Back to film gallery

Hi Ian

Just looking at your cornucopia of old images, and stumbled on your Mountains from the Air. Numbers 2,4,5,6 and 7 are aerial views of the Chamonix valley in the French Alps. I can't identify the peaks in 1,3 and 8 but they are probably from the same area. If you want the main peaks IDd for keywording I can easily do so.

Colin

2 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Hi Ian

Just looking at your cornucopia of old images, and stumbled on your Mountains from the Air. Numbers 2,4,5,6 and 7 are aerial views of the Chamonix valley in the French Alps. I can't identify the peaks in 1,3 and 8 but they are probably from the same area. If you want the main peaks IDd for keywording I can easily do so.

Colin

Thanks Colin, are those the ones that I have labelled as Zermat, Swizterland!  That would be very helpful and kind of you.

I have loads to do on those old ones. Some are Tiff that got sent in on CD/DVD in the old days and then captioned in Alamy but not on the originals.  I thought I'd shove them all out there and that would give me the impetus to get on with it....😊

Must get busy fixing the old film galleries for which I actually have annotated JPEGs versions and remove the TIFFS from public display,

Edited by geogphotos

Good to see the old Consul Classic in Great Dunmow. I had one of those in the 70s. Played a significant part in my development as an international traveller.

Alan

38 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

Good to see the old Consul Classic in Great Dunmow. I had one of those in the 70s. Played a significant part in my development as an international traveller.

Alan

Thanks Alan, have added that to the caption so that I don't forget when I get around to finishing those later ones.

Ian, I’m very happy you were able to stick with all the technical talk and make sense of what would work for you. I faded out of it, like I do when something goes on for eons. 😉  That’s my excuse for what would have probably been an abysmal failure on my part. But I did have some distractions, and tuned out for awhile. 
I love what you have done with these. Bang up job. Persistence wins the day. I do believe if I looked at the word persistence in the dictionary, I’d find your name and mug shot. 😊

Betty

That is very kind of you Betty. This has been a great example of the forum working together. All that initial technical discussion, Alan Gallery's amazing generosity in making and sending me the slide holder in the midst of this pandemic, and all the help from many others with captions etc.

Harry and Mark commented on the quality of the images in this collection. Here is the reason - which they might find of interest:

".......from 1962 when my Dad bought a Voigtlander Vitomatic camera, which at about £70 was an expensive purchase for those days. He used it for the next 25 years or so later swapping to a Rollei SLR, which had its advantages but he always remarked that the lens was not quite as good."

It's also great that the photographer's son is helping me with captions and picking up any typos that I make.   

Thanks to all.😊

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

".......from 1962 when my Dad bought a Voigtlander Vitomatic camera, which at about £70 was an expensive purchase for those days.

That's a very nice detail, I had wondered idly about what camera he might have used. These are terrific cameras, I've got a couple of them, really high build quality and high quality lenses. They are the 'deluxe' version of the Vito B and have a built-in rangefinder and a selenium cell exposure meter with a match needle on the top and in the viewfinder. This probably goes a long way towards explaining why the exposures are so good. There were two models, the Vitomatic II & III, The standard lens was the f2.8 Color-Skopar but there was also the f2 Ultron, the top of the range if you like. This was the original German Voigtlander company of course, the Voigtlander and Ultron names live on but are rebadged Japanese products, still good quality though. I particularly like the diminutive Vito B, you have to guess the exposure and zone focus but they fit in the palm of your hand. I serviced one of mine, they are just as good on the inside as they are on the outside, beautifully machined brass.

Edited by Harry Harrison

On 07/06/2020 at 11:19, geogphotos said:

Canon 100mm and Alan Gallery's 3D-printed slide holder. 

Would you care to post a photo of the setup? I've been using lockdown to finally attack my 6x6 collection. I've played around with the Illumitran but the flash is too bright without an ND filter, and as I don't have much of a budget I don't want to buy filters that will only be used for maybe a hundred or so scans and then be of no use. I tried using the Illumitran focusing light which actually gives good results qualitywise, but also some serious vignetting. So I got out my bellows and found I could get a decent scan using a 50mm enlarging lens - not the whole slide but enough to get a good 3:2 image from most of them. But the slide holder was designed for holding a 35mm mount and the pins that hold the clips are not spaced far enough apart to allow for a 6x6 between them. So I would be interested to see your slide holder in case it gives me ideas on how I might construct my own.

Alan

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

".......from 1962 when my Dad bought a Voigtlander Vitomatic camera, which at about £70 was an expensive purchase for those days.

I have the Wallace Heaton catalogue from 1961-2, the Vitomatic IIa is listed at £57 10s 11p, they don't list the III with the Ultron. The Balda Baldamatic and Kodak Retina range had similar high end cameras for around the same price. A Leica M3 with the f2.8 Elmar would set you back £130 13s 7p though you might want the MC clip-on exposure meter at £13 14s 2p, a bit ugly stuck on the top though. 

Edited by Harry Harrison

37 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

Would you care to post a photo of the setup? I've been using lockdown to finally attack my 6x6 collection. I've played around with the Illumitran but the flash is too bright without an ND filter, and as I don't have much of a budget I don't want to buy filters that will only be used for maybe a hundred or so scans and then be of no use. I tried using the Illumitran focusing light which actually gives good results qualitywise, but also some serious vignetting. So I got out my bellows and found I could get a decent scan using a 50mm enlarging lens - not the whole slide but enough to get a good 3:2 image from most of them. But the slide holder was designed for holding a 35mm mount and the pins that hold the clips are not spaced far enough apart to allow for a 6x6 between them. So I would be interested to see your slide holder in case it gives me ideas on how I might construct my own.

Alan

As you can see it is only for 35mm. The only problem I've found is some glass mounted ones which are too thick to go in.

No good for your medium format ones.

I0000LLYVMCdSFrc.jpg

I0000StkxDkXbx6k.jpg

I0000hufFBhwYjxw.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

On 07/06/2020 at 12:30, Bionic said:

There’s some very interest images there but I’m pretty sure you’ll find that image 0402IDM.jpg is of Lincoln Cathedral taken from Castle Square rather than York :)

Sorry but I think you will find it is Castle Hill. I used to get it wrong until I was told, not so politely, that I was wrong.

Allan

7 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry but I think you will find it is Castle Hill. I used to get it wrong until I was told, not so politely, that I was wrong.

Allan

Sorry Alamy that I keep making changes. You just can't get the staff....😊

Thanks Allan 🤙🏿

"Castle Hill square and Lincoln cathedral, Lincolnshire, England in 1963"

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Sorry Alamy that I keep making changes. You just can't get the staff....😊

Thanks Allan 🤙🏿

"Castle Hill square and Lincoln cathedral, Lincolnshire, England in 1963"

My pleasure. We must keep our details correct.

Allan

42 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

As you can see it is only for 35mm.

Thanks for this. Yes, I assumed it would be for 35mm only but I was hoping it might give me some ideas, which I think it has.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I've written a brief blog post about Roy Haslett which has a link to his images on Geography Photos. 

Comments and questions are very welcome and I'm sure that his son would be willing to answer/respond. He has provided a brief bio about his father. 

The images cover various UK locations, a few of Ireland, trips in France, some of Holland, a few of Bergen. Rome will be the next destination...

https://blog.geographyphotos.com/2020/06/18/roy-haslett-archive/

On 09/06/2020 at 09:06, Inchiquin said:

Alan

Here you go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1288306021?iid=160730139041&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=160730139041&targetid=908661474856&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9044923&poi=&campaignid=10204071591&mkgroupid=104953044434&rlsatarget=aud-629407027345:pla-908661474856&abcId=1145987&merchantid=113574127&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoaz3BRDnARIsAF1RfLfXyooxdQCMIH1COTU3qJ-qKoY8wDkUMgwjuDOlulmjgmk_SJlJ4YsaAqlbEALw_wcB

enough for at least 9 sheets for a couple of quid. IIRC it needs to come down 4 or 5 stops at least. I have a few 3NDs but also used some opal drafting film.

I did find that I got vignetting from the light source on 6x6- I probably wasn't careful enough with the setup but it's fixable in LR. In case you go back to the way of the 'Tran.

53 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I've written a brief blog post about Roy Haslett which has a link to his images on Geography Photos. 

Comments and questions are very welcome and I'm sure that his son would be willing to answer/respond. He has provided a brief bio about his father. 

The images cover various UK locations, a few of Ireland, trips in France, some of Holland, a few of Bergen. Rome will be the next destination...

https://blog.geographyphotos.com/2020/06/18/roy-haslett-archive/

Bumping this up 😁

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Here you go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1288306021?iid=160730139041&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=160730139041&targetid=908661474856&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9044923&poi=&campaignid=10204071591&mkgroupid=104953044434&rlsatarget=aud-629407027345:pla-908661474856&abcId=1145987&merchantid=113574127&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoaz3BRDnARIsAF1RfLfXyooxdQCMIH1COTU3qJ-qKoY8wDkUMgwjuDOlulmjgmk_SJlJ4YsaAqlbEALw_wcB

enough for at least 9 sheets for a couple of quid. IIRC it needs to come down 4 or 5 stops at least. I have a few 3NDs but also used some opal drafting film.

I did find that I got vignetting from the light source on 6x6- I probably wasn't careful enough with the setup but it's fixable in LR. In case you go back to the way of the 'Tran.

I used this one, 0.9 ND sheet, so-called 211. I found that one layer was enough cut to fit below the perspex diffuser, though that's using an 80mm lens which I tend to use even with 35mm and I wouold think necessary for 6x6 though I haven't tried that on the Illumitran. I also tried it over the contrast control unit but I'm pretty sure that doesn't help in the digital age.

5 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I used this one, 0.9 ND sheet, so-called 211. I found that one layer was enough cut to fit below the perspex diffuser, though that's using an 80mm lens which I tend to use even with 35mm and I wouold think necessary for 6x6 though I haven't tried that on the Illumitran. I also tried it over the contrast control unit but I'm pretty sure that doesn't help in the digital age.

I used ND3 because I had it. That will do the job, my reasoning is that with ND6 you get more steps of density but it's not too important what with LR and the latitude and DR of digital.

I think the CCU is superfluous now as well, for similar reasons.

On 07/06/2020 at 10:56, geogphotos said:

Better not, the neighbours might get worked up 🙃

Anyway, I have always wanted to visit Lincoln and Boston and will try and do so this year when we are allowed to travel and stay overnight in hotels. Oh and visit pubs.

Lincoln is realy good & worth visiting,  much bigger & the ppl. are better than boston which is pretty dead even before lockdown.