Uploaded for the first time, but...

Hi,

My name is Mo, I'm an amateur, and the only camera I have is a Canon 1000D (Rebel XS). So I uploaded 15 photos. I know it wasn't a wise idea to upload 15 as the first attempt, obviously all of them got failed, because the person who inspect them probably couldn't distinguish between dust and birds, and so he probably just found some "Dirt or dust or other blemishes" on my (lucky me) first photo, quoted that on it, and failed all 15 with no other comments.

COME ON! It's probably not a very good photo I know, but is it a good reason to fail all other photos even though there are not even a single "BLEMISH" on them, without any quote?

Hi,

My name is Mo, I'm an amateur, and the only camera I have is a Canon 1000D (Rebel XS). So I uploaded 15 photos. I know it wasn't a wise idea to upload 15 as the first attempt, obviously all of them got failed, because the person who inspect them probably couldn't distinguish between dust and birds, and so he probably just found some "Dirt or dust or other blemishes" on my (lucky me) first photo, quoted that on it, and failed all 15 with no other comments.

COME ON! It's probably not a very good photo I know, but is it a good reason to fail all other photos even though there are not even a single "BLEMISH" on them, without any quote?

Yes: "If we fail one image, we will reject all images in all media awaiting QC at that time."

QC can distinguish between dust and birds - they don't want little specks of birds either. If there are birds in your sky, they need to be proper bird shapes of sufficient size to matter in the picture. If they are just distant birds in the sky, remove them. I failed way back at the beginning with a sky full of crows a mile away. I also failed once because of bees and insects in the air above a field. Now I remove anything which is not a clearly imaged, large enough flying object.

Hi,

"I know it wasn't a wise idea to upload 15 as the first attempt"... So don't do it...

"Probably not a very good photo" doesn't suggest much ambition...

Take a deep breath. Realise that you're playing by Alamy's rules, not yours. Read the submission guidelines, more than once. Pick four shots (or take four new ones). Examine them at 100%, to check they're in crisp focus. Zap dust-spots and birds that don't look like birds.

If you take pride in your work and edit ruthlessly, you'll pass QC no problem. If you blame others for your own shortcomings, you won't...

I know its a pain checking and then re-checking but that's what you have to do ..   Yes as John says  we all have to play by the rules as  sometimes we don't see our own mistakes first time around, If we don't find them  QC will  so that's why I do 2 or more checks on my work and yes I am only newish on here although I joined in 2007, and yes all my work was rejected so I gave it up until I had more time  to play...

I did post a few last year and they all passed OC.. Now this year I have  plenty of time to play and  I have decided to have a good go at it...So take your time and don't rush things like I did ... Good Luck  :)

This system also lets us check the images more wisely. It is not as on many other agencies that some people just dont care so much because they know that the editors will do. What happens ...... many bad images coming online since the editors have to check thousands of images per day what makes it easy to let some bad images pass. Not good for agency and worst not good for you. When client gets a bad image on your name he will avoid you next time.

When Alamy discover 1 bad image they assume that the rest are also not good edited because if you did they would be al 100 percent ok. They all have to be 100 percent and not 99.

Good luck :).

Mirco

Hi,

Show us a 100% crop, then we'll all be able to see whether or not QC can tell birds from dust.

dd

I am presently on the naughty step and am annoyed not at QC but with myself for making such a stupid mistake. Having corrected verticals on a layer and checking the layer for faults I flattened the image instead of deleting the offending layers underneath. Lesson learnt the hard way. Customers have the right to expect what they are paying good money for to be of professional quality.

I am presently on the naughty step and am annoyed not at QC but with myself for making such a stupid mistake. Having corrected verticals on a layer and checking the layer for faults I flattened the image instead of deleting the offending layers underneath. Lesson learnt the hard way. Customers have the right to expect what they are paying good money for to be of professional quality.

"annoyed not at QC but with myself for making such a stupid mistake" It's exactly that feeling / response that helps you focus on making the changes needed to help avoid it happening again.... I know that's how I felt. It forces you to reassess how you do things and add QC checks into your workflow to help spot the gaffs..... because we all make gaffs at times!

Random sampling is not an invention of Alamy. It is common in most industries. If an apple-wholesaler finds one bad apple in a container full of apples, he will send you back the whole container, no matter if he found the only bad apple, and all the others are good.

Random sampling is not an invention of Alamy. It is common in most industries. If an apple-wholesaler finds one bad apple in a container full of apples, he will send you back the whole container, no matter if he found the only bad apple, and all the others are good.

Thats a great example.... this reminds me the tax inspector when he finds a bad booking at the first sight in a companies accounting.

I first submitted a round of photos for stock 4 years ago. My pictures failed. I felt horrible and angry and did not know why they failed even though I received "feedback". I have been practicing my photography since then and continuously learning. I started submitting again this past week. I have a rejection from one agency but I was accepted here! I am so excited! I also know that I can see things in my photography now that I was not able to see back then. I finally bought LR so I am also learning post processing now and I think that is making an even bigger difference.

It can be done. Practice and patience

Good Luck

Four days is not necessarily an indication of failure. When you first submitted was the batch listed as "23 hours" or did it switch to "24 hours" before going on to "Awaiting QC"?

"24 hours" generally indicates a problem with an image or a technical issue with the upload. A prob!em with an image will result in a failure of the entire batch while an issue with the upload (a technical glitch) will result in a partial fail of just the damaged images. The partial fail will not count against you. However, if an image does fail QC the reason given will be short, something like "soft or lacking definition", "excessive noise", etc. For more information you would have to contact member services for clarification. I haven't done so but others say they are quite helpful when contacted.

To reiterate, four days in and of itself is not an indication of failure. On rare occasion I've gone up to 9-10 days and still passed. Sometimes they are just backed up with a lot of batches to review. Good luck to you!

That last batch finally passed. I've submitted 4 batches of images so far with no failures, however the first few batches were smaller. The fact that the last batch took so long made me go over this next one with a fine-tooth comb, so hopefully they'll pass too. How many images do you guys usually submit in a batch? I've only be submitting about 4 or 5, but now that I've had several batches pass, I'm getting braver and submitting larger batches.

Smallest: 1

Largest: 122

Generally between 20 and 80 images per batch. Alamy seems to approve my images twice a week, regardless of when they are submitted. The first batch submitted may wait 3-4 days while the last submission will be passed in less than 24 hours.

Basically, after a batch is approved I submit whatever I have ready immediately, even if it's only a few images. This first batch seems to set the clock ticking for QC. Then over the next few days I'll submit images in batches as they become ready. I don't fail QC often so the risk of failing multiple batches is low. If I wait and submit all the images at once it takes longer since it will take 3-4 days from date of first submission.

Largest: 122

Generally between 20 and 80 images per batch. Alamy seems to approve my images twice a week, regardless of when they are submitted. The first batch submitted may wait 3-4 days while the last submission will be passed in less than 24 hours.

Basically, after a batch is approved I submit whatever I have ready immediately, even if it's only a few images. This first batch seems to set the clock ticking for QC. Then over the next few days I'll submit images in batches as they become ready. I don't fail QC often so the risk of failing multiple batches is low. If I wait and submit all the images at once it takes longer since it will take 3-4 days from date of first submission.

Exactly the way it works for me.  Ditto to all of that bar the numbers:

Largest: 40

I think the members who have been here for many years and sell a lot of images,  yes and  making money for Alamy get their work uploaded very quick  "and rightly so" :)

Me being new to the site  don't mind waiting a few days I just keep my fingers XXX that mine all pass QC...  :huh:

Archived