....and keeping it in the family - CMKN2N - (today's live news) is my son's car after a discussion with a tree near our home -  the conversation went something like this  " Hi Dad, do you want a good set on a car beaten up by a tree.....well, there is one just down the road - and could you bring a Land Rover and winch......."

i was caught by that wave.....

one dead camera

one big insurance claim

km

Hi Keith were you one of the three people I could see in that clip?

Allan

Lost my first proper camera to a wave. Pentax ME, insurance paid for an ME Super.

Can't compete on the size of the wave though, that looked to have been a whopper! You're lucky to be around.

We could have used you in NYC last year, Keith, to cover Sandy, the worst hurricane that ever hit this city. Me? I was home wrapped in a down comforter, and then without electricity for five days. 

Do you get compensation for loss of power in the states?

In England some people without power for that length of time are getting around £250 ($375 approx).

Allan

Great photos Keith.  I was wondering how you protected yourself and gear in those storms.  The salt water must play havoc.  I don't have any experience of that in Cambridgeshire (if I do post similar images from here....be worried...very worried!)

Great photos Keith.  I was wondering how you protected yourself and gear in those storms.  The salt water must play havoc.  I don't have any experience of that in Cambridgeshire (if I do post similar images from here....be worried...very worried!)

Please don't frighten an old man like that.

Allan (Cambridge)

We could have used you in NYC last year, Keith, to cover Sandy, the worst hurricane that ever hit this city. Me? I was home wrapped in a down comforter, and then without electricity for five days. 

In England some people without power for that length of time are getting around £250 ($375 approx).

Allan

Good question, Allan. But I don't know that there is one answer. I try not to interact with The System, if possible, and my discomforts were minor compared with those who lost homes and businesses on the shoreline. Those people certainly got help from state and federal in addition to their insurance. The recovery is still ongoing. Since I settled here in Lower Manhattan, after coming back from Oxfordshire, I've experienced three different blackouts. The 5 days with Sandy was the shortest. Most everything downtown was closed, but a couple of Aussis set up a generator in their bar near me and grilled burgers and poured beer. God bless our new New Yorkers from Down Under. 

Allan

Good question, Allan. But I don't know that there is one answer. I try not to interact with The System, if possible, and my discomforts were minor compared with those who lost homes and businesses on the shoreline. Those people certainly got help from state and federal in addition to their insurance. The recovery is still ongoing. Since I settled here in Lower Manhattan, after coming back from Oxfordshire, I've experienced three different blackouts. The 5 days with Sandy was the shortest. Most everything downtown was closed, but a couple of Aussis set up a generator in their bar near me and grilled burgers and poured beer. God bless our new New Yorkers from Down Under. 

I understand what you are saying Ed but Iam afraid I did not make myself clear. The power companies in the UK have a contractural obligation to keep the power on to homes and businesses at all times. When this fails (even for acts of God) and the power is off over a certain length of time then the power companies are obliged to offer compensation to their customers on a sliding scale (upwards) depending on how long they were without power. Generally this compensation is offered even if a customer has not applied for it.

So why not look at your power supply companies contract to see if there is a compensation clause in there?

Allan

I think we just got a subtraction of charges for those 5 days. Also the same for cable. I could be wrong but actually am not interested in collecting anything more. It was so hard for everyone--even the companies themselves. They had to replace and repair a lot of equipment. Those of us not in the flood zone really had an easy time of it. There are people who are still homeless. Very sad.

Paulette

Edit: A friend of mine did get $$$$ from her home insurance policy for spoiled food. My fridge wasn't full enough to warrant anything like that. Anyway, I was eating the food before it would spoil. In my building we were putting some things like milk on the windowsill. We had to be careful to put food in squirrel-proof containers. I saw a squirrel in a tree eating what looked like a piece of pizza. Should have grabbed my camera, but didn't.

Archived