Your Favourite Image?

Ed Rooney

two-children-an-8-year-old-boy-and-his-6-year-old-sister-jumping-and-throwing-playing-with-autumn-leaves-2D6HXX9.jpg

I will probably give you another answer tomorrow, but this one is hard to beat. The kids spent ages raking the leaves in to a pile next to our vegetable box, and then spent their day throwing them and jumping into them. This was one of the early ones and the uninhibited happiness on her face is a marvel. For me its clearly the photo of 2020 and a competitor for best photo ever.

Edited by Colin Woods
  • Love 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

Edo's rules.   I'd suggest taking the other one down, but that's Edo's call.

Please, no, MizBrown. Sorry. And I'm too ill to get into a debate.

Part of my motivation for this post came from my other recent post, Which? I was surprised to find that some members had their most trouble with culling. I hadn't even thought about that as a problem. 

2 hours ago, Colin Woods said:
This was one of the early ones and the uninhibited happiness on her face is a marvel. For me its clearly the photo of 2020 and a competitor for best photo ever.

A marvel indeed! What great looking kids.

This has been a very difficult choice. I whittled my likely choices down to a short list of around 20 and dithered for ages as I liked all as much as each other. I finally chose this image from the amazing Notting Hill Carnival from August 2017. The young girls parents were just out of the frame to the right. I all ways loved the carnival, but hated leaving late and fighting my way through the crowds, closed ally ways and one way jammed roads to get to the nearest tube that was open. The picture tells the story.

london-uk-27th-august-2017-notting-hill-

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Bionic said:

I think mine would have to be this one, a slightly different edit of it was in my first batch of three images that I uploaded to Alamy and was also my first sale. 

old-traditional-wooden-fishing-boat-by-t

I have to say this one is a favorite. It has all the things in it to make a great image in my eyes.  I have a passion for old things, and here is an old boat and an old building. Great foreground and a lovely sky.  Water is always a plus for me. 

• Love 1

This young lad had just come back from his first fishing trip with his dad. I think its a right of passage for a youngster to catch his first fish. He insisted on cleaning it himself. You can see he got himself into a right mess covered in fish blood and guts. His mum his just out of shot muttering a long sentence that included  "home, shower, filthy, your father should know better". The expression on his face made it for me. He will remember that holiday for ever.   

castletownshend-west-cork-ireland-6th-july-2018-the-heat-wave-continues-in-west-cork-and-the-local-mackerel-fishing-trips-for-holiday-makers-are-making-the-most-of-it-stephen-kearney-just-returned-from-a-mackerel-fishing-trip-with-his-father-seen-here-filleting-his-catch-for-supper-the-lad-has-all-the-makings-of-a-fine-fisherman-temperatures-are-expected-to-remain-high-for-the-rest-of-the-week-credit-aphperspectivealamy-live-news-P7G3HK.jpg

• Love 4

I have so many landscapes, cityscapes and seascapes that I love, but I've gone for a portrait here. I was on a cruise from Sweden to Russia and we had a 4-hour stop in Tallinn, Estonia smack in the middle of a very hot day with long shadows everywhere, so I decided to chat with various shopkeepers, stall keepers and  waitresses along my travels and concentrate on portraits. I was struck by how beautiful the women of all ages were there, and how generous with their time. This was my favorite. It has not sold and I'm not sure if it ever will but it reminds me that the primary reason we travel is not just to see far away places, but also to meet people from those places.

Ienvironmental-portrait-of-beautiful-estonian-shopkeeper-in-the-marketplace-tallinn-estonia-with-souvenirs-wool-woolen-goods-and-crafts-for-sale-2A20BK8.jpg

• Love 5
  • Like 1

Thanks so much Michael! I love doing editorial portraits (both posed and candid) and really miss it since that was a lot of my assignment work. I have not done as much of it with my travel work and so this and the others I shot that day are among my favorites. I still recall chatting with her and she was as charming as she looks. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

Thanks so much Michael! I love doing editorial portraits (both posed and candid) and really miss it since that was a lot of my assignment work. I have not done as much of it with my travel work and so this and the others I shot that day are among my favorites. I still recall chatting with her and she was as charming as she looks. 

I love this shot also.

• Thanks 1

I checked with a police piper I know in Brooklyn. he says Irish bagpipes are not blown from the mouth. and kilts are worn in both nations. so that piper is a Scott. 

here's a snap I got last year in Galway. he was playing.

TW48KX.jpg

• Love 1

A94EEB.jpg

Asaroka, Highlands province, Papua New Guinea in 1985 on amateur negative film

The moment of eye contact with the boy second from the right makes it for me, that and the fact that I didn't expect to be able to make any use of these old negs.

This one was used as a big spread on the back page of the Sunday Telegraph years ago as a travel competition for a good fee and used as the answer and thumbnail in the next Sunday edition. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 6