No sales, what I'm doing is wrong.

ArtNeli

Hi there. Are on Alamy since 2015 and had no sales? Just curious as if your diverse and decent collection is not selling for these years I am just wasting my time here hoping to make some sales too

Edited by Pawel Piotr

Good day to you, Pavel! Thank you for responding. There were 2 sales after registration, got on the site by accident. Sending started, but there are no more results. Apparently, the works do not correspond to the audience market.

Edited by ArtNeli

I only took a quick look but I saw some keywords that did not correspond to the actual image. "Shoveling snow" on a photo of beets. Something about boats in the view of a mosque. This will definitely hurt you. I'm surprised at the lack of sales though. 

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Paulette, Thank You! you really need to re-check and correct all the keywords. I saw my mistakes. But there are no sales, there were only 3 sales. A few more questions, what does the green stripe and orange - on sale mean? Does it matter what to put in this field? - License type - Rights managed (default) - Royalty free (recommended)? Does it matter to Sell only to the editorial staff and Exclusively to Alami?

17 hours ago, ArtNeli said:

Hello there! No sales, what I'm doing is wrong. Should I continue uploading photos?

https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?pl=1&plno=426084

Thank you for your answers

Hi Nailya,

Firstly, your pictures are very good and you're obviously comfortable editing them.

You're quite right to recognise that you need to provide photographs for buyers rather than just photographing random subjects. Each stock agency may have a different emphasis; Alamy is primarily into editorial pictures. Keep a look out for stock photos in books, newspapers, magazines, online newspapers and online generally. You don't necessarily need to copy pictures that you find, but can you imagine your pictures appearing to illustrate e.g. an article about a particular subject? Try and find a niche area if you can where there aren't a lot of pictures.

doTerra essential oil bottles. Geranium essential oil. Essential doterra oil. 27 August 2020. - Stock Image

It's good that you're showing a person in this image. People doing things in images sell. Two comments - it's very dark overall. The hand looks well exposed, the bottle which is the actual subject has both very bright highlights and dark shadows. Secondly, the industry as a whole has moved away from stock images which look deliberately staged. You very rarely see a model holding something in their hands and smiling directly at the camera published anywhere now. You would be better off making it look as if the person was actually using the oil in everyday life rather than holding it up to the camera (still staged, but more 'natural' looking).

You've got a lot of similars. Not only that, there's a lot of pictures of cats and dogs (your pets?). I know we haven't been able to get out so much because of lockdown so there's a lack of subjects to photograph, but if you put 'cat' as a search term in Alamy you get over 1,000,000 results. So there's a lot of competition - your pictures would need to be very exceptional or unusual to stand out. You probably want 3-5 pictures of a single subject maximum as a rule of thumb (depending on the subject). You've got at least 33 images of a self propelled crop sprayer. None of them are close ups. You can try photographing a subject from different viewpoints if possible, e.g. from above, low view, from close up, far away etc... 

The problem with having many images of the same subject is that it is likely to hurt your CTR ranking - this affects how high up your pictures appear in searched by clients on Alamy. If your pictures appear on searches, but are not zoomed, your CTR drops.

You've got a lot of pictures of Mandala colouring therapy. Is it your hand in the pictures? You could have set up the camera on a tripod on a 10s timer to get a picture of yourself colouring in - this would be much more likely to sell.

Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia. Spasskaya tower of the Kazan Kremlin- the main tower of his travel and architectural monument of the XVI century. - Stock Image

You're in Russia I assume? So there's lots of opportunities to get pictures of landmarks that may sell well. Particularly if you can get an unusual viewpoint if the subject has been photographed a lot. Just on composition for this photo, it's a wide angle shot, but the sky is pretty boring and it dominates the picture.

I hope this helps. Just as a comparison, I have 2,900 pictures on sale and 44 sales so far this year.

Steve

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Steve F said:

Hello, Steve! Oh, so thoroughly and effectively sorted out! Thanks! there is something to work with and think about) You will have to re-examine everything and even delete it. I am very glad that you answered!

Just now, Steve F said:

• Thanks 1

Don't worry about the green stripe. Just put keywords that truly correspond to the image -- as many as possible without being misleading. I have all my photos as RM but don't have any experience otherwise. It just seems to me I'd rather know something about where my image is going and not give permission for it to be used many ways. Others, I'm sure, feel differently. You don't need to mark anything as editorial only unless it is something you would never want to appear in an ad. By having an image exclusive to Alamy you make a larger amount of $. That image must not appear in another agency though you may sell it on your own website or a website that only sells prints.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pawel Piotr said:

Hi there. Are on Alamy since 2015 and had no sales? Just curious as if your diverse and decent collection is not selling for these years I am just wasting my time here hoping to make some sales too

If you just started here, and only have around 400 photos up, don't worry other than to make sure your keywords are specifically pertinent to each photograph and that your captions give as complete a description as possible in 150 characters.

The first poster has other problems.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MizBrown said:

If you just started here, and only have around 400 photos up, don't worry other than to make sure your keywords are specifically pertinent to each photograph and that your captions give as complete a description as possible in 150 characters.

The first poster has other problems.

Thanks - my keywords are not bad I think and with searching by a region/town/area my landscapes after few days come often on the first page here. Some even starts to come up in google search. 

Someone told me that titles are not that important here as the keywords.

400 images - yes. I think quality first then quantity.

On top of it, all images that I upload here are my recent images taken within time I'm here (few months). Not uploading oldies or images that aren't current anymore. With this speed I should definitely pass 1k by the end of the year but as I said, quality is more important to me than passing certain amount of imagery. 

Best

P

Edited by Pawel Piotr

18 hours ago, Pawel Piotr said:

Someone told me that titles are not that important here as the keywords.

Titles, or captions, are definitely important in searches. Describe the image as thoroughly and as accurately as you can. That way, as well as your keywords, your images will come up higher in any relevant searches.

John.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stokie said:

Titles, or captions, are definitely important in searches. Describe the image as thoroughly and as accurately as you can. That way, as well as your keywords, your images will come up higher in any relevant searches.

John.

Thanks John, improved some of my titles already. I guess I will be more detailed with time 

Forget the green/orange line, just concentrate on good, relevant keywords and captions. Upload more pics, regularly.  To only have 904 pics in your port after 5 years shows a lack of enthusiasm.  Get rid of the similars, it'll hurt your ranking.  Shoot 'people doing things'.  Good luck.

Edited by Colblimp
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Забудьте о зеленой / оранжевой линии, просто сосредоточьтесь на хороших, релевантных ключевых словах и заголовках. Регулярно загружайте больше фотографий. То, что через 5 лет в вашем порту будет только 904 фотографии, свидетельствует об отсутствии энтузиазма. Избавьтесь от похожих, это повредит вашему рейтингу. Стреляйте в людей, которые что-то делают. Удачи.

16 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Забудьте о зеленой / оранжевой линии, просто сосредоточьтесь на хороших, релевантных ключевых словах и заголовках. Регулярно загружайте больше фотографий. То, что через 5 лет в вашем порту будет только 904 фотографии, свидетельствует об отсутствии энтузиазма. Избавьтесь от похожих, это повредит вашему рейтингу. Стреляйте в людей, которые что-то делают. Удачи.

Благодарю,  Colblimp! very useful advice, thank You!!

On 23/09/2020 at 11:32, Colblimp said:

On 23/09/2020 at 11:32, Colblimp said:

Thank You, Colblimp! very useful advice, thank you !!  Is there an Editorial on this site?

Edited by ArtNeli

Privet Nailya,

Sorry no KOI-8 fonts on this machine.

I did spend over ten years in the Soviet Union and what happened after... and my images are 

licensed by Alamy as well as the other major libraries often, but none of those images include

trees or cats.  I am an editorial photographer and shoot news, which is a strong point for Alamy, but

I feel it is important to mention that "daily news" does not do well in a stock library, the images need

to illustrate an ongoing issue.  FYI I have hundreds of images of Yeltsin, but only a few on Alamy and other

libraries.  I also NEVER put the same image on multiple agencies.

Life in 2020 in Moscow or the former Soviet Union is interesting if it is done with the current 

issues in mind.  A Russian cat is not, sorry.

Where in the "former Soviet Union" are you?  My favorite apartment in Moscow was near Metro Universitet.

Chuck 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Where in the "former Soviet Union" are you?  My favorite apartment in Moscow was near Metro Universitet.

Chuck 

Have you ever crossed paths with Peter Hitchens, by any chance?

Just now, Cal said:

Privet Nailya,

Sorry no KOI-8 fonts on this machine.

I did spend over ten years in the Soviet Union and what happened after... and my images are 

licensed by Alamy as well as the other major libraries often, but none of those images include

trees or cats.  I am an editorial photographer and shoot news, which is a strong point for Alamy, but

I feel it is important to mention that "daily news" does not do well in a stock library, the images need

to illustrate an ongoing issue.  FYI I have hundreds of images of Yeltsin, but only a few on Alamy and other

libraries.  I also NEVER put the same image on multiple agencies.

Life in 2020 in Moscow or the former Soviet Union is interesting if it is done with the current 

issues in mind.  A Russian cat is not, sorry.

Chuck 

1 minute ago, Cal said:

Yes I have but did not know him well.  

Why?

On 26/09/2020 at 00:20, Chuck Nacke said:

Если хочешь поговорить? Меня легко найти, и я счастлив поговорить с вами.

Ты в москве?  

Чак

Good afternoon, Chuck

Inchiguin correctly wrote, I'm from Tatarstan. I'm not quite used to chats, apparently there are several people in the conversation at the same time.

Sometimes it is not clear who answers whom. I haven't been in chat rooms for a long time, especially since the Alamy site was closed for

participants from Russia for a long time.

* Yes I have a cat ) apparently he is not interesting to anyone, except me. Your work is very interesting, reports from Russia!

* I'm always in touch, too. Thank you for your answer!

Edited by ArtNeli

On 17/09/2020 at 09:40, Pawel Piotr said:

Thanks John, improved some of my titles already. I guess I will be more detailed with time 

On your first page, maybe elsewhere also, you have some single blooms with the stems coming from the corner. I doubt any of those will ever sell. Most flower licenses are more like your bunch of sunflowers. They are usually bought for use by plant nurseries, or magazines or newspapers illustrating an article. Maybe even for a calendar featuring different flowers each month. They will be looking for a colorful spread, or bunch of flowers.

Instead, take a horizontal, a vertical, a closeup of one in context in the Pot or flower bed rather than looking up at the sky.

I tried the “sunflower in the sky” and it has never even been zoomed. But I’ve sold ones like I’ve suggested.

Both of these have licensed in the past year.

goldflame-honeysuckle-lonicera-x-heckrota-closeup-of-pink-flowers-drenched-with-

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

On your first page, maybe elsewhere also, you have some single blooms with the stems coming from the corner. I doubt any of those will ever sell. Most flower licenses are more like your bunch of sunflowers. They are usually bought for use by plant nurseries, or magazines or newspapers illustrating an article. Maybe even for a calendar featuring different flowers each month. They will be looking for a colorful spread, or bunch of flowers.

Instead, take a horizontal, a vertical, a closeup of one in context in the Pot or flower bed rather than looking up at the sky.

I tried the “sunflower in the sky” and it has never even been zoomed. But I’ve sold ones like I’ve suggested.

Both of these have licensed in the past year.

Betty, this is a really good tip!! Hmmm, maybe I need to stop doing my single macro flower shots.... But they're so pretty 🙃 I had thought recently I should start doing shots that show more context as well, you've just made it concrete for me.

Steve

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 1