Finding Alamy images after contract ends

Thyrsis

Question

All our images will be taken down from Alamy in 10 days time. I would like to be able to do a Google search on them for a while afterwards so what would be the easiest way of doing this? I don’t have them online elsewhere. 

21 answers to this question

Searching the caption : 'Closed rural Post Office Shottisham Suffolk UK" found my image and a couple of similars.

No idea what proportion of Alamy images is listed by Google ( but of course these will go after your account closes).

Presumably you have downloaded all the metadata so have all the captions ready to use

So IF the user has used the Alamy caption you have a chance.

Otherwise it's going to be down to uploading small images to Google Images and hoping for the best.

Edited by geogphotos

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Presumably you have downloaded all the metadata so have all the captions ready to use

Have downloaded metadata and also our Account Balance and Sales History as I won’t have access to these but will have payments outstanding. Also the are some newspaper usages I know of that haven’t been reported yet…

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

uploading small images to Google Images

GI only works with hosted images as Ian says so you would have to upload thumbnails to a hosting site somewhere. Maybe postimages.org or Google photos.

Of course if you find infringements you can go after them straight away- Alamy doesn't get first dibsies if you don't have a contract- but you would have to be sure that it was an infrigement and not an Alamy licence that you didn't know about or hadn't matched up with a reported sale. Alamy probably won't check for relevant downloads for you anymore.

• Like 1

Google images also works with uploaded images. As do Yandex; Bing and Tineye. Baidu is useless most of the time, if it finds anything at all, it's included in one of the others.

If any of these balk at the size of the uploaded image, just use a smaller size. 1920px is a good size.

I just drag my image and drop it in the search boxes btw (with Windows).

wim

so

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Because we’re leaving Alamy before the new contract comes into force.

You wrote "All OUR images will be taken down from Alamy in 10 days time" which sounded to me also my pics will be removed. This is not the case I guess.

Honestly, I don't have the time (and the will, above all) to follow for ages all the absurd decisions Alamy introduce every couple of years to his contributor photographers. In the last few days, I was busy by celebrating Italy's victory at European Championship which is much more interesting than following Alamy's bla bla bla. 😅 

If I accept the new contract, I presume my images will still be there after July 24 and will be ALL sold with a 40% for me (distributors included), right?! And I can remove exclusivity previously given to Alamy or ask Alamy to remove the exclusive images for me, right?

2 minutes ago, stipe said:

so

You wrote "All OUR images will be taken down from Alamy in 10 days time" which sounded to me also my pics will be removed. This is not the case I guess.

Honestly, I don't have the time (and the will, above all) to follow for ages all the absurd decisions Alamy introduce every couple of years to his contributor photographers. In the last few days, I was busy by celebrating Italy's victory at European Championship which is much more interesting than following Alamy's bla bla bla. 😅 

If I accept the new contract, I presume my images will still be there after July 24 and will be ALL sold with a 40% for me (distributors included), right?! And I can remove exclusivity previously given to Alamy or ask Alamy to remove the exclusive images for me, right?

‘our’ as in mine and my OH’s images! 😀

8 minutes ago, stipe said:

so

just to clarify one thing, Distributor earnings is 40% of what is left "After distributor takes their cut", (what Alamy receives) which Alamy as still not addressed how this will be limited, nor if we will be privy to the information, or just reported the Licence fee NET of distributor cut , something also to keep in mind for people close to levels threshold for following year

Edited by meanderingemu

31 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

just to clarify one thing, Distributor earnings is 40% of what is left "After distributor takes their cut", (what Alamy receives) which Alamy as still not addressed how this will be limited, nor if we will be privy to the information, or just reported the Licence fee NET of distributor cut , something also to keep in mind for people close to levels threshold for following year

Currently, you get 50% with regular sales and 40% if sold via distributor, right? What's going to happen in 10 days? I thought there was no longer any difference between direct sale and distributor's sale as you get 40% of the total sale. Am I wrong?

2 minutes ago, stipe said:

Currently, you get 50% with regular sales and 40% if sold via distributor, right? What's going to happen in 10 days? I thought there was no longer any difference between direct sale and distributor's sale as you get 40% of the total sale. Am I wrong?

currently for distributors you get 30%.  Alamy took 30%, and there was a 40% commission To cover distributor commission.  This was the same for all Distro sales regardless of the actual agreement between Alamy and the Distributor.

As of July 24, You will be getting 40% of What Alamy receives, which most of us have deemed to be the amount Net of Actual distributor commission. 

Since none of us have access to the specifics of Alamy's agreements with each individual Distributor, I don't think we have an idea what our final % of the Original Licence Price will be on any individual sales. 

2 hours ago, stipe said:

Any Big Contributor attending the forum is leaving Alamy soon? Just curious.

Big in numbers not so much in sales.

Not leaving, but not contributing. Doing other things, pursuing personal interests.

Feel sorely tempted to delete my account but what would that achieve? So am going to wait 6 months and see what happens to my revenue. 

Producing new images was already a marginal economic enterprise and am not here for the cake recipes. 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Big in numbers not so much in sales.

Not leaving, but not contributing. Doing other things, pursuing personal interests.

Feel sorely tempted to delete my account but what would that achieve? So am going to wait 6 months and see what happens to my revenue. 

Producing new images was already a marginal economic enterprise and am not here for the cake recipes. 

Awww, c’mon Ian, not even my fried pie recipe? not that I’d give it out.