I had one of these sales recently - so excited when I saw the sales amount and then what I ended up getting was about a third of it. Had to do with paying a middle-man-distributor their percentage. 

yeah, I've had 75% of my affiliate links since the change of contract, though one was reversed weeks later- still no explanation from Alamy what a wrong Affiliate link is, and what process they are putting in place to review them all. 

• Love 1

On 01/10/2021 at 12:07, geogphotos said:

Seriously, I am making more from DACS and chasing infringements. Stock sales are becoming just a means to get the images out there.

Sad but true.

My DACS Payback 2021 is more than I earned from Alamy in the past 12 months. 

There are many boutique agencies who have a niche market cornered if one takes the time to search them out.