Personal use ?

Nigel Roberson

Question

Here's another example of discounted PU, it was sold for $3.90 Gross

Country: Worldwide ; Usage: Personal use ;  Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use ;  Duration 5 years
Additional Details: Artist Reference Only, any size, single client/single use

Anyone else seeing such deep discounts on PU?

Apparently the licence above was to a design company for use as a reference.

PU?? and deep discount??

Mark

2 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Bulk buy and Personal Use?? Sounds more like business use?

Mark

We do have to remember that some students buy these for college assignments, so bulk would make sense for those. Perhaps teachers to a large bulk buy for students, which officially would be against policy as they wouldn't be used for themselves, but would get a lower price as the teacher would be buying a lot more than the one student would.

Jill

2 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

We do have to remember that some students buy these for college assignments, so bulk would make sense for those. Perhaps teachers to a large bulk buy for students, which officially would be against policy as they wouldn't be used for themselves, but would get a lower price as the teacher would be buying a lot more than the one student would.

Jill

not that it affects the rate, but this would not be in line with the license.  PU is for Personal use ;  Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

not that it affects the rate, but this would not be in line with the license.  PU is for Personal use ;  Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use

If the student is buying, that would fall in the license, but I did state that if the teacher was buying, that would be outside the use as the teacher is not using the images.  Doesn't mean they don't do it. 

Jill

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

I believe that there is already a $0.99 cent price for this type of use.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I wasn't intending to - sorry. But pleased you provided some more insight into where these lower prices PU might come from.

Mark

didn't think you did,,, and i agree with you, that @Alamy really has to look into the usage of PU license, from pricing, size.... But my biggest problem still remains usage.

If someone wants to get 5 images to make 5 different cards, and the discount is what the business requires, fine....  But what was the personal use of a homeless person's tent in urban setting still baffles me. 

2 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

If the student is buying, that would fall in the license, but I did state that if the teacher was buying, that would be outside the use as the teacher is not using the images.  Doesn't mean they don't do it. 

Jill

wouldn't they require a "Presentation" License for school work?     Again technicality as they are priced similarly, but not sure how the terms of P.U. fit school work, but maybe i am missing something from the small text and footnotes of the license. 

I suspect that some artist and art students buy several to use as part of different pictures.   I had one PU sale where the text about using the photo as an artist model was in Spanish.  Nothing like that in the latest PU sale, though that was at full price.  Using the photos in a collage might be something considered to be personal use by an amateur artist.  Dunno for sure.

• Like 1

THanks to everyone for trying to explain this. The image is M8EAX6

Its a scan of 35mm from F1 test day back in 1984

It would have very limited uses for personal use

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 10 February 2021
End: 10 February 2026

$8.03 x 50% is $4 for me

Was it worth it

NO

1 hour ago, Nigel Roberson said:

THanks to everyone for trying to explain this. The image is M8EAX6

Its a scan of 35mm from F1 test day back in 1984

It would have very limited uses for personal use

I guess most of us think of 'personal use' as meaning that the customer is going to get the image printed to hang on the wall.. but there are surely other personal uses. Maybe your buyer is university student and is writing a thesis about the History of Motor Racing and has chosen to use your images as an illustration in their thesis as one plausible explanation?

Edited by Matt Ashmore
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I guess most of us think of 'personal use' as meaning that the customer is going to get the image printed to hang on the wall.. but there are surely other personal uses. Maybe your buyer is university student and is writing a thesis about the History of Motor Racing and has chosen to use your images as an illustration in their thesis as one plausible explanation?

ok, maybe i need help then.  So what is the Presentation License for then?  I totally assumed it was for such instance.  

18 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

ok, maybe i need help then.  So what is the Presentation License for then?  I totally assumed it was for such instance.  

When I think 'presentation', I think 'Powerpoint'!

I guess a presentation is much more likely to be produced by a person working for some sort of an organisation (be that a company, a church) and is going to be shown to a group of people to convey some ideas or information. During my day job, I work for a large multi-national technology company. I spend many hours on conference calls watching people give presentation be they training courses, design ideas, sales pitches... definitely not 'personal use'. But my student example is very much personal... this is the student's own work (the thesis) and will likely only be ready by their supervisor or two who will ultimately give the thesis a grade. 

I guess the boundary between presentation and personal use has it's overlaps... but at the moment, does it matter? The licenses (at list price at least) are the same! 

Edited by Matt Ashmore

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

One of the men, or a relative, wants a personal memento? Greetings card? F1 fan or collector? You can keep an eye open for misuses over the next few months.

Thats an obvious possibility.

But why are they not paying the advertised price ? £9.99  How does it get reduced to$8   Do individuals get discounts ?

Edited by Nigel Roberson

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

When I think 'presentation', I think 'Powerpoint'!

I guess a presentation is much more likely to be produced by a person working for some sort of an organisation (be that a company, a church) and is going to be shown to a group of people to convey some ideas or information. During my day job, I work for a large multi-national technology company. I spend many hours on conference calls watching people give presentation be they training courses, design ideas, sales pitches... definitely not 'personal use'. But my student example is very much personal... this is the student's own work (the thesis) and will likely only be ready by their supervisor or two who will ultimately give the thesis a grade. 

I guess the boundary between presentation and personal use has it's overlaps... but at the moment, does it matter? The licenses (at list price at least) are the same! 

thanks.  I understand they are currently same price, i guess things being so fluid, i want to make sure things are aligned with what Alamy as my agent expects when they set the model.  If tomorrow they feel pricing for one changes, it will be hard to tell someone who has been misusing licences for years to do change because of pricing.