How many images do members upload

As Paul suggests, how much key wording (and Post) you can deal with in a timely manner should dictate your production level. I normally submit batches of 5, 10 or 25 images at a time. You want to run along side of Jeff? Lots of luck with that.  LOL  :)

All depends what I have been working on. Specific studio stuff, maybe 50-100. But, if I have travel, outdoor and landscape shots, It can be a lot more. The most in one go was about 400.

Jut finishing a batch of 270 (edited down from about 1260 shots) that I will keyword tomorrow and upload over the weekend. But next week it could be a batch of 30..... all depends on what I fancy doing  :D

OMG  no wonder you all have 1000s of images in your portfolios  I will not be doing that many at all... I was thinking of doing about 50 per week .. that's if I manage to get out and get some new shots ...Thanks guys for taking the time to comment... :)

Cheers  B 

I don't know how you all do it, I really don't: it's the keywording that kills me.  Even though my first language is English, I frequently wind up doing as much research as Philippe, so how he manages I just don't know!  Ditto Duncan, I've watched the size of your port expand logarithmically - and not just for the sake of volume - well taken, edited and keyworded, too.  270 keyworded in a day? Cripes, pass the ginger beer!  That'd take me a month!  I guess I'll always be in the catch-up queue <sigh> :( .

I tend to upload as I'm going along at the end of each day of processing so usually about 10-20.  Keywording and captioning done as a batch where possible in Lightroom before upload so words just need reordering in Manage Images .  Obviously don't process every day as need some shooting time.

Pearl

I don't know how you all do it, I really don't: it's the keywording that kills me.  Even though my first language is English, I frequently wind up doing as much research as Philippe, so how he manages I just don't know!  Ditto Duncan, I've watched the size of your port expand logarithmically - and not just for the sake of volume - well taken, edited and keyworded, too.  270 keyworded in a day? Cripes, pass the ginger beer!  That'd take me a month!  I guess I'll always be in the catch-up queue <sigh> :( .

Haha..... I start my day at about 6:30 - 7am and aim for about 150 by midday then it's all down hill  :D

I use a well practiced mix of coffee & loud music..... lately it has been Guns & Roses but equally it could be the Prodigy!! I find I can get through loads of Keywording that way  :P

It does help that I know a lot of the mountains in the pics but I also have have all the maps to hand...... and there is also Google of course. Group images into categories and type up generic keywords that would fit each 50+ batch, copy and apply to all then work your way through adding and deleting where appropriate.

I do all my keywording in Capture One as it allows me to place keywords in a specific order. First few essential, next Main. It also means the same keywords can be used for any other agency. It lightroom, I had to do it once for The rest and once for Alamy.... got sick of that  :wacko:

For the last two years, I've had a commitment at another agency that I must submit newsworthy images at least once every 45 days in order to remain in good standing.  My cameras are with me 24 hours a day / 7 days per week.  My goal is to get 100 usable images per month uploaded to all of the agencies I submit to (newsworthy or otherwise) including Alamy.  Sometimes I meet that goal, other times I exceed that goal.

I have a personal target of a minimum of 100 uploads per month. Clearly this varies from season to season and travel, projects, weather etc. The largest batch has been over 400 the smallest 1. It really depends on my workflow comitments and opportunities. There are no rules.

dov

Take it from someone who has been looking at large portfolios on here and wishing it was my numbers. Don't chase it. You'll get depressed, frustrated and start to doubt your abilities. I got myself into lots of negative situations lately trying to build the numbers, as you are told consistently that it's a numbers game. I have no proof to argue, but I would just say don't go chasing numbers. Let it happen in your own time. 

Yes Paul  could not and will not  chase numbers... I need some new images as I think I have run out of "stealing" from my Ex/drives to post what I have posted.. Now the hard work starts I have to go out and work..The only thing that puts me off is carrying my heavy gear around as sometimes I  will need My long lens as well  ..Yes my lenses are heavy, well they feel heavy to me now days  anyway ..  ;)  So maybe I was feeling a little ambitious  to say 50 per week, today I feel it might just be 15 or 20  Ha....  Maybe once I make a sale it might encourage me to get out there more  and get some shots but I think that is a long way off  when I have about 1000 images ...Thanks everyone for taking the time..  :)

cheers Barbara 

The only thing that puts me off is carrying my heavy gear around as sometimes I  will need My long lens as well

I used to prefer telephotography and have always carried a long lens just in case. But over the years I've used it less and less and now probably only take about 5% of my pics with it. I have not made a single sale ever with Alamy from a telephoto shot. In fact only one sale has ever exceeded 50mm-equivalent (that one was 80mm) and the vast majority are from the widest part of the range (24-28 equiv). If I want a lightweight trip I know what to leave behind.

Alan

OMG  no wonder you all have 1000s of images in your portfolios  I will not be doing that many at all... I was thinking of doing about 50 per week .. that's if I manage to get out and get some new shots ...Thanks guys for taking the time to comment... :)

Cheers  B 

Don't forget that some of us are full-time stock shooters. I almost work 7/7, shooting, travelling, keywording and doing business. It's far from being on holiday everyday - like many undeservedly think -_-

Cheers,

Philippe

Very true.... although I do like the ability to have music rocking out while on a mad keywording session........ neighbours think there is some house party going on at the moment  :ph34r:

Cheers  B 

Don't forget that some of us are full-time stock shooters. I almost work 7/7, shooting, travelling, keywording and doing business. It's far from being on holiday everyday - like many undeservedly think -_-

Cheers,

Philippe

Very true.... although I do like the ability to have music rocking out while on a mad keywording session........ neighbours think there is some house party going on at the moment  :ph34r:

For me, it's opera, a few cups of cappuccino and view on my garden bird feeder (for a little distraction and to force my eyes to focus further than 50cm once in a while :wacko: )

Cheers,

Philippe (keywording for the moment)

I told myself I cannot have my lunch until I finish the first 100..... feeling hungry..... still got 20..... arrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh got to push on!!!  :D

Well I think I have done a mistake cos I posted about 30  images on the 13th and a few yesterday not been passed by QC yet... :(  So I am waiting to keyword them but it looks like it might be a while before I can do that...If they have not passed its the first time in over 100 images that have not passed since returning to the site .. My big mistakes were made in 2007 .. so I gave it up for a few years as I didn't have the time to look in to the whys and wherefores  of the site...so now I do have the time I have been taking my time and not rushing everything like a bull in a china shop.. :P .. 

cheers   Barbara 

Well I think I have done a mistake cos I posted about 30  images on the 13th and a few yesterday not been passed by QC yet... :(  So I am waiting to keyword them but it looks like it might be a while before I can do that...If they have not passed its the first time in over 100 images that have not passed since returning to the site .. My big mistakes were made in 2007 .. so I gave it up for a few years as I didn't have the time to look in to the whys and wherefores  of the site...so now I do have the time I have been taking my time and not rushing everything like a bull in a china shop.. :P .. 

cheers   Barbara 

Still time for them to go through..... when you first start uploading they can take a few days to a week. This drops over time as your QC rate improves etc.

cheers   Barbara

Don't worry, they'll pass on Saturday.

Cheers,

Philippe

+1

One minute past midnight GMT

I'll be keywording at 12:02am! :)

Folks, with all this talk about being able to keyword images in large numbers, makes me think that I can maybe do some optimization. I will outline my process, and maybe folks can suggest something.

1. Select photo from Lightroom catalog, check at 100% and look for dust (especially where there is light blue or white sky) - Can take 5-10 minutes

2. Do some quick presetting in Lightroom (slightly enhance or decrease exposure, etc) - 10 minutes per photo

3. Add caption, description and tags in Lightroom (and save the same in Excel) - 15 -20 minutes

4. Upload to Alamy - Does not take dedicated time

5. Wait for photos to clear 

6. Open up photo and arrange into essential, main and comprehensive. Time taken when these keywords have the [] and "" arranged around them as well - 15 minutes or more

Would love to hear from other people as to what they do that can reduce the amount of time taken. 

45 minutes/ image is far too long. More like 5 or 10.

Dust is usually very obvious and it doesn't move between frames so you don't have to pore over every image. Sometimes if a small blizzard has broken out one can copy and paste the settings in LR. I'm constantly surprised where it comes from, though. I've concluded most of it is actually bits of camera.

I have import presets for clarity and saturation so some images need nothing else done at all.

I keyword in MI exclusively, batch mains where appropriate and then personalise esskeys individually.

These days I don't have many comps at all. I'm quite sure no comp has ever sold me a licence.

The trick is to figure out when the weekend starts in the UK.  I live in the Eastern time zone and have batches pass late on Friday or early on Saturday quite often.  Also, batches I upload in the evening on one day are logged in by Alamy on the following day. I've always assumed the server time in the UK is offset by 5-8 hours or more when compared to time zones in the US. 

Archived