Personal use ?

Nigel Roberson

Question

8 minutes ago, Nigel Roberson said:

I see that now thanks. Is that a discount then with more than one photographer?

I assume it's no different to finding a voucher code for somewhere like Pizza Hut.. enter the code at point of checkout and instantly get your discount. (I have never bought a picture from Alamy so this an assumption)

There's also the affiliate scheme (https://www.alamy.com/customer/help/affiliate-program.aspx) which could account for why the picture has seemingly sold for less than list price.

4 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I assume it's no different to finding a voucher code for somewhere like Pizza Hut.. enter the code at point of checkout and instantly get your discount. (I have never bought a picture from Alamy so this an assumption)

There's also the affiliate scheme (https://www.alamy.com/customer/help/affiliate-program.aspx) which could account for why the picture has seemingly sold for less than list price.

I guess so. Its 42% discount and I cant find a discount code that low.

Also who buys for private use without a 100% zoom ?

Its a commercial buyer with a big discount taking the mickey

Difficult to prove.

2 minutes ago, Nigel Roberson said:

Its a commercial buyer with a big discount taking the mickey

Difficult to prove.

You might also need to take into account exchange rates... in which country was this bought, which currency was used to pay for the image and what was the exchange rate at the time to convert to US$ ?

2 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

You might also need to take into account exchange rates... in which country was this bought, which currency was used to pay for the image and what was the exchange rate at the time to convert to US$ ?

Ime savvy with exchange rates and its not that. Its buyers who take the p***

Edited by Nigel Roberson

4 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

There are also discount codes out there os maybe the buyer used a discount code at time of checkout?

Can PU sales be made through distributors too?

Yes, PU sales can be made through distributors. Check out All Canada Photos, which distributes Alamy photos in Canada. Price is the same as on Alamy ($19.99).

16 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

You can't blame a buyer for getting an image at cheapest price they possibly can!

If its a commercial buyer using the PU route to buy images thats not right, so yes I guess discounted PU is the "cheapest price they possibly can!"

but is that good for photographers and is that what Alamy are condoning.

The photographers have no control over prices. We see the advertised prices and iether think OK thats fair and we offer the work to Alamy to sell them for a commission or we withdraw from Alamy. Ime happy with the prices listed but in the end of the day when I get 50% of a 42% discounted price its really not worth the effort. With archive work there is a lot of effort in scanning and retouching.

Its russian roulette because we never know whether we are being ripped off until its all over.

9 minutes ago, Nigel Roberson said:

If its a commercial buyer using the PU route to buy images thats not right, so yes I guess discounted PU is the "cheapest price they possibly can!"

but is that good for photographers and is that what Alamy are condoning.

The photographers have no control over prices. We see the advertised prices and iether think OK thats fair and we offer the work to Alamy to sell them for a commission or we withdraw from Alamy. Ime happy with the prices listed but in the end of the day when I get 50% of a 42% discounted price its really not worth the effort. With archive work there is a lot of effort in scanning and retouching.

Its russian roulette because we never know whether we are being ripped off until its all over.

That is what is going through my mind. I am going to give it six months or so. 

I would not like to lose my PU sales.

In the last year, most of my PU sales were for the full $19.99 and none were below $10. The PU sales were 20% of all my sales. 

My attitude is probably different from many other contributors in two ways. 1. I don't care what a buyer uses my image for. And 2. I spend zero time and energy tracking sales. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I would not like to lose my PU sales.

In the last year, most of my PU sales were for the full $19.99 and none were below $10. The PU sales were 20% of all my sales. 

My attitude is probably different from many other contributors in two ways. 1. I don't care what a buyer uses my image for. And 2. I spend zero time and energy tracking sales. 

I am beginning to think along those lines too. Although my PU licences are a minor part of my total sales just now.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

Allow me to give you and all a tip on what subjects seem to be favoured by legit PU buyers. 

Most of my PU sales are of specific signs of restaurants and pubs and Broadway show marquees in NYC. I see this as people who were in these places and had a special experience. Here's two of mine:

H98CD8.jpg

mothers-ruin-a-bar-and-bread-a-restauran

Lincoln is a charming village. Get in there and capture all the pub and bistro signs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Lincoln is a charming village.

😆😃😀

Classed as a City but I realise it is probably only the size of a village in the USA. Especially when you compare it with your cities in the USA. 

Our cities were originally called as such many years ago if the conurbation was graced with the presence of a Cathedral. Lincoln is one of the old cities. In recent years some of the larger conurbations have been given the city suffix due to larger size even though there is no Cathedral.

Allan

6 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Allan, call it a village, a town, a city, as you like. It's irrelevant. We were discussing PU subjects and sales. 

Whoops sorry to have upset you Edo. Yes I realise we were discussing PU and am very grateful for your highly experienced input. When circumstances allow I will be back out and into Lincoln village to do some more street photography.

Actually I like the term you have used to describe Lincoln. I am going to continue to use it if you don't mind.

Allan

I am also happy with PU, less happy with all these discount offers that Alamy are offering. 

The original price is very reasonable so not sure why it needs to be discounted. I saw one discount site offering 50% off Alamy prices. Ridiculous. 

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm not upset, Allan. 🙂

I stopped in Lincoln for lunch long ago. I thought it had that English village charm. That's something we don't have in the States. But you don't have the Grand Canyon. 

No all we have is Cheddar Gorge.  I think you could lose the UK in the Grand Canyon.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

27 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm not upset, Allan. 🙂

I stopped in Lincoln for lunch long ago. I thought it had that English village charm. That's something we don't have in the States. But you don't have the Grand Canyon. 

My wife was a Lincoln born lady who I met in Nottingham when we both worked at the same place. The first time I went to Lincoln was back in the early 1970's, then more times after that. I think the last time I was in Lincoln, before moving to the area, was back in the late 1980's and there was quite a bit of redevelopment going on then but there are parts you would not recognise now. At least they are doing their best to retain the feel and not allowing development in the more tourist sensitive parts.

Allan

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Allan, call it a village, a town, a city, as you like. It's irrelevant. We were discussing PU subjects and sales. 

it isn't irrelevant.  Allan call it what customers are calling it in searches 😉 

note, pretty much none of them.  2 Town and 2 City (but one may not be for the UK one).  Just make sure you include UK.  😁

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've had two PU sales so far month, both full price ($19.99). As far as subject matter goes, I'd say most of my PU sales are "travel" related, including some signs (especially neon ones).

Never been to Lincoln. Is it anywhere near Iqaluit?

I have had a PU sale but not on Alamy.

Allan

I notice that the Canadian distributor All Canada Photos lumps PU and Presentation into one use (see below), so this probably doesn't prevent those who have opted out of PU have personal use sales through them:

"Personal use - Non commercial use for presentations, cards, prints, artist reference or powerpoint - not for resale"

This might be the case with other Alamy distributors as well.

P.S. I'm OK with PU and presentation uses. I'd just like to see file sizes limited, but that isn't going to happen. For one thing, it would make things too difficult for distributors.

On 12/02/2021 at 16:20, Nigel Roberson said:

Only zooms from a limited number of Alamy's commercial customers are shown on your dashboard. So zooms from a typical PU buyer would not show.

33 minutes ago, Russell said:

Only zooms from a limited number of Alamy's commercial customers are shown on your dashboard. So zooms from a typical PU buyer would not show.

Some of my PU licenses appear to be zoomed beforehand. I guess these aren't (?) typical buyers.