Searching for lightweight laptop options

Afternoon all

Can anyone enlighten me as to what lightweight laptop options there are out there?

Ideally looking for something around 1Kg and able to run Lightroom. 

I'm asking as when I was in the Lakes etc it dawned on me that I was missing out on potential sales illustrating the glorious weather on Sunday. If I had been equipped I might have been in with a chance.

Thanks!

Jools

The thing I would be concerned about over weight would be can the laptop be calibrated showing good colors and produce great edits. My last two laptops were very cheap, under $200, which I only used to look at images, never edit them. Calibration helped a bit, but still they were awful IMHO. If I were to use a laptop for editing, I'd probably get a Mac. Then again I don't know what all is out there today as I only edit on my 27" iMac. :)

Depends on your budget. I would go for the MacBook Air personally: fast, SSD, good battery life and light... but about £1000.00 though... you pays your money, you takes your choice...

+1

Kumar

I have dual-card cameras, so RAW + jpg to diiferent cards. JPG for news is more than adequate ...and a bit faster to transfer from camera to tablet. When you're working news then literally every second counts

i then use PhotoGene to edit/caption/keyword/FTP to the Alamy server , and any other outlet ......

the app can read RAW files, but i chose not to go down that route...

km

Jools

When we backpacked round the world for a year we took the Panasonic CF-Y5. Very small and light with a built in DVD burner for backup. Having used my new iMac though I would now go down the mac route. My friend has a MacBook with flash memory and it is really really fast. When its time to replace the Panasonic (yes, of course, its getting slower and slower) it will be with a MacBook of some sort.

Col

I'm also a MacBook Air advocate - really light and slim. But it is very expensive. If you are going to use it for image processing, then you really ought to be maxing out the RAM and getting the faster processor which comes to over £1,200, and that is with the smaller flash storage. Go for the 512Gb flash drive and you are close to £1,500. The flash drive is very fast for copying and disk operations in general but doesn't have a big effect on processing speeds I find. If you are not already a Mac user, then you will also need some software - Lightroom presumably - add another £100.

My machine is getting on to 3 years old and has been superseded a few times at least. It was the fastest I could buy at the time (4Gb of RAM). I use it for backing up my images onto external drives when travelling and quick viewing but it is too slow for processing raw images from my D800 - takes ages to open an image in Photoshop. Even much smaller raw images from the D700 were slow. It's great for internet etc.

The new ones should be a lot faster of course and the speed of  image processing will depend on the camera as well s what you do: JPEGs while travelling is a good option as mentioned above.

When I submitted to Getty Editorial there was no question, macbook, loaded with memory.

Fastest cards and card readers you could buy (and I mean you could buy, not what you could afford).

Fastest internet connection you could buy (now that means 4G but 3.5G is probably good enough in main cities).

The software I used could download from two fast card readers at once and was an automated flow from ingest to ftp, everything set up in advance.

The fastest picture sale I had from pressing the shutter to sold was 6 minutes and that was using a bluetooth connection and 2G!

Its probably the only thing I would ever recommend a macbook for, you need a totally streamlined dedicated workflow. Its not important enough to be quick but quicker than the next quickest guy. Perhaps not for Alamy but that is what you are up against.

As Keith and others have said, if you want to compete then you have to spend the money, on the whole workflow, hardware, computer, software, net connection, not just a quick laptop or ipad. Wifi cards have been used for a while now to save even the card/cardreader interface.

its not important enough to be quick but quicker than the next quickest guy.

absolutely spot on

and i despair sometimes when i look at the newsfeed here and see images being filed in the evening from an event that occured first thing in the morning. Missed the boat completely...waste of time

km

Another very happy Macbook Air user here.... 11" is more than big enough for travelling. 

I tend to use it for keywording, editing selections and applying presets from my main iMac. This sort of helps speed up my processing on my return.

I have a few standard presets for basic corrections (C1Pro), colour changes / balances etc that I know look good on the main editing computer. I apply these as an automatic preset and then keyword. When I get back, it's just a case of reviewing the changes and making tweaks here and there. This helps avoid relying on the laptop screen for colour changes and more often than not, they only require minor adjustments. I sync presets / export recipes between all computers.

This tablet (Windows 8.1) seams to be good enough for Lightroom or other editing software, and the price is really good:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd

http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-11-pro/pd

I don't need a devise like this, but at that price, I think I'll go for one.

Pako

Archived