Uploads on subjects with multiple distinct subsubjects, eg.Parade

meanderingemu

Question

I would hate to be like those contributors that uploads 250 images of horses, with little differentiation,  from the same minor event, but i wonder what people feel is reasonable.

Let's take example a parade, with 2-3 images for each float be excessive?  

A folk festival for each distinct acts having 2-3 global images, 1 image of each distinctive costume, 2-4 portraits.  That might still mean 100-150 upload from one subject in one shot. 

Or should i only focus on the most likely to sell and skip the marginals?

Edited by meanderingemu

It's not the sort of thing I do, but I'd say far, far fewer from the same event if you're not treating it as news. . Hard to say, but a dozen would be pushing it unless you had someone well-known there.

These days I probably wouldn't even take the picture unless there was something striking about it. No point having hundreds of images to sort through.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Editing (selecting) is a skill that is learned.  I have yet to see or photograph an event that

would require uploading more than 20 images.

Chuck

So with 20-30 different cultural groups represented you just dismiss a majority of them?

If i look at your images of the Common Ground Committee public forum , you have 12 images for 2 speakers....  so this is 6 images per subject.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Sorry Jean,

It would appear that you really do not understand what I wrote or was tying to say.  It is a waste of my time to detail all of the factors that go into

image selection, as I wrote: "It is learned" and Google will not help you or anyone, except of course to see what else is available. 

The number of images of each speaker or any speaker at any event is irrelevant. 

"Experience is the basis of Knowledge."

Chuck

But you must have some way of explaining how this is learned. From sales? Intuition? Observation (of what?)? Working with editors? I sometimes feel like I flounder deciding which pictures to upload. It's a different skill than deciding what to photograph or composing the photo itself.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 24/02/2020 at 17:12, meanderingemu said:

Or should i only focus on the most likely to sell and skip the marginals?

My thoughts. For publication think most colourful, cutest youngster, attractive, characterful, quirky, diversity etc, but I always also have half a mind towards PU (I hear grinding teeth but the fees are worth thinking about) so include names and logos and so on.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

I need to get better at getting names of participants (and taking proper notes)...

My apologies, I was referring more to the names of the float or group, that can be photographed, thus:

RA6812.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

and welcome to my constant reality as a meanderer that i most time have no idea who I'm photographing.  I see crowd, i see a point of attention, i just capture.  Many times it's no one major beyond regional border, a few times it's been something interesting to research (though limited sellability on Alamy), and sometimes it turns out worth it. 

If I'm photographing the banner at the head of a march, I will often recognise many of the people behind it, but others I won't. I will photograph individuals, groups of 2, 3 or more, and some headshots. Also the banner full frontal, from the sides, and if possible from height with the camera on a monopod showing the extent of marchers behind the banner. Some stewarding can be a hinderance. Then later attempt to match unknown faces to names, some you never do. Preparation, if I know who may be supporting a march or speaking prior to marching or after and I'm not familiar with them, I'll search the web for a photo of them, then email screenshots/names to myself to view on my phone to assist in identification. Never hesitate in shooting, you don't want to later regret missing a shot. Then later there's decisions to make in culling, what to upload or save for possible later use. Just what goes through my head at the time.

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Sally R said:

....perhaps there isn't a hard and fast rule. Sometimes, even if an image is not of someone famous and highly saleable in that sense, I'm guessing there may be local councils/shires who might like an image for one of their publications.....

Exactly, you never really know what's going to sell. This went up as 'live' and shared on social media was picked up by the organisers and voted on as the best image from the event. No sales.

KH43B9.jpg

This 'record' shot uploaded as stock has sold. I assume they wanted a shot of this band, and I had one. That's the way I look at stock as working. In it to win it.

KH44G2.jpg

23 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It's not the sort of thing I do, but I'd say far, far fewer from the same event if you're not treating it as news. . Hard to say, but a dozen would be pushing it unless you had someone well-known there.

These days I probably wouldn't even take the picture unless there was something striking about it. No point having hundreds of images to sort through.

20 hours ago, phomme said:

My experience is 6 to 8 photos per event for newspapers,and a maximum of 20 photo for news agencies. 

thanks, i think i try to take too much specified images, with marginal appeal.  I have my reasons to attend these events, but starting to realise the processing time, including research is much higher the more i go, since more marginal means harder to find information.  I'm also realising that the people uploading 250 images of a horse show just do general processing and just general caption (not even name of participants), i need to  find balance between biggest impact and marginal with potential, especially those that can be used for something other than the specific event

On 26/02/2020 at 15:49, Chuck Nacke said:

Sorry Jean,

It would appear that you really do not understand what I wrote or was tying to say.  It is a waste of my time to detail all of the factors that go into

image selection, as I wrote: "It is learned" and Google will not help you or anyone, except of course to see what else is available. 

The number of images of each speaker or any speaker at any event is irrelevant. 

"Experience is the basis of Knowledge."

Chuck

Chuck

Common decency is also something you learn, but obviously you missed that class.  my name is Jean-François

i understand fully, do as i say not as i do.  Ten images for 3rd stringer political candidates.... I'll remember that. 

Edited by meanderingemu

18 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

But you must have some way of explaining how this is learned. From sales? Intuition? Observation (of what?)? Working with editors? I sometimes feel like I flounder deciding which pictures to upload. It's a different skill than deciding what to photograph or composing the photo itself.

I think we can by following the examples of these expert senior contributor.  For example in my next stop i will try and get 6-10 good images of Bobby Singh campaigning for Leadership for the second party in Canada

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Avpics said:

My thoughts. For publication think most colourful, cutest youngster, attractive, characterful, quirky, diversity etc, but I always also have half a mind towards PU (I hear grinding teeth but the fees are worth thinking about) so include names and logos and so on.

thanks.  I've been trying to do a few on these, I need to get better at getting names of participants (and taking proper notes).  When i captured the Jan 1 Polar dip in Toronto, the only name i took down was of the bundled up dog that thought his masters were crazy going swimming in that temperature.  don't think he'll buy a PU.  

If I could take a camera back in time, I would have photographed Patti Smith opening for (I think) Jim Carroll at the St. Marks Poetry Project.

If you're documenting a music festival, for the people you're documenting it for, but probably not for stock buyers: portrait and landscape of the acts.   If there's someone not well known setting audience on fire (Patti Smith at St. Marks), photograph that and get audience reactions, too.   Everyone gets the big name acts.   The first photos of the first performances of someone who goes on to become famous are going to be more valuable than photos of average mid-level acts. 

6 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Chuck

Common decency is also something you learn, but obviously you missed that class.  my name is Jean-François

i understand fully, do as i say not as i do.  Ten images for 3rd stringer political candidates.... I'll remember that. 

JF,

No class missed by me. 

I was polite in my earlier response to you. 

I also did not ask for your opinion, nor do I find any value in it.

It would appear to me that it is you that missed the class.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
deletion
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 4

4 hours ago, Avpics said:

My apologies, I was referring more to the names of the float or group, that can be photographed, thus:

RA6812.jpg

i understood,  i just extended it.  i just found a YouTube video of parade, and now trying to identity some of the participants in Tlaxcala carnaval parade. 

• Like 1

Now, I'm not really the one to be talking about matters of quantity since I have curtailed my uploading due to other creative projects (and pricing concerns) and as a result have very few photos on Alamy; but, I would say don't lock yourself into any arbitrary maximum number for events because they vary so much.

If you have striking shots from multiple angles, I would certainly post them. If they are mediocre, I personally would think twice unless it was something unusual like a celebrity shot. But then again, I see plenty of mediocre shots on news sites all the time, since of course they have other considerations like speed and whatever might be available at the time and in their budget.

But the fact is, at an event with people (or other distinct things), you just never know. Case in point: I took some photos at a protest a while ago and recently found out a pro-Trump counterprotester who started posing like a model whenever I turned the camera on her is someone known as "gun girl" or something like that. She's known for having walked around after graduation carrying an AR-10 rifle on Kent State campus to promote open carry, and evidently has similar controversies elsewhere, including recently when she got a cold reception at another campus, which is how I found out she was "known".

So now I'm thinking of uploading the shots of her at some point in the future, even though they had not been a high priority before. I do have to see if I consider any good enough before I post them, though. But now I'm open to considering shots where she may just be in the background that I wouldn't have before.

So the bottom line is, you never know who is in the crowd; who is just a face in the crowd today but notorious tomorrow; who might see a picture of themselves or someone they know and want it, etc. So I would say if you have good shots, the more the better. People, places, things, and situations that are insignificant* today could become significant tomorrow.

And you might be the only one with the shot.

Or you might be the one with a certain PERSPECTIVE on the scene that no one else has, and that a buyer is seeking.

*EDIT: I want to clarify that I meant "might seem" insignificant, because of course no one is insignificant.

Edited by KHA
  • Love 2

55 minutes ago, KHA said:

But the fact is, at an event with people (or other distinct things), you just never know. Case in point: I took some photos at a protest a while ago and recently found out a pro-Trump counterprotester who started posing like a model whenever I turned the camera on her is someone known as "gun girl" or something like that. She's known for having walked around after graduation carrying an AR-10 rifle on Kent State campus to promote open carry, and evidently has similar controversies elsewhere, including recently when she got a cold reception at another campus, which is how I found out she was "known".

So now I'm thinking of uploading the shots of her at some point in the future, even though they had not been a high priority before. I do have to see if I consider any good enough before I post them, though. But now I'm open to considering shots where she may just be in the background that I wouldn't have before.

you certainly should upload.  you never know what will suddenly make someone in the centre of an any controversy, and let's be honest the more extreme they are, the less it takes for the other side to grab anything.  

and welcome to my constant reality as a meanderer that i most time have no idea who I'm photographing.  I see crowd, i see a point of attention, i just capture.  Many times it's no one major beyond regional border, a few times it's been something interesting to research (though limited sellability on Alamy), and sometimes it turns out worth it. 

• Like 1

On 27/02/2020 at 01:54, The Blinking Eye said:

Does it speak to you? Does it have personality? Does it have any unique qualities? Does it make you think? Does it make you want to stare at it for a long time? Do you notice something new every time you look at it?

Pick it like people pick a lot of things they decide to let into their lives. Because you want someone to let your picture into their headspace. And their headspace is crowded.

• Love 1

16 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

and welcome to my constant reality as a meanderer that i most time have no idea who I'm photographing.  I see crowd, i see a point of attention, i just capture.

Yes, definitely the same here. And generally the more someone is trying to get my attention, the less I am drawn to them as a subject. At least when it comes to photography. Video is kind of a different story.

Edited by KHA
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, KHA said:

Does it speak to you? Does it have personality? Does it have any unique qualities? Does it make you think? Does it make you want to stare at it for a long time? Do you notice something new every time you look at it?

Pick it like people pick a lot of things they decide to let into their lives. Because you want someone to let your picture into their headspace. And their headspace is crowded.

I am noticing time gives me a better perspective. I can look back at photos I took a few months ago and say, "Whoa! That's a great photo!" and realize it's one I chose not to upload at the time. Sometimes my own agenda and biases get in the way of seeing the best photos in my collection.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

I am noticing time gives me a better perspective. I can look back at photos I took a few months ago and say, "Whoa! That's a great photo!" and realize it's one I chose not to upload at the time. Sometimes my own agenda and biases get in the way of seeing the best photos in my collection.

interesting.  One things i have noticed is looking back after through a set and seeing an image i had skipped and realising the message it was expressing either through angle or expression was not present in the ones i have chosen....  i'll have to see if this comes from bias, 

4 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Yeah, reevaluating old shoots can definitely be an informative part of the learning process, and of becoming conscious of your own style. There are so many things I see in photos when I take time to look closely at them that I didn't see the first time.

And I just want to clarify for the record on my shoots, in case there's any confusion, that I am happy to take and include shots from people of all political persuasions. In the case I was speaking of in my initial post, there are so many shots I haven't posted yet from that shoot, that ones I like more from an aesthetic or journalistic perspective will generally take higher priority over the rest as far as posting order, but I do intend to get to the others eventually (if I keep uploading here). Initially I was trying to upload them as quickly as possible from a hotel lobby the same day, so I hadn't even had a chance to do a full review of what I'd gotten; I just picked out a couple that quickly caught my eye, then had to leave for the day.

On 01/03/2020 at 04:55, Avpics said:

Exactly, you never really know what's going to sell. This went up as 'live' and shared on social media was picked up by the organisers and voted on as the best image from the event. No sales.

KH43B9.jpg

No need to sell/buy this image; it had already done it's work for free!!!! 

but give them 10 years and someone may remember and want a copy.