Google Books DACS search tip

This might sound weird but it has worked. I've just found nearly 20 new books for DACS

Instead of using just 'geogphotos' throw in a random additional word - it doesn't have to have any link with your photography. I have very few images of France"

Somehow it just throws up images than simply searching for 'geogphotos' - sort of cuts through the predictable; Google search results.

Did one for 'geogphotos Italy' and it threw up a book about Andalucia with one of mine. 

Try it:

I0000I3WnuIM0Qhw.jpg

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2

• geogphotos changed the title to Google Books DACS search tip

Just tried it too. Doesn't work for me but that is because I do not think I have any images in books. Search worked in as much Google told me it could not find anything other than what is on Alamy.

👻

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

No, that would mostly get you links to your own images on Alamy. Too many of those.

I mean as a start point for a search. I have a saved search which precludes all the places where I know my images are located.

E.g. A (redacted! 😉) search for an old pseudo of mine would be: "danny callcut alamy" -alamy.com -alamy.it -alamyimages.fr -alamy.pt -alamy.es -alamy.de  -dannycallcutphotography.com -calcut -calcutt -"call cut"

So the pseudo "danny callcut" minus all the places I don't want to see. Slims it down to the required results. "danny callcut italy" would just throw up irrelevant results.

Edited by losdemas

1 hour ago, losdemas said:

Struggling here. Isn't this just the same as typing "geogphotos Alamy"?

When I do that - as I must have done 100 times - I get the same images and then it fades off into irrelevance. So I had assumed that there was nothing else to find. But decided to experiment. 

So I started typing 'geogphotos + Wales' and saw a new book. Then carried on with + Ireland , + horse, + Italy, + horse, + red, + tree, etc etc

And this served up books that I had never found before some dating back over ten years and some recently published. Very often the 'wildcard' keyword had nothing at all to do with me just that it and geogphotos appeared in a book's details/credits together.

Of course some searches didn't find anything.

I ended up taking a random word from the most recent search and using that for the next search. 

Until I got fed up. Will try again tomorrow. 

Edited by geogphotos

OK, so basically, this works for you because you have so many results and sifting through them all is challenging!

In my case (relatively very few! 😂😭), then adding an extra word is pointless as all my results (with my restricted search, e.g: "danny callcut alamy" -alamy.com -alamy.it -alamyimages.fr -alamy.pt -alamy.es -alamy.de  -dannycallcutphotography.com -calcut -calcutt -"call cut" -POD_SITES -OTHER_AGENTS -ETC, ETC) are returned on one page. So they don't need restricting further - they need expanding!!! 😂

Another option (when using the image search option: ALL | IMAGES | NEWS etc) is to restrict this to time periods, by selecting 'tools' to the right, then changing it from 'anytime' to past year, past month, past 24 hours, whatever. That's what I do when I search for Alamy images in the Have You Found threads. Choosing to view only recent time periods narrows it down a lot - although, strangely this can be somewhat inaccurate at times. Unsure why.

7 minutes ago, losdemas said:

OK, so basically, this works for you because you have so many results and sifting through them all is challenging!

In my case (relatively very few! 😂😭), then adding an extra word is pointless as all my results (with my restricted search, e.g: "danny callcut alamy" -alamy.com -alamy.it -alamyimages.fr -alamy.pt -alamy.es -alamy.de  -dannycallcutphotography.com -calcut -calcutt -"call cut" -POD_SITES -OTHER_AGENTS -ETC, ETC) are returned on one page. So they don't need restricting further - they need expanding!!! 😂

Another option (when using the image search option: ALL | IMAGES | NEWS etc) is to restrict this to time periods, by selecting 'tools' to the right, then changing it from 'anytime' to past year, past month, past 24 hours, whatever. That's what I do when I search for Alamy images in the Have You Found threads. Choosing to view only recent time periods narrows it down a lot - although, strangely this can be somewhat inaccurate at times. Unsure why.

Thanks for the information.

Not sure about having so many results. Just searching for my name does not find these 'hidden' ones. 

But I guess that I do have, relatively,  quite a lot of potential 'hidden' ones to try and find. 

6 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks for the information.

Not sure about having so many results. Just searching for my name does not find these 'hidden' ones. 

But I guess that I do have, relatively,  quite a lot of potential 'hidden' ones to try and find. 

Google certainly has its own strange way of returning results and this is very interesting. I've tried it, and it doesn't work at all for me. But then, given my small port and sales volume, perhaps this isn't surprising.

Be fascinated to find others findings on this when searching their own pseudos.

Edited by losdemas

2 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

This opens up new horizons. As you said Ian, searching on Colstravel Alamy just gives me links back to my alamy images, and I gave up looking. For DACS do I just need the book title and ISBN or do I need a screen shot of the photo as proof?

Are you restricting the search to books only?

For the DACs publication history claim, you need the ISBN or ISSN and the Title. It's always good to have a screenshot, even if it's only of the image credit page. DACS don't ask for this, but it could be useful to have in case asked for evidence to support a claim.

Mark

24 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

This opens up new horizons. As you said Ian, searching on Colstravel Alamy just gives me links back to my alamy images, and I gave up looking. For DACS do I just need the book title and ISBN or do I need a screen shot of the photo as proof?

I use a Spreadsheet that DACS provided back in 2017 when this started. You don't need a screenshot.

ISBN

Title 

Number of images published in it

I then use a column to record page number, publisher, year of pub but that is for my own information

I0000KFZZk8KMUBA.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

• 1 month later...
On 18/11/2020 at 12:27, geogphotos said:

I use a Spreadsheet that DACS provided back in 2017 when this started. You don't need a screenshot.

ISBN

Title 

Number of images published in it

I then use a column to record page number, publisher, year of pub but that is for my own information

Quick question on the logistics, do you resubmit the same books year after year? I only submitted a direct claim once last year and now I'm wondering if I should repeat the same books I listed already in my new claim. Unsure how the claim works if it's tied to the amount of books sold (meaning more royalties could come in in subsequent years) or just the single instance ISBN (one-time royalty).

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

I just add the new ones since the previous claim. I'm hoping that's correct!

I believe that is what DACS ask for. It seems they keep records of claims already made.

Allan

10 hours ago, SvetlanaSF said:

Quick question on the logistics, do you resubmit the same books year after year? I only submitted a direct claim once last year and now I'm wondering if I should repeat the same books I listed already in my new claim. Unsure how the claim works if it's tied to the amount of books sold (meaning more royalties could come in in subsequent years) or just the single instance ISBN (one-time royalty).

If you log in you will find that your account contains the details you have already entered. So as above just add any new ones.

I just noticed that DACS lists websites as a source of a publication for Part 1 of the claims. Has anyone claimed royalties for photos published on a website? That will be quite a bit of work if I tried to dig up the photos published on any and all websites...