Google Books DACS search tip

Lots of extras but it is really interesting how changing the search parameters brings up a variety of different books. I know it's better now that google doesn't put the entire book online, but boy did the old way make it easier to find how your image was used - though I'm sure it also made it harder to sell books when you could read so much online, though there's nothing like owning the real thing IMHO. 

Anyhow, good tip. 

I even found my work in a book almost entirely in Russian since my name was still in English. Not good for DACS but fun to find nonetheless. 

3 hours ago, SvetlanaSF said:

I just noticed that DACS lists websites as a source of a publication for Part 1 of the claims. Has anyone claimed royalties for photos published on a website? That will be quite a bit of work if I tried to dig up the photos published on any and all websites...

I thought DACS was only for print publications (not including newspapers) and for TV. Did something change?

18 hours ago, Marianne said:

I thought DACS was only for print publications (not including newspapers) and for TV. Did something change?

It surprised me too but here it is in black and white.

https://www.dacs.org.uk/for-artists/payback/frequently-asked-questions#FAQ169

UK websites are mentioned. We need to know more about this.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It surprised me too but here it is in black and white.

https://www.dacs.org.uk/for-artists/payback/frequently-asked-questions#FAQ169

UK websites are mentioned. We need to know more about this.

Could this mean only UK websites connected with print magazines (e.g. digital version of a print article) and books, not UK websites in general?

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Could this mean only UK websites connected with print magazines (e.g. digital version of a print article) and books, not UK websites in general?

Sounds logical- using the website as proof- but who knows. It's the first time it's been mentioned- in the past websites were on the list of places you specifically couldn't claim for.

I suggest one of us asks the question on Monday and puts up the answer here.

On 18/11/2020 at 16:04, geogphotos said:

This might sound weird but it has worked. I've just found nearly 20 new books for DACS

Instead of using just 'geogphotos' throw in a random additional word - it doesn't have to have any link with your photography. I have very few images of France"

Somehow it just throws up images than simply searching for 'geogphotos' - sort of cuts through the predictable; Google search results.

Did one for 'geogphotos Italy' and it threw up a book about Andalucia with one of mine. 

Try it:

Just tried it using my various pseudonyms and it worked a treat, thanks for the tip. Do you submit your own DACS return or does Alamy do it for you?

3 hours ago, Jansos said:

Just tried it using my various pseudonyms and it worked a treat, thanks for the tip. Do you submit your own DACS return or does Alamy do it for you?

I do my own, Alamy is not the only place I sell. I can't see any reason to hand over 50% to Alamy on my sales with them given no control or certainty over what they would claim for me or how much effort they would put in.  The 50% I would give them is likely to be greater than what they gave in return. 

So, the end result is that money gets unclaimed.

• Love 1

On 30/12/2020 at 22:09, John Mitchell said:

An interesting read. I am going to have to carry out more investigation work relevant to my port with Alamy.

Allan

• 4 weeks later...

This is also worth a try with Google Books  -- search "photo credits + pseudo/name + Alamy" or "photography credits + pseudo/name + alamy".

This can sometimes bring up the list of photo credits in books. I've had some luck with it.

Edited by John Mitchell

Hello everyone, you can help me
I found a couple of images published in the book and accredited with another agency (no alamy). To claim the DACS do I have to register on the site and indicate the ISBN codes? As for images sold on alamy and published in a book, does alamy think about claiming the DACS?
It is a mechanism that I do not understand ... thanks !!!!
I also ask you if the DACS can also be claimed for monthly magazine publications (in Italy).
Lorenza

14 hours ago, lorenza said:

Hello everyone, you can help me
I found a couple of images published in the book and accredited with another agency (no alamy). To claim the DACS do I have to register on the site and indicate the ISBN codes? As for images sold on alamy and published in a book, does alamy think about claiming the DACS?
It is a mechanism that I do not understand ... thanks !!!!
I also ask you if the DACS can also be claimed for monthly magazine publications (in Italy).
Lorenza

Alamy will submit your DACS claim for you if you ask them to. 

You can only claim UK magazines as far as I know. If you file the DACS claim yourself, the images that you claim for do not have to be ones licensed through Alamy.

There are other forum members who can answer your questions than I can. Good luck!