Anyone recommend a suitable bridge camera?

I am considering getting a bridge camera as a "take everywhere" camera. Unfortunately most seem to be on the unsuitable camera list.

Does anyone know of a good bridge camera that gives acceptable QC results?

I have tried compact cameras, but I just can't make friends with them!!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Christine

Everyone seems to like the Sony NEX-6. Personally I wouldn't go back to a bridge camera but the APS-C sensor cameras are doing a good job on image quality. Seriously considering dumping all this heavy Canon gear, due to me tearing a muscle in my shoulder carrying it all about. 

I am considering getting a bridge camera as a "take everywhere" camera. Unfortunately most seem to be on the unsuitable camera list.

Does anyone know of a good bridge camera that gives acceptable QC results?

I have tried compact cameras, but I just can't make friends with them!!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Christine

Christine,

I am not the person that wants to discourage people to buy this what they like. When somebody wants something they will have their reasons. But here i have to change the route. It seems that you need a camera that you can take easily with you but doesnt cost to much money. I will say like this .... so bigger sensor so better possibilities. For the price of a bridge camera you can get a Sony-NEX 3 for example. It is super small and has a much larger sensor than any bridge camera.

For stock i would advise you to check out this sony Nex 3.

Mirco

Everyone seems to like the Sony NEX-6. Personally I wouldn't go back to a bridge camera but the APS-C sensor cameras are doing a good job on image quality. Seriously considering dumping all this heavy Canon gear, due to me tearing a muscle in my shoulder carrying it all about. 

Paul,

I switched also from Canon 50d to Sony Nex-6. Sony Nex-6 has a much smaller body with a slightly larger sensor then the Canon 50d. But this is a personal choice. With image quality you will loose nothing. The rest is a question what fits better to you. Since i switched i make more images and with more fun since i feel more freedom. Others i know prefare to have the body fill their hands. The best is to go to the store and check it out yourself.

Mirco

Thanks for the imput Paul.

I already have a Nex 7. Nice camera but it doesn't do what I want. It falls down badly in the macro stakes. I may end up buying a 30macro for it, but I'm exploring all avenues first.

In particular I want a camera that will:

macro focus when I want to photograph close - eg fungus.

Will give a good depth of field when I want to show the fungus in its setting.

Can be used as a general landscape/townscape camera as well, without carrying a ton of equipment on my aging shoulders.

Maybe my dream camera doesn't exist!!

I already have a Nex 7. Nice camera but it doesn't do what I want. It falls down badly in the macro stakes. I may end up buying a 30macro for it, but I'm exploring all avenues first.

Can be used as a general landscape/townscape camera as well, without carrying a ton of equipment on my aging shoulders.

Christine,

By the way i have the macro 30 mm with my NEX-6 and you can see on my portfolion some snails and fungus made with on the first pages.

Mirco

Fuji X100, should be available at good second hand price as it's been superseded by the S.

Does good macro, and it's 23mm lens and APS C size sensor gives equivalent 35mm lens/full frame.

Update the firmware to version 2, just released, which speeds up start up time, and improves focus point selection.

Great IQ, got lots on Alamy, no problems with QC.

Christine, I can't help with a "suitable bridge camera" as I think they are all of the minescule sensor type with extra long zoom range lens fitted.

These factors combined will generally give a poor IQ and certainly not good enough for Alamy.

I found lately that my Canon kit was becoming too heavy to carry around, as well as being too obvious, so I sold it all on and have equiped myself with the Fuji X-E1 plus 18-55 lens and the 55-200 lens. I'm waiting for the 10-24 lens to arrive to add to the kit. All of this Fuji kit weighs a lot less than the Canon kit I was carrying around.

Fuji also produce a 60mm macro lens for this camera too (90mm equuiv).

Of course just after getting the X-E1 Fuji anounced the X-E2. Ho-Hum! I think that will be my second body to add to the kit but will wait for the reveiws first then decide.

Allan

Christine, I can't help with a "suitable bridge camera" as I think they are all of the minescule sensor type with extra long zoom range lens fitted.

These factors combined will generally give a poor IQ and certainly not good enough for Alamy.

I found lately that my Canon kit was becoming too heavy to carry around, as well as being too obvious, so I sold it all on and have equiped myself with the Fuji X-E1 plus 18-55 lens and the 55-200 lens. I'm waiting for the 10-24 lens to arrive to add to the kit. All of this Fuji kit weighs a lot less than the Canon kit I was carrying around.

Fuji also produce a 60mm macro lens for this camera too (90mm equuiv).

Of course just after getting the X-E1 Fuji anounced the X-E2. Ho-Hum! I think that will be my second body to add to the kit but will wait for the reveiws first then decide.

Allan

The 60mm is an incredible lens as well, wouldn't be without it!

Thanks for the help from everyone. Looks like the bridge camera idea is a non-starter.

Fuji XE1 sounds good I might look more closely at that possibility.

Someone might produce a decent length macro lens for the Nex system. Ah - just spotted a pig over the rooftop.

Thanks everyone. Food for thought.

Christine

I picked up a Sony NEX 6 about six weeks ago for a take everywhere camera. It will never replace my FF camera but it's perfect as a bridge camera. I picked up a 55-210mm lens to go with the kit lens and I find the combination versatile. About 30% of my more recent images were taken with the NEX 6 and I've had no trouble with its images passing QC. It even has a flash that I never use' WiFi that I intend to use and it will connect to a smart phone (possibly useful). My image DF77G4 is a closeup of a butterfly taken with the 55-210mm lens. The camera was capable of getting closer but I was unwilling to step into high brush in a wetland area populated by snakes and gators.

A little Sony lens advice for your NEX-7, Christine: I could do a good job on the fungus situation you described by using my Sony Zeiss 24 f/1.8. It focuses down to 6.5" and is probably the very sharpest NEX lens. With a 36mm view on any NEX, the DOF is helpful, and if you use the perspective tool in LR5 you can correct any distortion. 

I own the Sony 30mm f/ 3.5 macro, too. It is not as sharp as my 24, with falloff on the edges. I do use the 30, and it has not yet caused me to fail Alamy QC . . . but I  reach for the 24 first when doing closeups. 

The 24 is very costly, but consider the money you'll save by not buying that bridge camera.  ;)

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/recommended-digital-cameras.asp

That is the Alamy safe camera list. 

I'd run down the list and do a wee bit of hunting on what you feel would be right for you. I had a Fuji S4500 bridge camera before my 600D and the macro was really fun. A 2cm focal distance lol. 24mm wide end and 500mm zoom. It was fun. I do miss it, although, I don't miss it's speed. 

If it was me, and I was going to get rid of all of my Canon gear, I'd buy a Fuji x100s as they are getting so much praise just now. To be honest I can really see myself with one of those. 

Paul, why on earth would anyone who already owns a Sony NEX-7 interchangeable-lens camera want to buy the Fuji X100? 

I said I would sell all my gear for one. Probably didn't come through that way, but that's what I meant :) 

Paul, why on earth would anyone who already owns a Sony NEX-7 interchangeable-lens camera want to buy the Fuji X100? 

I said I would sell all my gear for one. Probably didn't come through that way, but that's what I meant :)

Okay . . . I didn't mean it would be bad for you, but surely it would not make sense for the OP. 

A week ago I was considering getting myself a Fuji X10 . . . until I read the reviews and saw it listed as not recommended by Alamy.   :( Ouch! The price of $350 on B&H here in NYC was what got my engine turning. 

Thanks for the help from everyone. Looks like the bridge camera idea is a non-starter.

Fuji XE1 sounds good I might look more closely at that possibility.

Someone might produce a decent length macro lens for the Nex system. Ah - just spotted a pig over the rooftop.

Thanks everyone. Food for thought.

Christine

I can heartily recommend the Fuji XE-1 as I have one but the XE-2 has just been announced with om worthwhile improvements : See Thom Hogan's sansmirror web site for a balanced view [ to all current mirrorless actually ]

Regards

John

Allan

But I did warn you Allan :)

Never mind, I have had my X-E1 kit (same as yours) for nearly five months and I am delighted with it, especially the lack of weight.. I would like the faster autofocus and smoother viewfinder of X-E2 but I will cope. If I continue to sell pix from my go anywhere X-E1 I will be able to afford an X-E2 (with trade in) by the Spring. I was even using it in the media centre at British Superbikes round at the weekend to shoot the press conferences, looked strange around all those Canons & Nikons with HUGE fast telephotos ( I managed trackside with a Canon 100-400mm zoom and even used a 135mm successfully).

The point is, it is earning its keep; I am getting shots because I have it with me when I would have otherwise left my "professional" kit at home. The best camera is the one you have with you!

I have the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 on Olympus OM-D - it is a superb lens and although not macro, it focuses close enough for fungi, and would be OK for larger fungi on the NEX (maybe not for the smallest). However, for the NEX I have two extension tubes bought on eBay (they are not expensive and have full coupling). All I need to do is use my 18-55mm with the shorter of the two tubes for fungi, with both tubes for extreme stuff like insects. Have not used much yet. Before I got the tubes, I carried a simple 49mm fit Minolta achromatic close-up lens and this makes quite a difference with the kit zoom.

I have the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 on Olympus OM-D - it is a superb lens and although not macro, it focuses close enough for fungi, and would be OK for larger fungi on the NEX (maybe not for the smallest). However, for the NEX I have two extension tubes bought on eBay (they are not expensive and have full coupling). All I need to do is use my 18-55mm with the shorter of the two tubes for fungi, with both tubes for extreme stuff like insects. Have not used much yet. Before I got the tubes, I carried a simple 49mm fit Minolta achromatic close-up lens and this makes quite a difference with the kit zoom.

David, when you say "full coupling," do you mean that you can autofocus with the 18-55mm lens?

Thanks David. I will try the extension tube/close up lens route and see if that will solve the problem.

Allan

But I did warn you Allan :)

Never mind, I have had my X-E1 kit (same as yours) for nearly five months and I am delighted with it, especially the lack of weight.. I would like the faster autofocus and smoother viewfinder of X-E2 but I will cope. If I continue to sell pix from my go anywhere X-E1 I will be able to afford an X-E2 (with trade in) by the Spring. I was even using it in the media centre at British Superbikes round at the weekend to shoot the press conferences, looked strange around all those Canons & Nikons with HUGE fast telephotos ( I managed trackside with a Canon 100-400mm zoom and even used a 135mm successfully).

The point is, it is earning its keep; I am getting shots because I have it with me when I would have otherwise left my "professional" kit at home. The best camera is the one you have with you!

Hi Martin,

Yes you did tell me about the X-E2 coming, but as everyone on here using the X-E1 were extoling the virtues of the images produced by it I decided to go with it.

I did not want to get into the situation that seems to have occurred with the Sony RX100 and RX100 II, where the images from the second incarnation were not as good as the first model.

Besides when I am fully satisfied with my choosen option of Fuji I would be looking for a second body, Just as I did with the megaweight Canon kit.

Allan

Archived