Your Favourite Image?

Ed Rooney

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Not favourites, just one. And why. 

Here's mine. Men pouring bronze at a foundry in Rome. It was captured on film in the late 1960s, but except for the newspaper hat it could have been the Middle Ages. We Humans have been doing this dangerous manual deed for over 5000 years.

AN4TWG.jpg

Stunning image Edo.

You know I am a fan of "real photography."

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh, I like that one, Mark. I could use a moment like that about now. 

I know what you mean. It was November as well and a lot warmer than here.

Hang on a minute........how can you see my glass of wine? Just a guess🍷?

Edited by spacecadet

11 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Wow.

Ed, you can occasionally be persuaded to talk the talk, but you certainly walk the walk.

Before I took up photography in 1960, I once played trumpet at a jam season at Smith's loft in Lower Manhattan. 

• Love 2

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Mark, how is the Beaujolais Nouveau this year? 

A good example of the sort. Waitrose's is a bit softer and easier to drink, Majestic's is very young and will soften in a couple of months. If you like a little bit of bite, I'd pick Majestic's, but Waitrose's is £2 cheaper (£1 if you buy 6🤪🍷).

Wish we could share one, Ed.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

Wow, Edo, that's a tough question. I'm not sure that this is my "best" image, but it came to mind right away as possibly my favourite one taken many years ago in San Miguel de Allende. The girl in the party hat (made out of a drink box perhaps) came striding along at just the right moment. I was struck by the joyful colours and her own  joie de vivre. I'd have to say that of all the places I've visited, San Miguel stands out as the most photogenic. It was shot with a manual focus Minolta on Kodachrome 64 or 200, I believe. Those were my favourite slide films back then.

girl-wearing-a-party-hat-striding-down-a

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

German man living in Nicaragua working on a church clock.

MG9495.jpg

I had permission to photograph in this tiny workshop which I lit with a Godox AD200 flash and photographed with a Zeiss Batis 18mm lens.  The big trick was eliminating the distortion of his head.  The framing makes his eye look very intense.   I've shot three shoots where I thought something would license.  This hasn't.  Two out of the other shoots did. 

• Love 3
  • Like 2

Nice topic.

This is one of my favorites.... never published :(  The Sakyadhita Thilashin Nunnery School in Sagaing Myanmar

Why? Who knows, it just is. Maybe because it comes close to a perfect world.

novice-nuns-at-the-entrance-to-the-buddha-shrine-at-the-sakyadhitathilashin-nunnery-school-in-sagaing-myanmar-2A8A9XR.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

the-red-brigade-support-the-extinction-r

This is the Red Rebel group. Extinction Rebellion protestors peacefully took over Bristol bridge, it was more like a festival than a protest. They blocked the bridge with the famous pink boat and a sound system.

I like the picture because I managed to frame the pink boat , the crowd and the red rebels together.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Not favourites, just one. And why. 

Here's mine. Men pouring bronze at a foundry in Rome. It was captured on film in the late 1960s, but except for the newspaper hat it could have been the Middle Ages. We Humans have been doing this dangerous manual deed for over 5000 years.

men-pouring-bronze-at-a-foundry-in-rome-

Edo a superb image. It reminds me of Joseph Wright of Derby

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/wright-an-iron-forge-t06670

This was the hardest challenge of them all Edo. Number one favourite since the beginning of times?

As ever for me, no people in my favourite shot.

Why favourite? For me, it's not about technical perfection or even salability, it's all to do with emotions associated with the image.

It had to be Brazil. This is Lençois Maranhenses in Maranhão. For 6 months of the year, seasonal lakes form in between the white sand dunes. Flowers whose seeds were buried in the dried mud bloom, even fish appear.

I had chartered the small plane whose silhouette can be seen. I had a special arrangement with the pilot to have the door removed. At the back of the Cessna, my dear OH was holding on to his cap with one hand while grabbing the front seat with the other as he discovered that his seat belt was broken. E o Brasil !!

AGAG5N.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 4
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Ed, your image of men pouring bronze is spectacular! It really does look like the Middle Ages.

I ended up choosing this one taken at dusk at North Cottesloe Beach here in Perth. The 3 second exposure made it come out like a watercolour painting, helped along by the streaky clouds and soft light.

soft-colours-at-dusk-at-north-cottesloe-beach-perth-western-australia-2A1WPRK.jpg

Very ethereal, moody, atmospheric (oops, getting carried away with my string of keywords). I like it.

Actually, I just had a peep at your tags. Perhaps add 'Motion Blur'. There has been searches for that in the past.

Edited by gvallee