Another Adobe Question

I have been using Adobe software for many many years and using the Adobe Downloader as part of Bridge as my method for downloading photos to my computer.  I recently had to re-install Adobe CC to my new SSD drive (on a non Mac) windows 10 and I cannot get it to save my settings.  In the past, once you launch it the first time and fill out the fields in the advanced dialog, it will automatically remember when you go to download the next time.  Not anymore!! Any ideas? I have to fill out all the fields over again.   I have googled and gone on Adobe Help and found no useful info.  I must be missing something obvious but what??

Thanks in advance!

Michael 

Okay I have a little Photoshop one that has been nagging me.

In File/Open Recent it used to list all my most recent JPEGs now it only lists a few - it seems to be the ones that didn't require much in the way of changes in RAW/Photoshop that are still visible but the others are not. Just a bit of a pain.

No big deal but it does make you wonder how these changes happen and what to do to undo them.

32 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have been using Adobe software for many many years and using the Adobe Downloader as part of Bridge as my method for downloading photos to my computer.  I recently had to re-install Adobe CC to my new SSD drive (on a non Mac) windows 10 and I cannot get it to save my settings.  In the past, once you launch it the first time and fill out the fields in the advanced dialog, it will automatically remember when you go to download the next time.  Not anymore!! Any ideas? I have to fill out all the fields over again.   I have googled and gone on Adobe Help and found no useful info.  I must be missing something obvious but what??

Thanks in advance!

Michael 

Not sure what you mean by fill out the fields. Do you mean metadata fields such as copyright etc? If so you might need to save a metadata template with fields filled out and apply that on download. I don’t use Bridge any more as I use Lightroom but there is a process like this in Lightroom. 

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

Not sure what you mean by fill out the fields. Do you mean metadata fields such as copyright etc? If so you might need to save a metadata template with fields filled out and apply that on download. I don’t use Bridge any more as I use Lightroom but there is a process like this in Lightroom. 

Yes, things like copyright and file naming.  Did not see where you can save it in Adobe Downloader, it just did it automatically before.

I think you need to create a metadata template (Tools- Create Metadata Template) with the information you want to apply, save that and then apply it on download. It should show up in the Advanced Dialog - Template to Use. You can also apply it afterwards to files that are already downloaded. When creating the template, just tick the field that you want to apply and leave the rest blank.

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Okay I have a little Photoshop one that has been nagging me.

In File/Open Recent it used to list all my most recent JPEGs now it only lists a few - it seems to be the ones that didn't require much in the way of changes in RAW/Photoshop that are still visible but the others are not. Just a bit of a pain.

No big deal but it does make you wonder how these changes happen and what to do to undo them.

The first thing I do with Photoshop for something like this is look in the Preferences. Needless to say Photoshop is complicated and there are all sorts of other preferences as well, for tools, workspaces, menus,  keyboard shortcuts etc.  If it is not obvious then I  search the help. That usually does the trick. If not and it is really important then the last stop would be the Adobe forums or the like. Oh yes books as well. I have Photoshop books dating back to 1994. 

However, I could not find what controls the number of recent files in Photoshop though but I did find what controls the list in macOS  by a simple search. 

Edited by MDM

In Photoshop preference (control K) under 'file handling', there should be a box right at the bottom of the window for how many files appear in your list (default used to be 10) - adjust to taste......

2 minutes ago, GeoffK said:

In Photoshop preference (control K) under 'file handling', there should be a box right at the bottom of the window for how many files appear in your list (default used to be 10) - adjust to taste......

Correct though it is now 20. 

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I think you need to create a metadata template (Tools- Create Metadata Template)

When you make a new template in Photoshop make sure to use a new blank image this way none of the existing metadata of an image gets carried over to the new template. I learned this the hard way when the capture dates/times were being corrupted by the template I made.

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks in advance!

Michael 

Michael, do you have Bridge? I have templates set up. One might be titled: BASIC INFO 2021.  There I’ll have my personal info, and some basic things in the tag area like day,daytime,outdoors,nobody,Wichita,Kansas,US,USA,United States,North America.

I can apply that template by selecting all images in a batch. Then when finishing the tagging in each image, I add new tags and remove what doesn’t apply. It saves inputting a lot of repetitive tags.

If this is not what you’re asking, ignore!

10 minutes ago, dlmphotog said:

When you make a new template in Photoshop make sure to use a new blank image this way none of the existing metadata of an image gets carried over to the new template. I learned this the hard way when the capture dates/times were being corrupted by the template I made.

I was talking about creating a template in Bridge but I guess the same applies. Create it with no files selected if you want a brand new template. However, it could be easier to create it from an existing file, which would carry over copyright info for example, but making sure no irrelevant info is carried over. It depends on what boxes you have ticked.

Edited by MDM

8 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Michael, do you have Bridge? I have templates set up. One might be titled: BASIC INFO 2021.  There I’ll have my personal info, and some basic things in the tag area like day,daytime,outdoors,nobody,Wichita,Kansas,US,USA,United States,North America.

I can apply that template by selecting all images in a batch. Then when finishing the tagging in each image, I add new tags and remove what doesn’t apply. It saves inputting a lot of repetitive tags.

If this is not what you’re asking, ignore!

He is talking about Bridge but he is talking about applying the metadata in the Adobe Downloader on import.  It is the same thing. You have to create a metadata template. There is a box in the downloader to select and apply a template.

Edited by MDM

3 hours ago, MDM said:

He is talking about Bridge but he is talking about applying the metadata in the Adobe Downloader on import.  It is the same thing. You have to create a metadata template. There is a box in the downloader to select and apply a template.

Yes, but I don't see a place where you save the settings....in the past, it just saved it all automatically.  Where do you select and apply a template?

10 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, but I don't see a place where you save the settings....in the past, it just saved it all automatically.  Where do you select and apply a template?

Use the Tools Menu in Bridge - Create Template.  Once you are finished there is a a Save button at the bottom. You can then select that template in the downloader at the bottom right of the Advanced Dialog - Template to Use.

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

Once I have a template set up that I want to apply to an image, I highlight the image in Bridge. Then go to Tools>Apply template. Search for the template you’ve created, mine would be “Basic Info 2021”. Click on it, and that information is imported to your image. You do have to save it.
If you have a folder full of images (mine are all the finished Tiffs) I highlight them all, then go to the template, apply it and it will populate the metadata in all highlighted images.

Then I add all tags needed for each image one at a time. I actually have templates for a lot of nature subjects, because an American Robin will always have the same scientific name, and so on. It keeps me from looking them up each time. These templates have all the other basic info applied, too.

So say I shoot a bird I’ve never shot before. I apply the basic 2021 template. Then I add all the tags relative to that bird. Save it. Highlight that image again, go to Tools>Create new template. Then as the title, I put in the name of that bird and scientific name.

When I need that template again, I find it by title and apply it to the highlighted image.

Others may do it differently, Michael. This works for me.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

Betty and Michael, thanks for your efforts!! I am familiar with the metadata templates but these don't solve the problem I am having with the downloader.   I have magazine shoots throughout the week, working with four publications regularly and I had a workflow with the downloader where I easily directed the new shoot to a proper folder and renamed the files for that shoot while adding copyright info....don't need keywords for these shoots.  Anyway, just a pain to have to start anew every time I download a new shoot.  Before, it always retained all info from the previous download and I could just tweak it for the new shoot in matter of seconds.  I am trying to get a hold of Adobe tech support to see if they can help.  I have been reading online that others have been experiencing the same issue and maybe with a recent update, Adobe messed something up.

OK. I guess I don't fully understand the problem as you can add the copyright and constant metadata using a template as I described just by clicking on the drop down menu at the bottom of the downloader so it is only one action once you have set up the template. Perhaps there is a difference between the Mac and PC versions. I haven't tried setting up the rename in the downloader but it certainly holds the previous one if you do it from within Bridge. An alternative workflow until you get it sorted out would be just to copy the files to a specified folder on the hard drive and apply a template and renaming there. That definitely works and is not a lot different from what you are doing in terms of time taken. 

Edited by MDM

Sorry, Michael V. I don’t understand the “downloader” bit, so I can’t help. How frustrating for you.

I get frustrated with Adobe’s so called improvements and updates that change how we do things. It’s easy for me to get knocked off my comfortable place.

Good luck.

15 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Sorry, Michael V. I don’t understand the “downloader” bit, so I can’t help. How frustrating for you.

I get frustrated with Adobe’s so called improvements and updates that change how we do things. It’s easy for me to get knocked off my comfortable place.

Good luck.

It is basically the same thing as you have been talking about except it is applying the metadata using the Adobe downloader directly from the camera card rather than just opening a folder  of images that have already been copied to the hard drive in Bridge. You get to the downloader by clicking Get Photos from Camera in the File Menu of Bridge. There are so many ways of achieving the same end.

10 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks in advance!

Michael 

Michael,

I assume you are a U.S. CC user as I am? Every time I've had a CC question I just called Adobe and they solved the problem quickly and better than reading endless forums.

Chuck

17 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Michael,

I assume you are a U.S. CC user as I am? Every time I've had a CC question I just called Adobe and they solved the problem quickly and better than reading endless forums.

Chuck

Just spent close to an hour with an Adobe tech support guy in India and he had no clue....could not solve the problem.  The Adobe help forum was worthless.  Yes, Michael and Betty I may have to rework my workflow and get used to a new method.  Just frustrating that I have been doing it this way for many years, since whenever they first introduced Bridge.   Oh well, nothing is forever.

10 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Just spent close to an hour with an Adobe tech support guy in India and he had no clue....could not solve the problem.  The Adobe help forum was worthless.  Yes, Michael and Betty I may have to rework my workflow and get used to a new method.  Just frustrating that I have been doing it this way for many years, since whenever they first introduced Bridge.   Oh well, nothing is forever.

How about finding your old template on your old hdd and copying it to the same folder/directory on your new ssd?

If you don't have an external hdd case or dock, just plug it in your desktop case as an extra drive. Make sure your file manager does not hide any files and folders. The default Windows file manager (File Explorer) can be a bit fiddly. Most things can be done with it though. It can be difficult to see where a file actually is (but not as difficult as in Finder).

Personally I prefer a real file manager like Total Commander.

I have no idea how the whole download thing works in Bridge, and I assume it's the Get photos from camera item under File.

You did say earlier that you had to start from scratch on your new ssd and was unable to copy your setup from your old hdd. That may well mean that you are using different names for the user and owner or administrator now.  Which would complicate matters a bit. Or is complicating matters.

Don't you have a laptop or a functioning backup machine? Since you have been using the same template for so long, it cannot be that hard to retrieve from somewhere. Look in \Users\ under Appdata\Adobe\Roaming\Bridge XXXX like: \Bridge 2021\. The older ones are called Bridge CC 2019; the newer ones seem to have lost the CC.

No idea in what folder to look underneath that, because I don't use the downloader.

It could well be somewhere in the path the Downloader is providing when you click on Browse in the dialog box. Which means it could also sit in the \Pictures\ folder somewhere in stead of the Appdata\....\Bridge\ folder: the Pictures folder seems to be the default.

Still my first route would be to look for it on the old hdd.

Provided you do not want to give up the new installation completely and revert to your old installation albeit on your new ssd.

Because then the route would be: take the old hdd and put it back in, tell it to clone itself to the new ssd and then boot from there.

If you have a messy old system, a totally new setup is usually a good thing. But if you have to rely on just one machine and cannot afford downtime, I would always go the clone route and clean up afterwards if need be.

wim

2 hours ago, MDM said:

It is basically the same thing as you have been talking about except it is applying the metadata using the Adobe downloader directly from the camera card rather than just opening a folder  of images that have already been copied to the hard drive in Bridge. You get to the downloader by clicking Get Photos from Camera in the File Menu of Bridge. There are so many ways of achieving the same end.

Thanks. That’s what I wasn’t understanding...he was downloading from the camera, and the way was through a “downloader”. I’ve never downloaded from the camera. Always did it through a card reader. Sometimes I forget there’s more than one way to skin a cat.
Meaning no disrespect to the kitties.