Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
geogphotos

Back to film gallery

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have posted a few of these already but thought that it might be of interest to show what I have done so far - and a not so sneaky way to try and get some site traffic 😊

 

Any further information about content or locations would be most welcome. Or indeed any constructive suggestions/comments.

 

https://www.geographyphotos.com/portfolio/G0000Pv_XE3j_7cQ

 

You might like to see how many of the locations you can spot?

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pure gold in there!

I just love looking at the cars.

BTW Boston still looks like that.

HMWKJH.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Pure gold in there!

I just love looking at the cars.

BTW Boston still looks like that.

 

 

I like the look of that pub. I did check Google to see that it was still open in business!

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

I like the look of that pub. I did check Google to see that it was still open in business!

The front door is actually curved to mach the shape of the building.

Very cheap in there. But they run out of a lot of stuff if you don't like Batemans.

HMWKJG.jpg

Here's the terrace.

KWA2WT.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

 

 

 

Is this making you homesick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

 

 

Is this making you homesick?

 Sick of home, maybe.🤪

Not in the slightest. They're a fat, ignorant, inward-looking bunch, (my family excepted, of course). Only thing that makes it interesting is some architecture, and recently, the Portuguese, Latvians and Poles and their restaurants. But now they've even told them to clear off.

So no. Not being able to travel there for a few months is no great hardship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

 Sick of home, maybe.🤪

Not in the slightest. They're a fat, ignorant, inward-looking bunch, (my family excepted, of course). Only thing that makes it interesting is some architecture, and recently, the Portuguese, Latvians and Poles and their restaurants. But now they've even told them to clear off.

So no. Not being able to travel there for a few months is no great hardship.

 

 

Don't hold back Mark 😄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Or indeed any positive suggestions/comments.

Not really a suggestion and I suppose not even positive but I think it's a shame that Photoshelter don't let you describe the subject of a gallery, some kind of narrative would be good, I'd like to know more about Roy Haslett in this example. It's not only Photoshelter though, some Squarespace themes do I think, some don't. One solution that I've seen is to replace one of the images with a jpeg of explanatory text but this doesn't scale well, either up or down, and ends up looking amateurish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Not really a suggestion and I suppose not even positive but I think it's a shame that Photoshelter don't let you describe the subject of a gallery, some kind of narrative would be good, I'd like to know more about Roy Haslett in this example. It's not only Photoshelter though, some Squarespace themes do I think, some don't. One solution that I've seen is to replace one of the images with a jpeg of explanatory text but this doesn't scale well, either up or down, and ends up looking amateurish.

 

I'm fairly sure that there is space for a gallery description. I just haven't done it yet.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2008/nov/11/roy-haslett-obituary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

 

Don't hold back Mark 😄

Shall I tell you what I really think.;)

I left there 32 years ago- for some reason I'd gone back after college in that London. I don't tell people where I'm from unless they prise it out of me with an oyster knife.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Shall I tell you what I really think.;)

 

 

Better not, the neighbours might get worked up 🙃

 

Anyway, I have always wanted to visit Lincoln and Boston and will try and do so this year when we are allowed to travel and stay overnight in hotels. Oh and visit pubs.

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

 

Better not, the neighbours might get worked up 🙃

 

Anyway, I have always wanted to visit Lincoln and Boston and will try and do so this year when we are allowed to travel and stay overnight in hotels. Oh and visit pubs.

Yes you could spend a pleasant few hours in Boston.

We've had b&b at the King's Arms. Very near the town centre.They sold us a very cheap whisky Mac once by accident. But there are even motel chains there now, probably cheaper.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks, very interesting to read that and so the 'boy' is the writer of the obituary, his son Martin. Mr. Haslett was a very good photographer, clearly we don't see the rejects but they are very well exposed (not that easy in 1962) and well composed, great social history. My favourites are the family picnic and the cottage interior, both very iconic of the times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry Harrison said:

very well exposed

and beautifully scanned, I have to say. Puts my efforts to shame, but then Ian isn't using an enlarging lens that apparently came free in a Christmas cracker. Must try harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes absolutely, very good scans, might I ask if they are from your 100mm Canon Macro setup or the Minolta scanner?

Edited by Harry Harrison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes absolutely, very good scans, might I ask if they are from your 100mm Canon Macro setup or the Minolta scanner?

 

 

Canon 100mm and Alan Gallery's 3D-printed slide holder. 

 

Thanks for the comments. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping that Mark Chapman will pitch in with some comments on the science pictures.

 

But perhaps he is following the John Lennon thread? 😉

 

Sorry Mark just my warped sense of humour

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s some very interest images there but I’m pretty sure you’ll find that image 0402IDM.jpg is of Lincoln Cathedral taken from Castle Square rather than York :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bionic said:

There’s some very interest images there but I’m pretty sure you’ll find that image 0402IDM.jpg is of Lincoln Cathedral taken from Castle Square rather than York :)

 

 

Perfect. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of hard work. A for effort!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Yes you could spend a pleasant few hours in Boston.

 

Boston was a favourite spot during my five years as a campervan nomad, and the Britannia was my kind of pub... a place where a miserable old geezer could drink cloudy beer and chat with other malcontents...

 

The Britannia pub at twilight, Boston, Lincolnshire, England UK Stock Photo

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Not really a suggestion and I suppose not even positive but I think it's a shame that Photoshelter don't let you describe the subject of a gallery, some kind of narrative would be good, I'd like to know more about Roy Haslett in this example. It's not only Photoshelter though, some Squarespace themes do I think, some don't. One solution that I've seen is to replace one of the images with a jpeg of explanatory text but this doesn't scale well, either up or down, and ends up looking amateurish.

 

 

You are absolutely right about this and it seems an obvious reason for SEO to have suffered and why the Classic version which allowed page text was more favoured by Google. But surely Photoshelter must be aware of this? Hopefully the new templates that will be along soon will fix this glaring ommission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

You are absolutely right about this and it seems an obvious reason for SEO to have suffered and why the Classic version which allowed page text was more favoured by Google.

I was rather hoping you were going to prove me wrong on this one. Yes, it's a shame, and I hadn't even thought about the SEO aspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've been downloading all my JPEGs with metadata so that I have everything on my HD here. Pleased to say that it does not count against the Bandwith limit of 50Gb a month. I just felt like i wanted to be flexible.

 

When the new templates arrive I am thinking about making a completely new start with PS by building galleries from scratch with SEO optimisation in mind and much trimmed keywording/tighter editing. I think I read that they are going to make it possible to run two websites from one account so might have one for this film interest and another for general stock.

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bionic said:

There’s some very interest images there but I’m pretty sure you’ll find that image 0402IDM.jpg is of Lincoln Cathedral taken from Castle Square rather than York :)

 

You would need a very long lens to take that shot of Lincoln Cathedral from York!!

 

John.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.