Next 500

Betty LaRue

Question

I don't think you are "missing something".

I wanted to change all my images to non-exclusive and picked first 500 did the change then nothing. So I started altering as many as I could just step by step/ batch by batch.

It was taking so long I asked Alamy to do it for me and it was completed in the next server update.

Allan

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I don't think you are "missing something".

I wanted to change all my images to non-exclusive and picked first 500 did the change then nothing. So I started altering as many as I could just step by step/ batch by batch.

It was taking so long I asked Alamy to do it for me and it was completed in the next server update.

Allan

I guess there’s a way if using LR catalog, but I don’t. I’m not changing everything to editorial. Just what could be a problem, so I don’t want Alamy to do a blanket change. I don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

About exclusive...I’ll wait until closer to June 30 to change those, then I’ll probably ask Alamy to do that if I stay.

I’ll go through my “innocent” port, like birds and plants, nature stuff, and double check I have everything identified correctly. If in doubt, I’ll delete those. But I’ve always spent a lot of time researching to be sure of my IDs, and if I wasn’t satisfied, I didn’t upload it.

I’ve had a decent amount of unidentifiables over the years and finally just deleted them. If I didn’t, I kept going down that rabbit hole over and over again in frustration until it wore me down.

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Why is the “First 500” offered to change things in Image Manager but no “second 500? Third 500?  Am I missing something? I’ve been working on my iPad.

I've been looking at this too. The first 500 limit is a pain. But it is possible to select multiple submissions at the same time by shift clicking (Mac or PC) the submissions in the left hand navigation panel, and then (providing as the total number of images in the selected submissions is less than 500), select all images and change their settings all in one go. If the submissions are sorted into date order, then it's possible to expand and contract the list of submissions year by year and work through systematically.

Still tedious though. 😞

Then, just when we've finished, Alamy/PA will change the rules again.😞

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never understood this 'Newest 500 passed' selector though I had thought that it was a well used technique and therefore I just didn't know how to do it. It doesn't feel right to experiment on 500 images when you're not sure how you've arrived at them, in particular are they recognising the filters that you might have applied?

For example I could apply the 'Exclusive to Alamy' attributes filter to find all such images and then click on 'Newest 500 passed', then uncheck the 'Exclusive to Alamy' box for (apparently) these 500 and 'Save'.

Then in theory I could just repeat that but I don't think those changes are reflected until the server update so I'll just find the same 500 again unless I leave it a day or so.

Or am I wrong about that?

Update:

I was wrong about that, you don''t have to wait for the server update.

So apply the 'Exclusive to Alamy' filter, select 'Newest 500 passed', uncheck the 'Exclusive Alamy' check-box & 'Save'. Rinse & repeat by using 'Clear all fillters' first, you'll find the number found goes down by 500 each time.

Please do so at your own risk though and download your data first! I don't actually want to do it wholesale like this anyway. The 500 limit is likely because the server couldn't be relied on to cope with unlimiited numbers of images at a time.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

Please do so at your own risk though and download your data first! I don't actually want to do it wholesale like this anyway. The 500 limit is likely because the server couldn't be relied on to cope with unlimiited numbers of images at a time.

It also works with the metadata search fields as well as the filters (e.g. Locality). 

Disclaimer: Please do so at your own risk. Is this going to become a standard clause for advice given on the forum? A sign of the times 🤔

Edited by MDM
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ReeRay said:

Why "all but one" - confused

Because I am about to report the image as being used, credited to me and Alamy, but not reported to Alamy. This is now well past the time Alamy allows a client to report. I will then expect my 50% commission as the new contract hasn’t started. Later it will be marked non exclusive. 

29 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Because I am about to report the image as being used, credited to me and Alamy, but not reported to Alamy. This is now well past the time Alamy allows a client to report. I will then expect my 50% commission as the new contract hasn’t started. Later it will be marked non exclusive. 

OK, Thanks. I just thought maybe you'd latched onto some cute ploy ! 😀

9 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I've never understood this 'Newest 500 passed' selector though I had thought that it was a well used technique and therefore I just didn't know how to do it. It doesn't feel right to experiment on 500 images when you're not sure how you've arrived at them, in particular are they recognising the filters that you might have applied?

For example I could apply the 'Exclusive to Alamy' attributes filter to find all such images and then click on 'Newest 500 passed', then uncheck the 'Exclusive to Alamy' box for (apparently) these 500 and 'Save'.

Then in theory I could just repeat that but I don't think those changes are reflected until the server update so I'll just find the same 500 again unless I leave it a day or so.

Or am I wrong about that?

you are correct your method would work over time.  You would need to wait for the server update until you do the next batch of 500, so it would take days. 

interesting about your Update.  I guess "exclusive" works differently than other variable, because i couldn't make it work when i was changing all the "editorial" for certain criterias 

Edited by meanderingemu

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

interesting about your Update.  I guess "exclusive" works differently than other variable, because i couldn't make it work when i was changing all the "editorial" for certain criterias 

Yes, it is indeed a complete mystery to me why some changes require a server update to register and other criteria update straightaway. I only did the first 500 but it definitely reduced the number of Exclusive remaining by 500.

• Thanks 1

Related, anyone found a way to modify deleted images that are still in the 6 months waiting period?  I might have to email Alamy for those.

I know that I boringly keep banging on about Alamy Lightroom Bridge, but again, this is something you can do with images that are in limbo waiting to be deleted. Otherwise you cannot.

Just thought that since I was suggesting this method I should try it out properly, did all mine no problem, 6 batches, just a few minutes. Now I'm going to put them all back to Exclusive again using the same method.

Edit:

Worked fine putting them all back to Exlusive again, I guess it takes about a minute for each batch of 500.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I use LR, but not the catalog.

Not sure what you mean. If your images aren’t “in” LR, then you can simply import them from wherever you store them, then use the plugin to capture the Alamy data. It’s a bit fiddly at first until you have the photos in your catalogue matched with those on Alamy but after that there are huge benefits.

1 hour ago, Sally said:

Not sure what you mean. If your images aren’t “in” LR, then you can simply import them from wherever you store them, then use the plugin to capture the Alamy data. It’s a bit fiddly at first until you have the photos in your catalogue matched with those on Alamy but after that there are huge benefits.

Nah. I’ve resisted having my images in LR until now, I shall continue. Thanks anyway. That would be way more work than changing things 500 at a time and waiting for the update. Slow, but easy.

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Nah. I’ve resisted having my images in LR until now, I shall continue. Thanks anyway. That would be way more work than changing things 500 at a time and waiting for the update. Slow, but easy.

Betty your images stay where they are in your folders on your drive/s wherever they are.

All LR does is build a card file library which points LR to the file you want to work on in your folder and opens it in LR. The image file stays on your disc or whatever.

Allan

• Love 1

On 29/05/2021 at 21:14, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, it is indeed a complete mystery to me why some changes require a server update to register and other criteria update straightaway.

Not sure it answers your mystery, but IIRC Alamy explained this some while ago.

"Filter" works as soon as you make a change because it uses an internal mechanism, but "search" uses the main search engine so it doesn't work until server update. Or something. Definitely not my dee-partment.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

IIRC Alamy explained this some while ago- "filter" works as soon as you make a change, but "search" doesn't work until server update. Or something.

Thanks, didn't see that. So I guess what people need are two more attributes in the filter section, 'Editorial only' and 'not Editorial only'. could save a lot of time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks, didn't see that. So I guess what people need are two more attributes in the filter section, 'Editorial only' and 'not Editorial only'. could save a lot of time.

It is there scroll down.

Allan