No sales, what I'm doing is wrong.

ArtNeli

On 28/09/2020 at 10:51, gvallee said:

Once as I was leaving a job in London to go to Brazil for several months, I was given a leaving card signed by the whole office. One comment was 'J'ai envie de toi'. I pointed out to the guy that it was unlikely that's what he meant.... ('J'ai envie de toi' = I fancy you, 'Je t'envie' = I envy you). LOL!!

And yes, as every linguist will know, Google Translate is utter c**p. Hence the Alamy fiasco of automatic translation in other languages for their foreign offices. Especially German according to various upset threads in this Forum.

Once as I was leaving a job in London to go to Brazil for several months, I was given a leaving card signed by the whole office. One comment was 'J'ai envie de toi'. I pointed out to the guy that it was unlikely that's what he meant.... ('J'ai envie de toi' = I fancy you, 'Je t'envie' = I envy you). LOL!!

And yes, as every linguist will know, Google Translate is utter c**p. Hence the Alamy fiasco of automatic translation in other languages for their foreign offices. Especially German according to various upset threads in this Forum.

Gvallee -  Most likely, You were liked  a colleague at the time, if a woman had said this, she would have expressed it differently. From now, I will translate the text more carefully)

Edited by ArtNeli
  • Love 1

I think you're a very good photographer, Nailya. And the best advice has already been given by the savvy folks in the forum. Sooooo, let me just add:

1. Buyers make stock photo buys by searching with keywords (tags).

2. In 5 years you have unloaded just 1,000 images. 

3. Revisiting the same subject (that classical head for instance) does not help you. 

The very best of luck to you in the future. 

Edo

• Like 1

On 27/09/2020 at 12:05, Steve F said:

Hi Nailya,

Well done for writing in a foreign language. You might not get answers to some of your questions from other Forum members, because some of your text doesn't always make sense in English. Be aware that automatic translating programmes, including Google Translate, are not actually very good!

Steve

p.s. Much as I'd like to have a field day with French or German, the common language of this Forum is English; if you want to write to someone in Russian, you're probably best off doing that outside the Forum with personal messaging.

allez, tout le monde comprends le français (basé sur la façon que les François sont dans les autres pays)  😁

On 27/09/2020 at 12:28, Steve F said:

Well maybe I should clarify, Google Translate is very hit and miss! Especially for saying anything more complicated than 'hello, how are you'.

T'as peut-être raison, mais la boîte, c'est anglais, et le keywording et captions sont aussi en anglais. Et je ne crois pas que les gens ont envie d'avoir des messages en milliers de langues différentes ne c'est pas?

p.s. 'box' is French slang for company 🙃

p.p.s. It doesn't actually seem to be stated anywhere that there's an official forum language, have changed my post.

le "keywording".  ça ressemble au massacre que les français font à la langue française.   c'est ajouter des mots-clés.  

(this is my French Canadian side 😉)

Edited by meanderingemu

11 hours ago, gvallee said:

the French is also bad on many technical terms. i've had to actually go add a few French specific naming conventions on same images taken in France, for them to come up in searches.

• Love 1

On 27/09/2020 at 05:27, Steve F said:

Betty, this is a really good tip!! Hmmm, maybe I need to stop doing my single macro flower shots.... But they're so pretty 🙃 I had thought recently I should start doing shots that show more context as well, you've just made it concrete for me.

Steve

I’m not saying a single bloom won’t work, just not so much from below, coming from the corner, sky as background. Especially if leaves and a bud or two is shown. But most of who’s looking want to see the flower in context. How showy a grouping is, what the foliage looks like.

I have shots of a flowering vine. Not the one above. I’ve taken closeups showing one bloom, of a bunch of blooms, then backed off and took shots of the whole vine. When I looked on Alamy, most of other peoples images of this flowering vine were closeups. In searches showing my offerings, inevitably the ones I sold repeatedly were the ones showing the whole vine with numerous blooms, although other offerings were looked at. Mine might have been a couple out of 20 zooms.

I’ve had some of the “ bunches of flowers” zoomed. Not sure if those ever sold. Maybe. Just not as often. Never any of the single bloom shots.  Most of the time I consider a single bloom as an artsy image. Maybe something to hang on the wall. Not necessarily editorial.

if you look at my recent uploads, I have some single blooms and closeups of some wildflowers taken at a state park.  The white ones were singles, but they bloomed singly for the most part.  And the milkweeds, I took close and more distant, trying to cover what might be wanted.

See, I do take singles. Mainly for someone searching for pollen or stamens.  But I also have the wider shot like the one above.

rose-of-sharon-pink-flower-closeup-althe

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 27/09/2020 at 06:46, Chris Burrows said:

I would not give up the "single macro flower shots"  There is definitely a demand for these if they are captioned with full details of species and cultivar if applicable, as yours are.. Mix them up with wider shots by all means but carry on with some of them.  

I haven’t given up the singles, I do take those along with the wider shots. Just not in the looking up, out of a corner, sky way. I cover it all, just not so much the “artsy” way.

Like this:

2CGAA7T.jpg

and this:

2CGAA86.jpg
This has never been zoomed or sold.

AYTT8N.jpg

This has been zoomed

AYTTAR.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

Just took a count. 26 sold with multiple blooms, 3 of singles.
Many more of singles but they were sold for the butterfly or bee on them.

While I don’t specialize in plants and flowers, I never turn down opportunities to photograph them. That’s why I bought my macro. For flowers, bees, butterflies, and bugs. That macro takes fine bunches-of-flowers images, too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2020 at 15:44, Ed Rooney said:

I think you're a very good photographer, Nailya. And the best advice has already been given by the savvy folks in the forum. Sooooo, let me just add:

1. Buyers make stock photo buys by searching with keywords (tags).

2. In 5 years you have unloaded just 1,000 images. 

3. Revisiting the same subject (that classical head for instance) does not help you. 

The very best of luck to you in the future. 

Edo

Ed Rooney. Thank You for Your advice! very Valuable to me!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nailya,

As usual I agree with Edo,  You are a good photographer, but your captioning and keywording needs to improve.

Also keep in mind that I have been contributing to Alamy since 2004, even though the Forum says 2005? and a

still have less than 2,000 images on Alamy, in my opinion sometimes less is more.  Select wisely.

Best,

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
grammer
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/10/2020 at 08:45, Chuck Nacke said:

Nailya,

As usual I agree with Edo,  You are a good photographer, but your captioning and keywording needs to improve.

Also keep in mind that I have been contributing to Alamy since 2004, even though the Forum says 2005? and a

still have less than 2,000 images on Alamy, in my opinion sometimes less is more.  Select wisely.

Best,

Chuck

Chuck, good day!

Thank you, for assessment!

I realized that it is necessary to take time and "comb out" all the pictures and tags) and remove duplicates.

Tags apparently play an important role in the search engine. NO SALES)   

*I noticed how carefully the words are chosen for each picture, that is, a very accurate description of what is happening in the photo is necessary.

Thank you!

Edited by ArtNeli

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

And, Nailya—captions are even more important than tags. 

Good day, Ed

Yes,  will have to fully view and edit each photo. Thanks!!!

License type Rights managed (default) - Royalty free (recommended) -  What role do they play? I always leave - Rights managed (default)